Nintendo 2DS

VirusZero

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
2ds.jpg

Nintendo has announced a new handheld that's a hybrid of DS and 3DS (it plays both DS and 3DS games). Otherwise it's pretty much a 3DS except it doesn't fold up and the 3D has been completely disabled at a hardware level. 

It's available October 12th for 130$.

Source

Thoughts on this new handheld?

Do you like the slate design? 

And how do you think it bodes that Nintendo has disabled the 3D at a hardware level? Does this mean Nintendo has already started to abandon 3D? (And that future consoles won't have 3D either? Or will have optional 3D-capable models?) 

I think this will be a big hit with many to be honest, many did not like the 3DS because of the 3D ability as they had so many problems with it so this is something to consider if you are interested in playing the games that were released by Nintendo for the 3DS but without the 3D.

For the extra $40 I'd get myself a 3DS.

The design sucks and I love playing my 3DS games in 3D.

Demon_Skeith said:
This needs to be in Nintendo news.

And, son of a THIS IS WHAT I WANTED! I could care less about the 3D. Though I don't like the design of this.
If you walk pass me with that think on the street, I'd be like, "WTF". Seriously, is that the best design Nintendo could think of?

I'm assuming this will be a greater pain to hold in your hand.

Something I said on the UGLY design:

It's like
[4:40:39 PM] Cantrell: The Wii U's tablet got raped by a DS
Other wise, awesome. I can get a Wii U for a dropped price, AND a 2DS!

Demon_Skeith said:
Anyways, apparently that is one screen on the 2DS but divide by plastic.
I read that at IGN. After looking at it again, it's looking like a child's toy, >_

The 2DS looks like a good handheld for people who just want to play games, but don't care about 3D, or a foldable case while enjoy paying less cash because the 2DS does not have 3D, and a foldable case.

I wasn't 100% where to put this topic... 

But regardless... I think Nintendo missed a good opportunity here to improve their product.

They should have added the second circle pad. Get rid of the need for an attachment (Circle Pad Pro, which they'll probably need to make a new version to fit the 2DS now) and just incorporate it right into the design. There was enough room.

The actual look of the system I don't care that much about. I'm not sure why they went with a solid non-folding design (since wouldn't that leave the screens more vulnerable to damage when not in use? Unlike with a clamshell type design which inherently protects the screens.)
And if this is being marketed for kids, I'd think they'd want to go for durability and screen protection rather than solid piece.

Am I the only one that sees nothing wrong with the screen? Its not awesome and cool, I agree, but that doesn't make it bad.

The button layout is perfect considering that it cannot be folded. Most of the gameplay takes place on the upper screen, so it makes sense to have the buttons up there.

I saw a video where the 2DS comes with a bag after a kid is done playing with it he puts it in a 2DS bag.  There also most likely be a lot of third-party screen protectors for the 2DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAExBTWIp3M

Perhaps, making the 2DS un-foldable is better for people who drop their things a lot since sometimes the hinge parts which fold the screens up and down gets loose, or breaks when you open and close it too hard, or you drop the DS on the floor by accident.

35jklts.jpg

froggyboy604 said:
Perhaps, making the 2DS un-foldable is better for people who drop their things a lot since sometimes the hinge parts which fold the screens up and down gets loose, or breaks when you open and close it too hard, or you drop the DS on the floor by accident.

35jklts.jpg
This brings back memories of my tank NDS ;p

That happened to my silver DS. My white DS is almost there. The screen is already starting to display those annoying lines and you can see the crack.

The 3DS is different in built, so it's not going to break like the DS or DS Lite (part that connects the top and bottom).

Some people on YouTube complain of a woobly/loose hinge, so the 2DS would be good for people who don't like Woobly/loose screens since the case is a solid case of plastic which can't wooble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnKuJfav5wk

Back