Nintendo 3DS RPG's

Moclon

Best troll ever
Awards
Credits
The 3DS has a small variety of RPG's from what I understand, so for now, the most notable ones are:

-Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance 3D
-Tales of the Abyss
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
-Heroes of Ruin
-Kid Icarus: Uprising

And some DS games, like

-Final Fantasy
(And all other final fantasy games)
-Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies.
-Pokemon White/Black
(And all other Pokemon games)

So, which one would you recommend and WHY?
(Consider:
Replayability
Gameplays
Graphics
Sound)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3DS has a small variety of RPG's from what I understand, so for now, the most notable ones are:

-Tales of the Abyss
-Heroes of Ruin

And some DS games, like

-Final Fantasy XI: Sentinels of the Starry Sky
-Pokemon White/Black

(Consider:
Replayability
Gameplays
Graphics
Sound)

I recommend all of the one's you mention except Final Fantasy and KH:3D seeing that I never played a FF game and KH:3D hasn't been released in NA yet. I own and have played all the other titles you mentioned. I have put many hours into Devil Survivor but all the game takes place on the touch screen ( i put 80 hrs into this game and still haven't finished it), Ocarina of Time is pretty self explanatory, Kid Icarus came out to be one amazing game ..not only in solo mode buy in multiplayer ..the graphics, the cheesy comedy, and the music are great, really high re-play ability. Tales is very good too except I found the colors a bit dull as compared to LoZ, and Heroes of Ruin: very short solo mode but very amazing online play with mic chat.

-Tales of the Abyss
-Heroes of Ruin

And some DS games, like

-Pokemon White/Black

(Consider:
Replayability
Gameplays
Graphics
Sound)

I recommend all of the one's you mention except Final Fantasy and KH:3D seeing that I never played a FF game and KH:3D hasn't been released in NA yet. I own and have played all the other titles you mentioned. I have put many hours into Devil Survivor but all the game takes place on the touch screen ( i put 80 hrs into this game and still haven't finished it), Ocarina of Time is pretty self explanatory, Kid Icarus came out to be one amazing game ..not only in solo mode buy in multiplayer ..the graphics, the cheesy comedy, and the music are great, really high re-play ability. Tales is very good too except I found the colors a bit dull as compared to LoZ, and Heroes of Ruin: very short solo mode but very amazing online play with mic chat.

And I would recommend the Final Fantasy games and KH.

Joking aside, you really should play the Final Fantasy series. FFIV for the DS is a pretty good one to get your feet wet with, since we are focusing on the DS.

Also, Kid Icarus is not an RPG. RPGs rely on exploration, story, and setting to tell the story of the game and KI does not really have much exploration at all (not to get into the argument of story). Furthermore, they are characterized by dynamic character interaction, which does not take place in KI either. Oh, and the gameplay mechanics, but that's another variable not worth fully explaining.

Heroes of Ruin would be a good investment only if you have other friends who play RPGs. Speaking of which, Dragon Quest was left off your list of DS games! Dragon Quest IX is the best old school RPG of all time and fantastic to play with (local) friends. In general, if you want an old school RPG, you should grab a DQ game.

UGGH, I hate you, you just gave me an urge to buy ALL of them XD
Well anyways, I have a PAL 3DS, meaning I can play EU games.
KH:3D Is in EU, no?

I'm basically stretched between:
KH:3D, because I love the KH series.
Heroes of Ruin: I love diablo clones and multiplayer handheld games.
Ocarina of TIme: Because Zelda's are just Epic.

I already own KI:U BTW.

-Tales of the Abyss
-Heroes of Ruin

And some DS games, like

-Pokemon White/Black

(Consider:
Replayability
Gameplays
Graphics
Sound)

Joking aside, you really should play the Final Fantasy series. FFIV for the DS is a pretty good one to get your feet wet with, since we are focusing on the DS.

Also, Kid Icarus is not an RPG. RPGs rely on exploration, story, and setting to tell the story of the game and KI does not really have much exploration at all (not to get into the argument of story). Furthermore, they are characterized by dynamic character interaction, which does not take place in KI either. Oh, and the gameplay mechanics, but that's another variable not worth fully explaining.

Heroes of Ruin would be a good investment only if you have other friends who play RPGs. Speaking of which, Dragon Quest was left off your list of DS games! Dragon Quest IX is the best old school RPG of all time and fantastic to play with (local) friends. In general, if you want an old school RPG, you should grab a DQ game.
WOW, I put "Final Fantasy: Sentinels of the Starry Sky" LOL, that should be an epic game
biggrin.gif

Ill fix it now (Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky is the name of the game I meant to say XD, I own it BTW.)

Oh, and some people consider KI:U to be a RPG because of the weapon collecting, don't ask me, I just go with the flow~~.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kid Icarus is a third person shooter / action game, not a RPG. Here are some good RPG's I have played on the system though:

Heroes of Ruin - Gameplay is solid, graphics are pretty good for a 3DS game (despite the reviews which say they are horrible) and has a pretty robust character customization with 3 different skill trees for each different class.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D - Was my first time playing the game and loved every second of it. Great visual and sound and has a pretty good length (took me about 35 hours). Plus there is the master quest after you beat the game o give you even more replayability)

DS games:

Pokemon games - self explanatory

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier - Picked this up for $10 a couple of weeks ago and it is an awesome game. It is a turn based action - rpg in which you attack with certain pre-determined combos. when you press the attack button your combo starts, and it is up to you if you want to continue the combo, tag in a partner, or use a super attack. It is hard to explain but for 10 bucks it is a great game.

The World Ends With You - have not had the chance to play this one yet but it is considered by many one of the best RPG's on the DS, if not ever. If you ever see it try it out and see for yourself. A game as loved as this cannot be that bad.

Kid Icarus is a third person shooter / action game, not a RPG. Here are some good RPG's I have played on the system though:

Heroes of Ruin - Gameplay is solid, graphics are pretty good for a 3DS game (despite the reviews which say they are horrible) and has a pretty robust character customization with 3 different skill trees for each different class.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D - Was my first time playing the game and loved every second of it. Great visual and sound and has a pretty good length (took me about 35 hours). Plus there is the master quest after you beat the game o give you even more replayability)

DS games:

Pokemon games - self explanatory

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier - Picked this up for $10 a couple of weeks ago and it is an awesome game. It is a turn based action - rpg in which you attack with certain pre-determined combos. when you press the attack button your combo starts, and it is up to you if you want to continue the combo, tag in a partner, or use a super attack. It is hard to explain but for 10 bucks it is a great game.

The World Ends With You - have not had the chance to play this one yet but it is considered by many one of the best RPG's on the DS, if not ever. If you ever see it try it out and see for yourself. A game as loved as this cannot be that bad.
I already played TWEWY, I LOVED it, but it was too short.
When I saw all the Metacritic reviews about Heroes of Ruin and people complaining, my dream finally snapped of a diablo-like handheld game, what a shame.
Zelda games are ALWAYS good, I can't go wrong with that, so I think I'll get Ocarina of time
biggrin.gif
Thanks for commenting guys~~
Now I just gotta resist a few more weeks until I can buy it >.<

I saw your PM before this thread, so you already know my view (heck, my avatar supports my view). However, seeing as really no one else has advocated Tales of the Abyss, I'll do a brief comment. I took a chance on getting Tales, knowing nothing of the game or series. It's now my favorite RPG of all time, and I'm currently doing something in game to get a better second playthrough before starting said playthrough. It's a truly amazing game, and if you're an RPG fan at all, you'll love it...Gahh, I want to write so much more, but I'll curtail myself...read my review on Tales for the in-depth look.

I saw your PM before this thread, so you already know my view (heck, my avatar supports my view). However, seeing as really no one else has advocated Tales of the Abyss, I'll do a brief comment. I took a chance on getting Tales, knowing nothing of the game or series. It's now my favorite RPG of all time, and I'm currently doing something in game to get a better second playthrough before starting said playthrough. It's a truly amazing game, and if you're an RPG fan at all, you'll love it...Gahh, I want to write so much more, but I'll curtail myself...read my review on Tales for the in-depth look.

Mph, I'm still wondering between that and Ocarina.

I'll get both eventually, but which one first? what would you recommend? Ocarina of Time or Tales of abyss?

Mph, I'm still wondering between that and Ocarina.

I'll get both eventually, but which one first? what would you recommend? Ocarina of Time or Tales of abyss?

If you've played any version of OOT, go for Tales...OOT wasn't changed much at all as far as the actual game. If not...if you want an RPG, go Tales, as Legend of Zelda in general I feel falls more in the Adventure category. If you want Adventure, Zelda's hard to beat...Tales has a lot of exploring, but it doesn't have the same flair that Zelda does at introducing locales and making each one interesting...a couple of Tales' locales are kind of generic, despite the fact that a lot of the areas are pretty cool (the Sephiroth locations especially so). So essentially, if you want an Adventure with some RPG elements, Zelda executes it better. RPG with some adventure your thing? Tales.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

This game should be put on that RPG list, since this is a tactical shooter with lots of RPG elements. Is kinda like an Advance Wars game or a light Final Fantasy Tactics.

It's hard to chose a game that got these reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/tales-of-the-abyss

Between a game that got THESE reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d

Still, you make Tales sound REALLY good.

Also, I just checked my local store, and it doesn't seem to have Tales of Abyss.

I played it a few years ago and remember it being a great RPG. It was one of the few DS games that used touch controls in a normal feeling way.

Also, I just checked my local store, and it doesn't seem to have Tales of Abyss.
It wouldn't do. Most stores didn't stock it. It had rather a limited print-run, you see. You'll need to buy it online, and even then you might struggle.

It wouldn't do. Most stores didn't stock it. It had rather a limited print-run, you see. You'll need to buy it online, and even then you might struggle.
Fudge, I guess I'll get OOT first then, it's one of the cheapest games I can find here, and for 40 hours of gameplay it's a godsend.

-Tales of the Abyss
-Heroes of Ruin

And some DS games, like

-Pokemon White/Black

(Consider:
Replayability
Gameplays
Graphics
Sound)

not only KIU, but Ocarina Of Time is also not a RPG. All Zelda games have RPG elements. but none of them except Zelda 2 are actually RPG.

Back