Nintendo 3DS Review

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
[SIZE=11pt]We've seen reviews of 3DS games and non 3DS games. Reviews of third party games, eShop games and who knows what else. But do you know what we somehow haven't seen on Nintendo 3DS Community?

[/SIZE]A review of the actual system. So here's my review of the 3DS console [SIZE=11pt]itself and all the features it includes. I'll be evaluating it on
hardware/tech design, the built in software, the game library as of this time and various other things, so read on to find out how good the 3DS really is as a games console.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Hardware Design

As far as form factor and hardware design goes, the 3DS is nearly perfect. It maintains all the design quality found in the DS Lite and XL, and the normal 3DS system fits nicely into the pocket of any type of jeans or coat you may be wearing.

[/SIZE]In fact, I'd actually say the original 3DS is better designed than the XL is. [SIZE=11pt]Sure the latter mode has a bigger screen and some minor design changes, but you know what? I haven't ever really been in a circumstance where the system or screen was too small to begin with. The buttons are perfectly usable for me, the screen is always crystal clear regardless of the game and in actuality, the smaller original 3DS model seems like it's much more convenient as an actual handheld. I mean, the 3DS and the original DS family were already pushing the limits of what you could comfortably shove in your pocket to begin with, while the larger models seem like something that's not at all practical unless you've either got some sort of handbag/rucksack or are purely using them in a home environment.

Build quality is impressive too. I've dropped my own 3DS system a few times and as of now, nothing seems to have broken or fell off as a result. Now granted, that's not exactly strenuous testing of the 'drop down four flights of stairs or stick the console in a blender' variety, but what's the chance that's ever going to happen to most people? No, the 3DS is extremely well built and sturdy enough to last. It’s certainly better than some older Nintendo handhelds with sticking L/R buttons or the screen nearly falling off due to a faulty hinge.

So as far as the actual hardware and system design goes, the Nintendo 3DS is top notch. It's hard to break, it's got a fairly comfortable button layout and things like the screen are easy enough to see.[/SIZE]

Does the 3DS hurt my [SIZE=11pt]eyes?

No. The 3D effect is mostly harmless, at least when used in moderation (aka not for hours upon hours on end). Ignore the scare stories the tabloids and other media seem to put out a few months or years back.

You can also turn off the 3D effect by turning the slider down. Seriously, it's completely optional. Did everyone outside the gaming community miss that memo a few months or years back?

Also, there are way worse things for eyes than 3D. Like any of those games based off urban legend Polybius and their annoying gimmick effects. Or many overly fast animated gifs or CSS/JavaScript background effects. Quite a few ROM hacks too; some of the flashing gimmicks in those could probably be ruled illegal under the conventions of war.[/SIZE]

So ignore the scare stories people, the 3DS' 3D effect is perfectly harmless [SIZE=11pt]for the most part and can be fully disabled at any point in time.[/SIZE]

Menu Design

Menu wise the 3DS is pretty decent. Is it fantastic? Maybe not, [SIZE=11pt]there are a few minor interface design issues that should have been taken care of. But generally the menu and interface works well, and if you're used to the Wii or Wii U, the 3DS system menu will be an absolute doddle to get the hang of and extremely easy to use in general.

Built in Software

[/SIZE]The built in software for the system is of mixed quality. Some of it like [SIZE=11pt]StreetPass Quest/Find Mii (see this review for more) is absolutely brilliant and could have been worth real money as an eShop title. How good is the rest of this software? It might not be quite as good. Here are my thoughts on all the built in apps:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]AR Games

[/SIZE]The first interesting built in app is this collection of Augmented Reality [SIZE=11pt]based games. What does this mean? Well basically, you view the 'real' world through the 3DS and it adds various things like enemies and Miis to the environment. So you can take photos of your Miis and Nintendo characters as if they were standing on your desk or doing things in the real world, fight a dragon with some sort of shooting based game or go fishing with your desk acting like a fishing pond.[/SIZE]

They work well enough, but aren't really worth playing through more than once [SIZE=11pt]or twice.

Face Raiders[/SIZE]

A small game that involves shooting down people's heads using Augmented [SIZE=11pt]Reality, this is one of those things that's a great 3DS tech demo, but a pretty dull game.

Basically, the 'heads' of people you take photos of get transformed into these weird helicopter like robots and start flying around and shooting lasers while you have to shoot them back in the style of a First Person Shooter. And as viewed through the 3DS, it's meant to look like they exist in the real world and you're actually defeating them.

But practically speaking, Face Raiders is just a toy. A clever tech demo type one with a lot of potential, but still a shallow mini game based on a feature that needs a lot of tweaking before it can really become usable for anything substantial.

3DS Sound[/SIZE]

This is actually fairly impressive for what's only a music/sound playback app, [SIZE=11pt]what with all the visualizers you can choose from and the effects you can apply. You've got controllable Excitebike, a Star Fox type game, a Game and Watch game that even keeps track of your score and quite a few other neat touches as well.

And you can do things like have it automatically scroll through your playlist and auto play all the songs along the way, or add them to groups to see whether you're 'compatible' with people you meet over StreetPass (aka share similar music tastes).

[/SIZE]It's not perfect however. For one thing, the default settings for how the sound [SIZE=11pt]is played (aka stereo or surround sound mode) make your songs so damn quiet you can barely hear them and muffle them as well. Not the biggest deal ever since you can change it to Mono to actually hear your music properly, but it's a bit of a shame the other options don't seem to have been well tested or designed.

[/SIZE]The special 'effect' filters are pretty poor too. Do they work in theory? [SIZE=11pt]I guess so, but in practice only the radio/analogue option makes the music sound anything like the name suggests. For instance, the eight bit game filter is basically useless for 90% of songs you can find. I tried it on these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svsX8wk0aLk

Above: Donkey Kong Country 2 Crocodile Cacophony[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck5lTIHq45Q

Above: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow Castle Corridor[/SIZE]

And the results were... underwhelming to say the least. For Crocodile Cacophony, [SIZE=11pt]it sounded less like a real eight bit version of the song and more like a Chinese video game pirate tried to port it to the NES and failed miserably in the process. Literally, you couldn't even make out a pattern among the noise.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGUKPL3SD5g[/SIZE]

Above: Donkey Kong Land 2's version. I know a filter can't be as good as
[SIZE=11pt]this, but if they made a decent version on an eight bit system that was better in the
90s..
.[/SIZE]

As for Castle Corridor, again, sounded like a bunch of random noise. Yes, [SIZE=11pt]I know this song is way too complicated for a NES or Game Boy classic, but come on, the effect sounded like Castlevania; Mario Teaches Typing Edition.

[/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQbxoOxxNiE

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]Above: Actually, that probably sounded better than what I heard...

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]Instrumental isn't much cop either. Never had the misfortune to try it on [SIZE=11pt]a song with actual vocals, but it seems to be coded to randomly near mute a random sound channel in the song rather than try and detect whether actual words are being sung. The results were:[/SIZE]

Fateful Battle (Super Mario Galaxy 2): Literally no difference whatsoever

Terrormisu battle (Wario Master of Disguise): Sounded like the song as heard on
[SIZE=11pt]the moon.[/SIZE]

Dark Hallway (Luigi's Mansion): Like a drum was constantly being beaten and
[SIZE=11pt]nothing else. [/SIZE]

Yeah, the filters aren't much cop. Still, it's a decent enough [SIZE=11pt]music/sound player, especially given that it's free and built into the system.[/SIZE]

3DS Camera

The 3DS camera is another mixed bag. On the one hand, it lets you [SIZE=11pt]take 3D photos, something which very few other devices on the market are capable of. It also has the usual iPhone style camera stuff like being able to take photos with both the inner and outer camera (so you can photograph your own face), being able to scan QR codes to access the URLs linked to them and various other neat features.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]And with additional options like video recording, a night time photo option and various filters and settings, there are definitely a lot of things you can do with the 3DS camera.[/SIZE]

However, it's not all positive. For one thing, the picture[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]quality is pretty appalling, with about the same general quality as your average cell phone camera or webcam. Good enough for emergency pictures, but it's not exactly going to be the number one choice for a professional photographer.

[SIZE=11pt]Additionally, the setup of the camera app can be a bit confusing. Why for example do you get one set of options when you press L
or R at the home menu but another set when you actually select the 3DS Camera application? Couldn't Nintendo have merged both sets of settings together? Because the current system where each camera app has its own options and things seems like a case of poor design to me, the kind of lack in consistency that professional user interface designers would consider very amateurish. So yeah, the 3DS camera is certainly a mixed bag in terms of quality.[/SIZE]

Web Browser

The web browser is pretty good as far as handheld device browsers go. [SIZE=11pt]Yeah you can't really use it for your day to day internet surfing due to the lack of support for plugins like Flash and how slow it seems to load pages, but it generally displays them like they look on a PC screen, and you can touch the screen to click links or zoom in or whatever you need to do.[/SIZE]

So it's not the best web browser in the world, but it works at least as well as [SIZE=11pt]the iPhone or Blackberry's one, so it's something that's at least usable in an emergency or if you need to randomly look something up while travelling.

eShop[/SIZE]

It's a shop system where you can get downloadable games for real money. It [SIZE=11pt]works well with all the different categories and things, and you can give ratings of the titles you buy, but it's something that doesn't really need much description and works perfectly well for what it's intended for.[/SIZE]

Nintendo Video

I don’t use Nintendo Video in any way, and hence I cannot comment on it. It does seem to have some decent shows you [SIZE=11pt]can watch though.[/SIZE]

Nintendo Zone

This is completely useless to most people and has nothing of any real value. [SIZE=11pt]Add that you either have to carefully setup your router or go to a public access point to use it, and you've got what's arguably the most worthless app on the 3DS. At least it's free I suppose...

Nintendo Letterbox/SwapNote[/SIZE]

For a free app, SwapNote is a fantastic little system. It's got lots of [SIZE=11pt]different types of stationary you can use for your letters, you can use different coloured text, attach images or sound clips and do quite a few other neat things.

For an actual chat system on the other hand, it really isn't that great. The interface looks nice, but is clunky and reminiscent of most of Nintendo's official Flash based game websites in that it's awkward to navigate in a hurry. It's also rather slow to boot, with you never quite knowing whether anyone received your letters or not until they actually receive and reply to them (it uses SpotPass to deliver and receive letters, which seems like it activates whenever the hell it feels like it).

So it's a decent enough freebie, but it's not going to replace online forums or instant messenger services any time soon.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Game Library[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

The number one reason to buy a video game console, the games the[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]3DS has available are fantastic across the board. You've got classics like Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus Uprising, you've got improved ports like The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D and the upcoming Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and you've got all the trademark Nintendo series; Mario, Zelda, Pokémon (from this October), Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing... it's all there.

And with such great upcoming titles as Pokémon X/Y versions,[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Mario and Luigi Dream Team, the 3DS' game library is going from strength to strength and will only get better as the years go on. This is definitely a reason to purchase a 3DS even ignoring the system itself.

[SIZE=11pt]Battery Life[/SIZE]

As far as this goes; the 3DS really isn't as bad as some people make it out to [SIZE=11pt]be. Yes the battery life is in the region of between three and five hours rather than the ten or twenty some may have expected, but it never usually feels like it runs out that quickly. Heck, my phone probably runs out of power about as quickly as the 3DS does![/SIZE]

And you can make it last longer by doing things like turning off the 3D effect [SIZE=11pt]or Wi-Fi, so battery life is never really a big problem for the system. After all, how many people really play games on the move for long periods of time? For a daily commute or a standard journey, there's plenty of battery power to last the whole trip.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Conclusion/Overall Comments[/SIZE]

In conclusion, the 3DS is another great system from Nintendo[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]with all the classic games and trademark high quality design you'd expect. With a wide array of decent built in software and features adding even more to the deal, it's one of Nintendo's best handheld games consoles yet and is one that all gamers should buy.

If you haven't done so already for whatever reason, go ahead and[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]buy the system now.

P.S. Then join this forum and talk to everyone else about it!

Back