Non-Intel Google Chromebooks Better to use because of Intel Meltdown Spectre Security Problems?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is a good idea to buy a non-Intel Google Chromebook like Samsung Chromebook Plus which uses a different non-Intel brand of CPU like the Samsung CPU.

Non-Intel Chromebooks which use a Nvidia K1, Samsung, and other mobile ARM CPUs, and Faster AMD Windows laptops are one of the few non-Intel laptops which can run Google Chrome web browser and Android apps at a usable.

I think Spectre is not affected in the latest version of Chrome OS, and non-Intel ARM/Mobile CPUs are not affected by Intel Meltdown security problem, so non-Intel CPU on Chromebooks are safer to use for browsing the web with Chrome.

There also won't be Meltdown related slowdown problems in Non-Intel CPUs, so you are getting all the performance which you are paying for instead of being slowed down by Meltdown patches which can slowdown Intel CPUs by 30% which can make some Intel Celeron, Atom, and i3 CPUs in Chromebooks a lot slower when doing more intensive tasks like streaming HD video, and online gaming.

Last edited:
You say its better to use, but how do we know the non-intel cpus don't have an issue of their own? If they are based off a intel design, they could have issues as well.

You say its better to use, but how do we know the non-intel cpus don't have an issue of their own? If they are based off a intel design, they could have issues as well.

There are currently no non-Intel based Chromebook CPUs which are similar to Intel designs. There are no AMD and VIA CPU which can run the same software made for Intel based PC.

Meltdown/Spectre vulnerability status for Chrome OS devices - The Chromium Projects says Mobile/ARM Chrome OS devices with CPUs like the Nvidia Tegra K1 or Samsung Exynos CPU in some Chromebooks are not affected by Meltdown.

But, Chrome web browsers are affected by Spectre if you are not using Google Chrome version 65 browser which has a Spectre software patch to protect your data from a Spectre hack. Chrome OS is also based on Linux and has its own security software which make it less likely to be affected by Spectre.

Last edited:
They say that but you never know. This issue has been going on for ten years after all.

I agree there maybe some non-Intel Chromebook CPUs which are affected by Intel Meltdown bug, and the CPU maker will only admit it after a hacker leaks their security vulnerability to the public.

Back