froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
An 18-year old girl in India named Uma Oram was talking to a relative on her old Nokia 5233 phone. In the middle of the conversation, Oram plugged the device into an outlet to charge the battery, and that is when tragedy struck. The phone exploded, killing the teen. According to a news report, "Uma, who was knocked unconscious and suffered injuries to her hand, leg and chest, was taken to a local hospital, where she died."

The Nokia 5233, launched in January 2010, is a touchscreen smartphone that uses pressure-sensitive resistive technology. The phone is still being sold on Amazon India for 2,999 Rupees (equivalent to $46 USD at current exchange rates).

Nokia 5233 explodes killing a teenage girl in the middle of a call

RIP Uma Oram. Hopefully, she did not suffer for too long after being injured and killed by the phone, and she got to do some enjoyable tasks like traveling to other countries before she died.

Being killed by an exploding phone is a very unfortunate way to die being killed by a sudden phone explosion.

These unfortunate random events like a exploding phone killing someone is an important example that it is best to be careful when using electrical and gas powered devices, or any device like a gun or axe which can kill or seriously hurt someone.

It is also important to try to live a happy and meaningful life, treat people you care about better, and try to do things you want to do instead of mainly doing tasks like math homework and work which you may dislike because there is always a possibility that you or someone you care about will randomly die of an accident like an exploding phone, or killed randomly by other unfortunate events like an earthquake, tsunami, tornado, car accident, building collapse, or sickness like heart attack, stroke, drug overdose, or food poisoning which can kill some people.

Idiots, but what can you do?

Idiots, but what can you do?

I think the instruction manuals and the local news should warn users not to use their phone for voice calls when charging. This victim will still be alive if she knows that it is unsafe to use a phone when charging.

Using a wireless Bluetooth headset for voice calls while charging is safer than putting a charging phone beside their head to talk.

I think the instruction manuals and the local news should warn users not to use their phone for voice calls when charging. This victim will still be alive if she knows that it is unsafe to use a phone when charging.

Using a wireless Bluetooth headset for voice calls while charging is safer than putting a charging phone beside their head to talk.

They can warn them, but idiots will be idiots.

I think using a charging dock like cordless landline phones or using a shorter charging cable would make people less likely to use the phone for voice calls while charging.

Huh? I use my phone while I am in bed and on charge but I don't make calls though. I suppose I am an idiot for doing that?

With that said, it a sad story to hear though. RIP.

Last edited:
Huh? I use my phone while I am in bed and on charge but I don't make calls though. I suppose I am an idiot for doing that?

With that said, it a sad story to year though. RIP.

that should be fine so long as you're not holding it close to you. I'll play music while mine is charging but it is some distance away.

that should be fine so long as you're not holding it close to you. I'll play music while mine is charging but it is some distance away.

Using a power bar with a surge protector can help reduce sudden explosions and electrocution cause by power surges from the electric company can be strong enough to fry electronics if the power surge is strong enough. But, they may not stop surges from lightning, and other strong power surges and electrical problems.

I saw on the news that say people have been injured from a power surges which entered their wired land line telephone headset when the telephone lines got zapped by lightning, or the electricity which powers the telephone suddenly becomes too strong, and causes a power surge which causes the wired headset on a telephone to break.

I saw on the news that say people have been injured from a power surges which entered their wired land line telephone headset when the telephone lines got zapped by lightning, or the electricity which powers the telephone suddenly becomes too strong, and causes a power surge which causes the wired headset on a telephone to break.
Someone I know was talking on the phone when there was a storn and he got thrown off. He ok but yeah.....

Someone I know was talking on the phone when there was a storn and he got thrown off. He ok but yeah.....

It is good that he is ok from being thrown off after electricity entered his handset. A strong electrical shock from lightning is very dangerous.

It is not a good idea to use a outdoor payphone during a storm as well because the wired pay phones is made of metal and located outside.

I prefer cordless landline phones because It feels safer to use a cordless landline phone which does not have a wire to connect to the base of the phone. Using the speakerphone feature would be safer than holding a wired handset.

There is a rare chance of a large power surge which hits a phone line when there is not a storm. A telephone pole tipping over because of a random reason like car hitting the pole or powerful wind, and the telephone pole falls toward a high voltage power line which may cause lots of electricity to enter phone lines. The phone company may accidentally send too much power over the phone line because of a accident when fixing or installing a phone line.

A lot of newer home phone service which uses coax cable tv lines or fiber optic cables also get power for the phone wall ports from your home's power, so if your home power line got a power surge it might travel to the phone wall ports if there is no surge protector to protect your phone wall ports from power surges.

Back