Nintendo Nintendo Reportedly Plans to Release Next-Gen Console During Second Half of 2024

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Username Style

Nintendo will release its next-gen console during the second half of 2024, according to a new report.

Sources told VGC development kits for the unannounced new console are now with partner studios, with a second half of 2024 release window set to give Nintendo enough time to ensure plenty of stock for launch.

Apparently this new next-gen console can be used in portable mode, like the Nintendo Switch, and has an LCD screen as opposed to an OLED screen in order to keep costs down. It also comes with a cartridge slot for physical games, VGC said.

However, the crucial question of backwards compatibility with Nintendo Switch games remains unclear. IGN has asked Nintendo for comment.

In May, Nintendo said it's the long-rumoured Switch successor wouldn't release until April 2024 at the earliest. Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa explained during an investors presentation that the company isn't considering new hardware in the 2023/24 financial year, which ends March 31, 2024.

This comes despite a decline in Switch sales. The console sold close to 18 million units in the last financial year, down from 23 million sold the year before and 28 million the year before that. Nintendo isn't looking to rush a new console out to tackle this decline though, as it has forecast another drop for the coming year.

"Sustaining the Switch's sales momentum will be difficult in its seventh year," said Furukawa during the presentation. "Our goal of selling 15 million units this fiscal year is a bit of a stretch, but we will do our best to bolster demand going into the holiday season so that we can achieve the goal."

Rumours surrounding a new console have been circulating for years. The new console was said to offer boosted graphics akin to the PlayStation 4 and its Pro model, but there is no official information regarding the next piece of Nintendo hardware yet.

I wish the 3DS had a new console with backward compatibility to it. But so far no dice.

I like that Nintendo will use a LCD screen to keep the price of the console more affordable.

I look forward to the next console that Nintendo makes. I always enjoy seeing what they do with it to compete with Sony and Microsoft.

Back