Oracle of Seasons: The Best Zelda Title Ever

Igloo

Awards
Credits
# We all have our personal favorite Zelda. Many people love Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, A Link to the Past, and sometimes even Windwaker (which for me is almost a tie with Oracle of Seasons, but I digress). One that is rarely mentioned is Oracle of Seasons/Ages, particularly Seasons. Now obviously, not as many people played OOC as the other, more popular titles, so most people will always think that games like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are the "best" Zelda games.
But, I have a different stance on the matter. In my opinion, Oracle of Seasons is quite possibly the most well-crafted Zelda ever. Here's why:

Number 1: The Controls

Although simplistic, the controls are excellent. The controls are responsive, easy to use, and the ability to map items to the two provided action buttons work effectively.

Number 2: The graphics

Obviously it isn't the best looking game in the series from a technical standpoint, for being a Gameboy Color game, Seasons is incredibly good looking. So good looking, in fact, that it puts many Gameboy Advance games to shame. Also, the art style is honestly quite good, very mellow and enchanting. Seeing the seasons change and their effects on the environment are awesome, and make the game feel 4x as big.

Number 3: Music

Again, limited by technology, but for what it has to work with, this game has some seriously good music. Classic 8-bit Zelda tuneage, but really some of the best. Also, sound effects are very well done.
Number 4: Combat
It's pretty similar to other 2D Zelda games, but the combat in this game is amazing. Aside from the feel of the combat itself, the actual abilities and weapons you have to fight with are what make the game awesome. Your slingshot lets you fire multiple types of projectiles, you can equip a shield to deflect attacks, you can change the combat area by changing the season, you can set things on fire, you can ride special creatures that help you in a fight, the list goes on.

Number 5: Exploration and collection

I feel like, in this Zelda in particular, more than any other Zelda, there are a lot of places to explore and things to do. In addition to your main quest, there are numerous side quests and mini games. Moreover, you can hunt for items you want, explore a bunch of places that aren't part of the main quest, search for the witch that drops free items, find special rings that give you new powers and have them appraised, plant trees and grow special nuts that give you items, have dueling matches, go mining for ores and items, interact with other characters, and a lot more. There is so much to do in this game that you could easily sink hundreds of hours into it trying to find uncover every secret and get every item.
Number 6: Boss battles and enemies
There are some seriously cool boss battles and enemies in this game. Especially considering the limited hardware, there are a diverse number of enemies, all which act different and somewhat intelligently, and the bosses are quite good. As Zelda games go, the enemies are pretty good here.

Number 7: Replayability

To be honest, most Zelda games don't leave much to do after the game is done. Sure, they all have side quests and extra items to find, but generally speaking, most of them are pretty linear. In the case of Seasons, you have a lot of additional things you can do long after the main quest comes to an end. You can link up with an Oracle of Ages user and get secret bonuses, you can collect dozens of magic rings and have them appraised, you can complete other quests, find hidden items, max your heart meter, etc. The amount you can see and do is really astonishing.
There are plenty of other reasons I could list, but I'm going on a bit here. What do you think of Seasons and what would you say is the best Zelda game?

If you don't mind I like to move this to reviews.

And a very nice write up :)

I had a lot of fun with this game. It was a pretty decent challenge. One qualm I have with it is the lack of original bosses. 6 from LoZ and 1 from LttP. I wish that there could have been more new bosses, but overall I had a great time with this one.

I just played this game a few months ago and it was a lot of fun. The seasons system added a lot to the exploration and I even found the dungeons much more fun than I expected.

I don't agree with it being the besy Zelda game though.

This is a great write-up. I started playing Seasons a few months back, but I never completed it. The Gameboy/GBC Zelda games are on a completely different level than their console counterparts. 

Back