Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
One month on, Ouya's Kickstarter funding wraps up

It's hard to believe we've only been talking about the Ouya console for a few weeks. Still, hard as it may be to believe, the Ouya Kickstarter only went live on July 10. The console made headlines when news of the creator's ambitious plans to upend console gaming spread. Within a few hours, the project reached its goal of $950,000 in funding. Withing a few days, the project had attracted millions of dollars in crowd-sourced funding.

Today, the Ouya Kickstarter project comes to a close. The total amount raised? A whopping $8,596,475. This astronomical sum comes from 63,416 individuals, each of whom put their own cash into the project. "We did it gang!" the company tweeted last night, before inviting people to continue following the Ouya adventure on http://Ouya.tv .

Read More

Amazing that Ouya was able to raise over almost 9 times its goal of $950,000 on just KS, and was able to find so many services like Onlive, Vevo, etc, developers like Minecraft, SquareEnix, etc, gamers which are interested in Ouya.

Whats up with that? I wonder if this system could knock one of the big three out of the race.

It most likely would not knock any of the consoles out of the big 3, but it could have a large fan base of people who like playing classic, Google Android, and indie games, and just need a $99 console to play their indie, classic, and exclusive Ouya games.

I see Ouya being popular for people who find electronics too expensive since it is only $99 which is more affordable compared to $300-500 which is the cost of more powerful consoles with a bigger hard drive.

It also could popular with people who play casual, mobile, and flash games which are cheap, or free since Ouya will let people play games for free, or play a trial of a games with the option to buy the game for a few dollars. It also has Onlive Cloud gaming built-in to it which let people play a 30 minute demo before they decide if they want or don't want the game.

I read it will also be the size of a toy building block or Rubiks Cube, so it also is a good travel sized game console which you can carry in your pocket, or lunch box.

I agree, and the big 3 haven't really updated their hardware in a long time, so some people might just want a new console to play with while they wait for the PS4, and Xbox 720 if they already own a PS3, 360, Wii, etc, or are too cheap or poor to buy consoles from the big 3.

I read Final Fantasy 3 which was originally made for the Nintendo DS handheld is coming to the Ouya, so some FF fans might get it, so they can replay FFIII on a Full size TV in HD rather then the DS smaller screen which is not HD. Plus, Bandai and Namco is re-releasing like Pac-man, Ridge Racer, Tekken, and other classic games to the Ouya, so it could make more Namco fans buy it if the games are not available on newer consoles like the 360, PS3, and Wii.

Back