Nintendo Nintendo Is Updating The Original Switch With A New CPU?

cm2

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Just read from The Verge:

The original Nintendo Switch is also getting a new processor and new flash storage chips, according to filings with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The new chips could mean fewer slowdowns, faster load times, longer battery life, less heat... or perhaps none of these things.

Nintendo submitted what’s called a “Class II Permission Change” to the FCC, effectively a request to tweak an existing gadget without having to get the whole thing recertified for sale in the United States. And there, it vaguely lays out the changes:
nintendo_BKEHAC001_Letter_02_FCC_Class_II_Permissive_Change_Letter_4349995_2019_07_10_11_56_45.jpg

“SoC” refers to the Switch’s system-on-chip, aka the Nvidia Tegra processor that contains its CPU and graphics, while “NAND memory” is more commonly known as the flash storage you find inside a solid-state drive.

You should know that we’re not talking about the rumored Switch Pro successor to the Nintendo Switch, the one that would supposedly accompany the Switch Lite announced today. This is very clearly an update to the original model (right down to the same model number) and Nintendo probably won’t say a thing, because it doesn’t want people to worry whether they’re buying the Switch with the slightly newer processor when they’re picking one up at retail.

With the Switch, it wouldn’t take much of an improvement to make a difference, given how the Switch’s four-year-old Tegra X1 processor is barely enough to churn through some of the system’s existing titles. But there’s no telling until someone gets their hands on the new model and does a comparison.

I wonder if there would be a price drop on older Switches with the old CPU now that new Switches with a better CPU is out.

I felt like a bit of an idiot because when I read that title, I was thinking how are they going to manage to replace the CPU on older devices then it hit me that they are going to release a newer version :laughing:

I wonder if some people get the newer CPU if their old Switch breaks because of a defect before their Switch warranty ends, and they needs to send the Swtch back to Nintendo for repair, or an exchange of a working Switch.

Back