Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
So Sony just announced a $89.99 , 2TB Official PS4 External Seagate Hard drive, from Playstation Blog and dualshockers, too bad it's not an external ssd:

31936163217_e95f6759c1_k.jpg

31936163157_46c7d359bb_k.jpg

According to Sony, this new “Game Drive” features 2TB of storage and is optimized for any version of PlayStation 4, meaning it’s usable on both the launch, Slim, and Pro versions of the console, so long as it’s running version 4.55 of the system software. On top of that, unlike some external hard drives that work with the console, this one works right out of the box, with no need for formatting. And it even looks similar to your PS4, so it’ll match ascetically.

It seems somewhat expensive.

This hard drive is useful for less tech savvy gamers who don't want to go on gaming forums to ask members which hard drives are fast enough, and compatible with the PS4.

I agree it's too expensive, unless it's an external ssd lol

I would buy it. An extra $20 extra to just plug and work is fine with me.

I'm pretty sure all HDDs are plug and play.

All USB hard drives I used are plug-in and play.

But, some cheaper external hard drives may still use USB 2.0 which is slower than USB 3.0/3.1, so some hard drives which use USB 2.0 maybe too slow for running games off of.

I really don't know of any USB 2 that would have that issue.

I feel most modern USB 2 drives should be fast enough. I guest slower 5200 RPM hard drives may make running games slower. But, hard drives are faster than Disc drives like DVD and CD drives, so even the slowest USB 2 hard drive maybe fast enough to run games on the hard drive.

Back