• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonk2r

LENGEDARY POKÉMON EXPERT
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Okay I have I question everybody to day have a smartphone well almost every one but I was thinking is it possible for Nintendo new handheld to be a smartphone. The reason reason I ask thus us because I would. See Nintendo apps for smartphone .http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.m.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FVideo_game_console_emulator&ei=ynJgUavSFeLk4APZ_4HIBg&usg=AFQjCNH3dO3Azj3MHVp0nCkRccwoKZ_e9Q.its called emulator it can be use for Ds and gameboy and other stuff .but the thing is will Nintendo actually make a smartphone handheld. Tell me you guys opinions.

I doubt they'll ever make a Smartphone as their next handheld. Seems like a potential legal/business minefield, since they'd be competing with not only games consoles but Apple, Nokia, Microsoft, LG, etc. In fact, I think these few things would make a Nintendo smartphone a tad unviable:

1. Nintendo has no experience with phones. Or decent communication systems. Look at Miiverse. SwapNote. Their previous forum attempts. Terrible design and management and no real knowledge of how people communicate with each other. I dread to see them design an interface for something like a smartphone with everyday usage.

2. They like to/have to make a profit on their products, whereas phones are heavily subsidised by companies that provide data plans/calls/phone services. So either Nintendo would have to figure out how to sell the console as part of a plan with a network/carrier, or would have to compete with high priced hardware against systems being practically given away. And the iPhone.

3. App stores. People expect phone games and apps to be fairly cheap, like between zero and ten dollars a piece. Additionally, most current app stores have next to zero real moderation or quality control standards. So Nintendo would either have to lower their standards massively and then severely underprice their work to compete, or somehow persuade people to pay more for their work, and for app makers to actually meet some sort of standard. Seems like a different thing to do now, especially given that the apps available on 'iTunes' or the Play store are so numerous and so cheap.

4. Legal issues. Not sure what the laws are about phone design and selling smartphones, but I assume they're different from the ones governing video game systems. Even more so if Nintendo ends up becoming a telephone service itself and actually acts as a network, due to having to cooperate with authorities in regards to any illegal activity that's taken place using their services.

5. Good design for a smartphone and a games console are very different things. Remember the N Gage? Great example of what kind of mess you end up with by trying to make a system that both plays games and makes phone calls. The 3DS would be a terrible phone design because of it's bulky size/design and likely awkward button positions, and a phone would a terrible game console design because it has the wrong buttons/input for your average handheld/console game, Not sure both can be reconciled easily.

I doubt they'll ever make a Smartphone as their next handheld. Seems like a potential legal/business minefield, since they'd be competing with not only games consoles but Apple, Nokia, Microsoft, LG, etc. In fact, I think these few things would make a Nintendo smartphone a tad unviable: 1. Nintendo has no experience with phones. Or decent communication systems. Look at Miiverse. SwapNote. Their previous forum attempts. Terrible design and management and no real knowledge of how people communicate with each other. I dread to see them design an interface for something like a smartphone with everyday usage. 2. They like to/have to make a profit on their products, whereas phones are heavily subsidised by companies that provide data plans/calls/phone services. So either Nintendo would have to figure out how to sell the console as part of a plan with a network/carrier, or would ahave to compete with high priced hardware against systems being practically given away. And the iPhone. 3. App stores. People expect phone games and apps to be fairly cheap, like between zero and ten dollars a piece. Additionally, most current app stores have next to zero real moderation or quality control standards. So Nintendo would either have to lower their standards massively and then severely underprice their work to compete, or somehow persuade people to pay more for their work, and for app makers to actually meet some sort of standard. Seems like a different thing to do now, especially given that the apps available on 'iTunes' or the Play store are so numerous and so cheap. 4. Legal issues. Not sure what the laws are about phone design and selling smartphones, but I assume they're different from the ones governing video game systems. Even more so if Nintendo ends up becoming a telephone service itself and actually acts as a network, due to having to cooperate with authorities in regards to any illegal activity that's taken place using their services. 5. Good design for a smartphone and a games console are very different things. Remember the N Gage? Great example of what kind of mess you end up with by trying to make a system that both plays games and makes phone calls. The 3DS would be a terrible phone design because of it's bulky size/design and likely awkward button positions, and a phone would a terrible game console design because it has the wrong buttons/input for your average handheld/console game, Not sure both can be reconciled easily.

okay 1 it dose not matter they don't have to work with a phone company to make stuff like that.2 how the hell you know Nintendo have no experience with do you even have a job at Nintendo if you do then you are right.but know you wrong just wrong. 3 appstores yes they would be pricy but there price would be a bit different. Plus it would not be Google appstore it would be eshop yes shop.4ummm legal well if its not from any other company its legal okay.-_______-5 design. -____________________________________-.Nintendo has great design

first off dragon you asked for opinions. so don't get so defensive if you want opinions.

sorry dragon your really wrong here nin3DS is very right.. to be able to have a phone company they would have to build or rent usage of cell phone tower's for the call's the games are already Pricey a lot of smart phones are $300+ at least decent ones that are fast. Nintendo consoles are decently fast but even the Wii u seems weak in comparison to a smart phone that can do ANYTHING there is an APP for.

LISTEN CLOSE HERE.. Nintendo fell behind ps2 and Xbox with the internet age.. they still even with the 3ds have ... issues.. its a little better but >.> don't get me wrong i thank that we do not have to pay $50+ a year for there online services.. and compared to the wii days they got a little better, how many games really have voice? "made by Nintendo". Heroes of ruin "not Nintendo" does but the voice is a bit like working with a CB radio that messes up at times lol... i would never ask Nintendo to make a smart phone EVER.They can stick with what they know and get better day by day if they pay attention to what the fans like us are saying, as long as we dont ask for a smartphone..

side note.. emulators are not technically illegal but roms can be so be careful playing with that stuff..

Last edited by a moderator:
Close this topic now close itttttttt now -______- wait no okay you people don't get it then I am going to have to explain again. Half of the stuff you saying I don't where the hell you getting the idea that appstore and legal I did not say that I said nothing of does is there anyone who agrees with me .half of the the things nin3ds say is wrong wrong wrong .wy would you have the idea of competitive compines it does not even have to look like a smart phone it can act like one.therrrre
Don't lock this.

i don't like swearing in here but WTF are you talking ABOUT!!! SMARTPHONE IS A CELL PHONE IT MAKES CALLS. you want portable swap note go buy some kind of portable internet and do it your self. you make less sense then i do drunk! AND THAT'S NOT A LOT OF SENSE!! how many topics are you truly gonna ask for "removed locked or etc" you are making it to the top of my list of ppl to just IGNORE when they post. OH MY GOD!!! DON'T ASK FOR AN OPINION!!!

Close this topic now close itttttttt now -______- wait no okay you people don't get it then I am going to have to explain again. Half of the stuff you saying I don't where the hell you getting the idea that appstore and legal I did not say that I said nothing of does is there anyone who agrees with me .half of the the things nin3ds say is wrong wrong wrong .wy would you have the idea of competitive compines it does not even have to look like a smart phone it can act like one.therrrre
Don't lock this.

How exactly would you make a phone that doesn't look like a phone? People use mobile phones due to their small size so they are easy to carry around, there isn't many ways you can change this. Also, Nintendo makes video games and consoles, they are making enough money to keep the company alive so taking financial risks with adding this new 'phone but not a phone' will probably have negative effects on Nintendo.

Nintendo already have Pictochat and Swapnote so they do not need to make phones I would like to see a Nintendo phone but they make enough money in the video game business.

Close
this topic now close itttttttt now -______- wait no okay you people
don't get it then I am going to have to explain again. Half of the stuff
you saying I don't where the hell you getting the idea that appstore
and legal I did not say that I said nothing of does is there anyone who
agrees with me .half of the the things nin3ds say is wrong wrong wrong
.wy would you have the idea of competitive compines it does not even
have to look like a smart phone it can act like one.therrrre
Don't lock this.

Dragon, please read this before you comment. It is what makes a SmartPhone a SmartPhone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

I am not fully understanding what your point is. You made the first post which says "is it possible for Nintendo new handheld to be a smartphone" which is a VERY direct and to-the-point statement. everything Nin3DS said , as Stonewoot stated, is VERY true. Well, except the part about Nintendo not having experience stopping them. Nintendo had no experience with making video games but it didn't stop Miyamoto in the 80's so I do not see why that would be an issue now. I'd think it would be LESS of an issue since he has an R&D department to tackle those obstacles and MUCH more finances to back it.

Now, assuming you meant will Nintendo ever utilize features similar to a SmartPhone, I still do not understand what ones you would be thinking. Microsoft is refusing to make a handheld system but instead they are making a Windows phone which will run games.

Now, I am saying this calmly and in a way to be helpful, so please do not take offense. You, as I have pointed out before, have a habit to be VERY immature when it comes to people disagreeing with you. You laugh or insult people or the like. This is what set Stonewoot off.

Also, I am not making fun of you at all, but your grammar is atrocious and makes it INCREDIBLY HARD to understand what you are talking about more often than not. I know MANY people on here who have mentioned this to me and so if you want help, I have no problem with working with you to coach you on punctuation and spelling via private message. I also know a certain pretty lady on here who wants to be an English teacher over in Japan who would probably do the same and could treat helping you as a way to practice teaching.

Thanks for making me feel better about my self why do I even try

:( :( :(

Just slow down look at the sentence before you post and think if it can be understood by others. i understand a lot of forms of chat speak but.. dude just slow down when you type that's all.. getting defensive just makes it harder to talk to you, placing a valid retort is a better way to invest in your points. like.. here i will say what you might have said to retort NIN3DS " oh yes i can see what you are saying i just want the 3DS to be able to make calls with something like "Skype"." OR "i want more app's"

as for where you said about that illegal thing.. i was only saying in response to your statement "See Nintendo apps for smartphone .http://www.google.co...RccwoKZ_e9Q.its called emulator it can be use for Ds and gameboy and other stuff" That half of the statment was ment to say EMULATORS are not made by Nintendo or really anyone legally. So the ROMS are mostly ILLEGAL EXCEPT for homebrews, these are home made games that were made FOR FANS BY FANS, or... a completely new game that is just made for fun.

Thanks for making me feel better about my self why do I even try

:( :( :(

Why do you be a hypocrite? You insult people then when they insult you, you cry.

Yeah, a Smartphone was pretty dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back