Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
According to a Bloomberg report made shortly after his company’s latest financial report (via GamesRadar), Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa stated that there are currently no plans to announce any new or upgraded Nintendo hardware during the current fiscal year. This means that a new Switch successor won’t be revealed until March 31, 2024 at the earliest.
Source

I feel a lot of people are fine playing games on the Switch, so Nintendo will wait a while longer to release their next console.

I'm definitely ready for the upgrade. Will be curious to see if Switch 2 will be on par with the PS4 or the PS4 pro.

Not surprised. They're still pushing out games for the Switch. When they start slowing down on the games.....I figure that would be when they push out the new system.

TBH after seeing the 3DS lose its eShop, I think it will be harder for Nintendo to find a new market where people can buy affordable game consoles and games for new systems.

Still the Switch eshop?
How many people can afford a new console and get to keep their Switch? The Switch has a longer life than most but it still won't be forever and there are even more games people might want to buy with the Shop of thousands of titles.

Not surprised. They're still pushing out games for the Switch. When they start slowing down on the games.....I figure that would be when they push out the new system.
Doesn't that feel like where we're at right now? The only games on Nintendo's release schedule are Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4. Metroid Prime 4 is MIA and most likely moved to next gen.

So far this year, Nintendo has only put out 4 games, and 3 of those are remakes:
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Metroid Prime Remastered (Remake)
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Remake)
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Remake)
MP Remake was rumored to be ready for a couple years now and Nintendo was just waiting for a lull in the release schedule to put it out. AW Re-Boot was ready to go last year but got pushed back. If those two had come out when they were ready, Nintendo would have only had 2 games released at this point in the year. I'm not angry they waited, I remember the dreadful droughts of the Wii and Wii U. I also expect them to have WW HD and TP HD ports ready to go as a surprise. I'm just hoping they have something good hidden up their sleeve for the Switch 2 launch to get it off on the right foot. Maybe MP4 and a new 3D Mario.

Sharp is working on a new LCD sceen, wonder if it's for Switch 2? read from Nintendolife

tech company Sharp has confirmed that it is supplying LCD displays for a "new gaming console", though it obviously refrained from going into any specific details.

According to Bloomberg CEO Robert Wu confirmed that Sharp is working with an unnamed company on the development of a new gaming console since the R&D stage and that it plans to launch pilot LCD-panel production lines for the device this fiscal year.

Of course, the device in question may not be the successor to the Switch, and the unnamed company may not be Nintendo, but Sharp is known to have worked with Nintendo in the past. Most recently, Nintendo partnered with Sharp to increase production of the Nintendo Switch in order to satisfy growing demand.

Hope it’s not the Switch 2, that thing should have OLED. I guess they did release the original DS with a worse screen than what the GBA had at the time so this wouldn’t be completely outlandish.

I’m not sure I’m following the point you’re trying to make.
If people [bought a Wii, then] skipped the Wii U and bought a Switch it is either likely they didn't like the Wii U or they didn't have the money to afford one when there are still Wii games on the market. Wii U's low sales could mean also that both are true.

If people [bought a Wii, then] skipped the Wii U and bought a Switch it is either likely they didn't like the Wii U or they didn't have the money to afford one when there are still Wii games on the market. Wii U's low sales could mean also that both are true.
Ah ok. Not sure I'm on board with that analysis. Wii U continued the downward trend Nintendo had been experiencing before the flash in the pan that was Wii. Sony and Microsoft (to a lesser extent) had been eating away at Nintendo's market share for a while, and when the Wii U showed up with nothing to offer other than a game pad that didn't carry the same "Wow!" factor as the Wiimote, their bottom line took a beating. Switch having the hybrid factor as well as a killer app in Breath of the Wild at launch have made it a resounding success. I think Switch 2 will have to continue the Switch's legacy, but also show why it is a necessary upgrade. Not so much because people can't afford it, but because they could choose to spend their money elsewhere.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 194219.png

Wii U's sales was mostly due to the failed hardware.

I never expected them to have a new Switch Console this year. There's even a possibility it's not going to be next year from the way I see it.

Back