Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Anyone who's played a particularly frustrating video game can attest to the therapeutic effect of dropping the F-bomb. The phenomenon has now been scientifically proven, and the man behind the research awarded for his efforts, sort of.

Annals of Improbable Research magazine held the 20th annual Ig Nobel awards last night at Harvard University, and Richard Stephens of Keele University in the UK was one of the recipients. He might not have won the engineering Ig Nobel like Karina Acevedo-Whitehouse, Agnes Rocha-Gosselin and Diane Gendron did for developing a way to harvest whale snot with a remote-controlled helicopter, but his work is just as important.

He and his students proved that swearing is good for you.

The Ig Nobel awards are given to silly-sounding scientific discovers that often have surprising practical applications, just in case you hadn't picked up on that yet.

Stephens first witnessed the effect after hitting his hand with a hammer a few years ago, like some cartoon character. He marveled at how much better he felt after letting fly a string of obscenities. During the same time period and quite unlike a cartoon character, his wife was giving birth to their daughter. She too practiced shouting naughty words at the top of her lungs to help her through the pain.

Intrigued, psychology lecturer Stephens decided to conduct an experiment, hitting his students in the head with a claw hammer to see what happened.

Okay, he didn't hit them in the head. He merely had them hold their hands in a container filled with ice water, to see how long they could stand it. Those with filthy mouths were able to withstand the discomfort longer than those who held it in.

"What we think is when you swear you produce an emotional reaction in yourself, you arouse your nervous system and you set off the fight or flight response," Stephens said. "It gets the heart rate up, gets the adrenaline flowing."

source

I won't deny that I swear while playing video games.

Ah, sweet. We get prizes for dropping the f-bomb? Nice, because I bet I would win. I swear A LOT when playing games, especially hard ones. It relieves my stress, especially with Mario games, like NSMBW.

I would just laugh at them and see how long it takes before they pop a blood cell and die.
Some guy sent me a message stating, "Stop being a pussy and shoot like a freaking man. Only pussies knife." (We were playing Modern Warfare 2) In which I replied, "What? Your mad because a noob kicked you ass? Now we see who the real one is. ;)" Then he stopped messaging. Some people are truly idiotic.

Some guy sent me a message stating, "Stop being a pussy and shoot like a freaking man. Only pussies knife." (We were playing Modern Warfare 2) In which I replied, "What? Your mad because a noob kicked you ass? Now we see who the real pussy is. ;)" Then he stopped messaging. Some people are truly idiotic.

fixed, but I've read some lmao worth convos between gamers on other forums.

Back