Nintendo threatened to sue the Pokemon Uranium team?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Remember a while back, how a fan made Pokemon sequel was seemingly shut down after it became massively popular online?

How Pokemon Uranium actually hit the front pages of Kotaku and the likes and ended up getting tons of downloads?

Well according to a history of the game by one of its developers, Nintendo were more threatening towards the project than you'd ever have imagined. So much so in fact they threatened to sue the team if they continued working on it:

The final nail in the coffin was on September 1, when I received a letter at my front doorstep from the legal firm that represents Nintendo of America. It was printed on nice quality paper, and had been sent via express overnight shipping, so that’s how I knew it was serious. It told me that I needed to immediately stop our entire web operation – take down the server, stop providing updates and stop generating ad revenue – or they’d sue me, and the Uranium Team, for hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

https://oripoke.wordpress.com/2016/10/20/the-explosion-and-fallout-of-pokemon-uranium/

So yeah... seems a tad more serious than what happened to Project M or AM2R. Indeed, for whatever stupid reason, it seems like Nintendo assumed Pokemon Uranium was the reason Pokemon GO was losing popularity, with them blaming the game for the latter 'losing 15 million users':

http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/45310/20161004/pokemon-pokemon-uranium-pokemon-go-nintendo.htm

Which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

But what do you think? Was Nintendo's reaction here way too over the top?

Maybe, but then i put myself in their position, Too many pokemon games out at once could cause people to loose interest in the other one.

and im sure Nintendo doesn't want the pokemon name to be warn out and used by anyone, they'd loose authority over their own IP's.

Theres also a chance that no one would take them seriously when it comes this type of thing, If Nintendo would have let them slide, then everyone else would take advantenge of that make other Nintendo related stuff.

It's too late for that. Pokemon fan games and ROM hacks are super common, and Nintendo can't do sod all about the latter.

Back