Old Mario Party vs New Mario Party?

Which style of Mario Party game is better?

• Old style, travel on your own, collect coins and play mini games after each turn

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • New style, travel together in a vehicle, occasional mini games, mini stars collected

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Mario Party Advance, maybe Fortune Street or the e-Reader version)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Which do you prefer?

Old refers to the style used up to the eighth game, where you travel around the map on your own, get coins for landing on spaces, buy stars and play mini games after every turn.

New means the Mario Party 9 style where everyone travels in the same vehicle, you collect mini stars, fight a boss at the end of every board and the gameplay is generally linear.

Which is better? Which do you like more?

And 'Other' basically means like Mario Party Advance, which no one liked.

I liked the GameCube era the best. Would have to say old then. I mean, minigames are always fun.

Mario Party 4 is still my favorite party to play, so I'm going old-style. This new version feels too much like a gimmick-filled way to sell more copies than a true Mario Party experience.

I voted old, but I've never played Mario Party 9. It looks ok, but I don't think I'd like sharing the space like that.

However I only like a few Mario Party games.

Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 7

Mario Party 5 had a boring story line and I didn't like the car racing. Mario Party 6 lacked the charm of other Mario Party games and the mic was kind of crappy, but I used the mic so that I was playing the right way. Mario Party 8 just sucked. The single player was fun, but the boards all sucked and they were all really gimmicky besides like 2 of them. Then the worst board of all... the realestate one. I think it was Koopa City.

Mario Party 1, 2, and 3 were all awesome because... well they had good single player modes and good stories. I liked the story in 4 and having to play as every character to get the best thing in the game. I loved the cruise ship idea in Mario Party 7 and it had fun boards and it was just all around better. Disreguarding the mic of course.

I'm sick of the old style. I mean, 9 games have the exact same gameplay, with minor tweaks. MP9 is a great refreshment.

i prefer the old style, MP9 was a different idea and it was fun, but id rather play games like 8 and below

Who'd even think of playing Mario Party 8? That's the most boring game of our decade. I mean, seriously.

Who'd even think of playing Mario Party 8? That's the most boring game of our decade. I mean, seriously.

i dont see the problem with the game

I like 6, 7, and 8 style

Old. And I mean N64 era old. The whole 'Boards have gimmicks but only under very strict and rare circumstances does the cost of Stars become less then 20 and there's no alternative ways of getting Stars except this method and stealing' way. They're all good games, but the originals where the best.

i dont see the problem with the game
]
The only real problem is that there's no "straight forward" maps. It uses gimmicks and the game seems like a test for that. The only map like that is Shy Guy's train, but other than that everything else is too gimmicky to play. Like Boo's Mansion is a maze and (the worst board I can think of all together) Koopa City has the real estate gimmick. What kid is going to want to play a board revolving around real estate? How is that even remotely fun?

Mario Party 9 was too much of a disappointment for me. The whole style changed due to Hudsons's absense. I don't like the direction Mario Party 9 went towards. It was too different.

Back