froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Onlive has released its game-streaming microconsole to consumers, and we've taken a long look at both the hardware and the service itself. We found some good things and some bad things, but with the client being free and most of the games offering limited demos, the best thing to do is to try it for yourself. OnLive has made the service a little more attractive as well: starting January 15 you can subscribe to the the all-you-can-eat $10 a month subscription program.

What does your $9.99 get you? Unlimited play time of over 40 games on the service. So instead of renting games or purchasing games you want to play, you can play as much as you want for one price. The lack of a commitment is also a plus; I could see people paying for a single month or two just to beat a few games and then getting out.

Our main concern continues to be the smallish selection of games on the service. If there were a few hundred games to choose from, instead of a few dozen, this would be much more attractive. Still, there are more than enough games to get you through a few months. OnLive is a neat idea with solid execution, but there simply needs to be more games.

arstechnica

Pretty nice deal for ten dollars a month.

yes it is.

I'm still not getting what kind of games I can play. Can I play any platform's games?

Possibly, but I got a feeling most games will be mostly PC games since Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo will probably not want to license their best games for this consoles.

But, for 10 dollars a month for being able to play over 40 games is a good deal. If they also bundle Netflix, or some other movie streaming service this would be a great deal.

Back