Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Rumors of racial tension led to a white T-shirt ban at one local high school.

Hempstead High School students were asked via an automated message to not wear plain white T-shirts to school Tuesday because it could be perceived to represent white supremacy.

Principal Lee Kolker said he learned earlier this week that some students planned to wear the T-shirts as a show of white supremacy.

"It's something that has an ebb and flow, and we heard that it was coming back," he said.

Kolker said there has been more than the usual number of fights at Hempstead this semester. While the fights usually begin with common teenage issues, an element of race is usually part of the fray.

"It's just that these particular small groups of students do have a racial component," Kolker wrote in a press release. "Black and white students have been in arguments about teenage issues and then have resulted in name-calling and racial slurs."

Ninety-one percent of Hempstead's 1,750 students are white, while 9 percent are African American, Hispanic or Asian.

When tensions were raised last week after more fights occurred, additional law enforcement officers were brought to the school and, eventually, all students were told to not wear white T-shirts.

"A lot of us thought it wasn't very fair," said Austin McCann, a freshman.

He went against his principal's request and wore a white T-shirt in support of free speech. McCann said it had nothing to do with race. Because he refused to change his shirt,

McCann was sent home.

"It's freedom of speech," he said. "There's white in the flag."

McCann's sister, senior Kayla McCann, also was sent home because she refused to change her shirt.

"It's absolutely wrong," said Bruce McCann, the siblings' father.

Kolker said about 30 students who wore white T-shirts were asked to change their shirts or go home. Most of the students stayed at school.

Phil Roeder, spokesperson with the Iowa Department of Education, said school districts may regulate what students wear if they believe it will cause a significant disruption.

"The long and short of it is there is not a hard and fast rule on when a district can and cannot put out such a directive to students," Roeder said.

Kathleen Herber, whose two sons attend Hempstead, thought the automated message was ill conceived.

"To say that I was shocked would be an understatement," she said. Her sons didn't attend school Tuesday.

Herber added she would have liked to have had a letter that explained the situation more than a short message.

"I would just hope to see something long-term," Herber said.

Kolker said Hempstead officials and police officers are working to develop an action plan that will engage students, faculty, parents and the community in supporting a school atmosphere that promotes safety and effective learning and doesn't tolerate harassment of any kind.

source

you are reading a article about one of the local high schools in my area. Where their attentions are good they have been dealing with a lot of crap recently specially since the vice principal of the school was recently found out having a sex scandal with a student at the school. But this don't excuse the need to ban a colorless t-shirt.

Are you sure it's not because there was an issue with wet t-shirt contests?

'Cause this sounds just stupid.

I think the school was the one who fucked up by telling the students not to wear the t-shirts when they already know that the first thing kids at that age will do is rebel against it.

They rebel against their parents and they rebel against the school so although they meant well, they should have had a better idea in mind than that.

I don't see anything wrong with wearing white shirts as long as there are no racist symbols on them. This is just weird. A lot of non-racist people wear white shirts.

oh. is it ok to have white undies then? what about normal white paper? i think people are bit paranoid nowadays.

I don't see anything wrong with wearing white shirts as long as there are no racist symbols on them. This is just weird. A lot of non-racist people wear white shirts.

Exactly, this is stupid. I mean it's just controlling too much and I think by banning the white t-shirts they are just going to be causing more trouble for themselves in the long run

This is more than weird. I mean, hey, school is here to teach us something, not to take our rights.

if you look too closely, you can find malicious things in everything, even in your toe nails. it does matter how you do interpret things. common sense isn't so common nowadays because people are paranoid but maybe that's the fault of mass media :o

Back