Nintendo Power apparently gives the game 9.5

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
In their review. Which is also apparently the exact same score they gave the Nintendo 64 original.

Now for some fun... will they be plauded for giving it a good review, criticised because they didn't boost the score despite the additions, or criticised for treating it too well and not like a normal remake? Place your bets!

As I have mentioned earlier, people will freak out at it not having a perfect score.

Criticized for the score being too low. I'll place 999 rupees on it.

How come rupees?

I personally feel a remake shouldn't get a perfect score, since even if it is a reaally good one it is still a Remake. And (I know a lot of people will hate me for saying it, but oh well) even though they build it from the ground up, they still could have done a bit more graphically, since the story, design and all that were already given.

They chose the graphics to be like this so people would be nostalgic for the game, and so it stays true to its original style. Having the game look like Twilight Princess would just look weird.

They chose the graphics to be like this so people would be nostalgic for the game, and so it stays true to its original style. Having the game look like Twilight Princess would just look weird.

I don't think Nintendo's focus was nostalgia. They wanted old and new customers to buy it, more money that way. If they just wanted their old fans to buy their games they wouldn't have even improved the graphics for the 3DS. The people at Nintendo aren't idiots, if they improved the graphics old gamers would still buy it simply because it's LOZ and so would newer gamers who just started playing on Nintendo consoles. Currently someone who is just a regular gamer, not a fan of any particular series is jut going to pass right by the game because of the graphics.
I hate to say it but the people who started out playing on the N64 aren't their only audience, they really should have improved the graphics if they wanted to appeal to the community as a whole. Sure maybe you, or I are just fine with the older graphics and maybe even prefer them, but that dosen't mean everyone else does. And who said it had to look like Twilight Princess, there are plenty of ways they could have kept the not incredibly realistic, medium bright color scheme while still improving on the graphics.

Graphics don't make a game but they sure do help.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not be the main focus, but it's one of them. No need to write an essay about it. I also stand by my point that it's to stay true to the original style.

Fanboys will criticize it as too low ("Y U NO GIVE IT PERFECT 10?!") while others will argue that the game deserved a slightly lower score and that NP is playing favorites.

And then there are people like me who believe that these magazine reviews are generally unbiased and that scores do reflect the overall quality of the game, plus or minus one review point.

It may not be the main focus, but it's one of them. No need to write an essay about it. I also stand by my point that it's to stay true to the original style.
It wasn't even half a essay, let alone a third >_>. Not to mention this is a thread about what you think on the matter so expect long, lengthy comments.

And im not saying that nostalgia wasn't a focus, because obviously it is seeing as how it's a remake.
And I also stand by my point. :/. No company, including Nintendo itself, remade a game and kept the graphics for "Nostalgia". Why didn't they keep the old graphics for the Super Mario 64 Remake, it's the exact same situation. Why didn't GameFreak keep the old graphics for the Gold and Silver remakes? It's because none of these remakes were rushed, they weren't trying to get them in near the consoles release. If Nintendo had maybe worked on it before the 3DS was officially released for a bit they probably would have put in better graphics.

By no means is this remake probably going to be a bad one, but Nintendo is certainly racing against time to get it done. Which if a game company is in a rush to finish something, the best way to make it release faster is to not redo all the models and textures.

Because one of the factors in a remake is to add better graphics for a more modern feel.

I don't think Nintendo's focus was nostalgia. They wanted old and new customers to buy it, more money that way. If they just wanted their old fans to buy their games they wouldn't have even improved the graphics for the 3DS. The people at Nintendo aren't idiots, if they improved the graphics old gamers would still buy it simply because it's LOZ and so would newer gamers who just started playing on Nintendo consoles. Currently someone who is just a regular gamer, not a fan of any particular series is jut going to pass right by the game because of the graphics.
I hate to say it but the people who started out playing on the N64 aren't their only audience, they really should have improved the graphics if they wanted to appeal to the community as a whole. Sure maybe you, or I are just fine with the older graphics and maybe even prefer them, but that dosen't mean everyone else does. And who said it had to look like Twilight Princess, there are plenty of ways they could have kept the not incredibly realistic, medium bright color scheme while still improving on the graphics.

I totally agree 100 % with that

Because one of the factors in a remake is to add better graphics for a more modern feel.

Actually yes, thats why it's called a remake and not just a port.
If there is the option to improve the graphics of something then do it. It dosen't make sense if you have the time to put newer graphics on a remake or new game that you would put older graphics on it. Even if you are right and it was nostalgia, you don't need to keep the graphics the same for it to be nostalgic. Now Nintendo, as I said before, probably didn't have the time to do it.

I totally agree 100 % with that
me too,that was beautiful
tongue.gif

Back