Objective Reviews and Video Game Journalism?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Is it possible? And if so, would it be a good thing?

Personally, I think it might well be possible, at least to a degree. Look at Critical Gaming for example:

http://critical-gaming.squarespace.com/blog/

All game design focused. Absolutely nothing on politics or content or 'art'.

Other sites with the same stuff include Daniel Primed's website/blog and a few others. Maybe also Sirlin.net

But would you want game coverage to become like this? Completely neutral, completely objective, game design/tech focused coverage which rates games based on purely on whether they meet game design theory guidelines?

What do you think?

First off I don't think this person has ever heard of or has read a review in their life. Reviews should be about whether or not people would like the game and the basics (never into detail, people can figure that stuff on their own). Reviews should have some opinions on feel and how great the art style looks and what upgrades are for (and little hints and secrets here and there). Games can be simple like platformers or complicated like RPGs or fighters. You call this a review? This is the work of a robot. The game was made for speedrunning, not puzzles. They should've also kept in mind the amount of people working on this and appreciate it a little more. At least the blog lives up to its name and gives a few game references.

Hmm... I dunno. Personally, I'm one of those people who doesn't have a big problem with the mainstream game reviews. As a gamer, I know what sorts of games I like. I'm just looking for baselines one general gameplay, whether something works or not, audio and visual quality, whether there are any game breaking bugs, and overall thoughts on the story (If applicable). Game design theories don't interest me, because I'm only interested in games for their entertainment value. That may lead into an appreciation of solid game design theories, but I don't want to read a review that focuses on nothing but. While I would appreciate the fact that Shovel Knights shovel swings appear to have weight behind them and that it's reflected in the animation of his attacks, I don't care to read about it, and it certainly wouldn't be something that makes or breaks a purchase. (And I do like such details, I was just commenting to my husband last night that I liked the way my Crusader in Diablo 3 walks because he LOOKS like he's carrying heavy armor and weapons. It's a nice detail that sets him apart from my husbands monk.)

I can see the value in reviews/discussions like the one you linked. Game design theory is important, just like compositional skills to an artist. But as a game review, it just doesn't do it for me. First off, he seems to spend a great deal of time nitpicking every little thing about the game, and his general thoughts on everything in it seem to be lukewarm at best. Then he goes on to recommend it? He didn't sound like he particularly enjoyed it at all, why would I then want to play it? (Of course, that could just be that I have no interest in Shovel Knight at all too).

This type of review reminds me of high school and college art and literature classes. You know the ones, you read THESE stories, because they are CLASSICS. Not because you like them, not because you enjoy them, or are interested, and certainly not to foster a love of reading or an appreciation of art. You must appreciate these because they have good 'values' or are 'well written', or just because of that vague term 'classic'. This type of heavy handed discussion turns me off- I want to look at, read, discuss or play things that I enjoy personally, not be told that I should appreciate something because of it's perceived value on a scale I either don't agree with, or don't care about. These types of 'rules' to me are dangerous- people should do what they enjoy, and not feel obligated to like something just because it is 'important'.

I just want to enjoy what I play, plain and simple. I don't care whether it's through indie games with 'high quality game design despite it's lack of budget' or a main stream, big name game that features 'throw ALL the moneys' style design with movie quality sound and visuals. I'm just in it to have fun.?

Back