PC gaming isn’t dead, and will soon overtake consoles

I am a big computer freak, I love computer games and I still play them to this day instead of consoles. To tell you the truth the only reason I started back playing video consoles is because of my boys. I have a 6 year old boy who loves video games and his brother isn't that far behind. I am always on my computer 24/7 so why not do what I love doing as well on the computer... Playing Games... I work from home, go to school, and play computer games all on one device. What more could I really want????

I have always thought that PC gaming will die because of piracy but it looks like the multiplayer mode of the new games, including MW3, Battlefield 3 and Minecraft make people spend their money on PC gaming. That`s good news because producers will fight to make the best games for a big profit and we are going to enjoy this :grin:.

I'm pretty sure both consoles and computer games will still be around for a long time. There are still huge markets for both and some of us gamers enjoy both platforms.

I either play on my PC or console depending on what sort of game and experience I want. If I feel like a relaxed game of strategy then I'll hop onto my laptop if I want to fully engage in a game and immerse myself in a different world I'll choose a console. :happy: I also find playing on a console can be more social whereas if I want to play something on my own I'll play on a PC.

I love playing small mini games like on my PC
But leave the full edged high graphic games for my PS3 and my 40" LED :grin:

The most graphic intense games are in fact on PCs. Although you'd need high end PCs with good graphics card and CPU in order to run them on high settings.
Console games' graphics are nothing compare to PCs on the highest settings.

My PC's monitor is in fact a 40" Samsung TV.

I don't use my PC to play games because I don't have a computer to play them. I'll admit that the resolution on the games look sharper on the PC, but the average person doesn't want to pay $2,000 for a gaming computer. I would rather just play my PS3 because the controller is more comfortable and it's cheaper. Everyone wants the PC to take over consoles, but the truth is that won't happen. The PC is a dying market compared to the console world. You barely see any PC games at E3. This is because developers know there isn't a big fan base on that platform.

World of Warcraft, MMO like Diablo 3, RTS games like Starcraft 2, and First Person Shooters like Crysis 2 are still very popular on a PC. For many games like MineCraft, StarCraft, World of Warcraft, Half-Life 2, Oblivion, and more. You also do not need a $2000 computer to play all PC games since there are still many great older PC games which are 1-2 years old which play good on a computer which is under $1000 on low to medium-high quality settings.

For people who want a controller on a PC, they can buy a PC joystick, gaming keyboard, gaming mouse, controller gamepad, or steering wheel to play games on the PC.

The PC is not a dying platform since Steam is doing very well for itself since they sell games which are a lot cheaper then retail, and have more sales on downloadable games.

PC Gaming is also very popular in Asian Countries like South Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc.

PC gaming will always evolve past consoles in my opinion. A look a Square Enix's new engine along with Unreal 4 solidifies this in my mind. The next generation of Xbox and Playstation may be able to support those engines at launch, but will always suffer the lack of upgrade capacity that PC's posses. Another advantage that the PC has over consoles is the massive amount of user generated content and mods that consoles still have yet to embrace. A perfect example of this can be seen in the Steam Workshop, by bringing the modding community to the masses the games and the content generated are both enriched when a dedicated community can gain new ideas, and new publicity.

The whole "PC gaming is dying" claim is ridiculous, as it's been propagated since as long ago as 1995. Some people claim it is because PCs will always bee several steps ahead of consoles in terms of hardware and thus that "rumor", so to speak, is used by console-only players out of jealousy.

Of course, this story is rather far-fetched. I think it's just ignorant people who don't know better. After all, we always tend to tell us that we own the best piece of equipment possible, be it a console or an Apple iPhone (which are, under the hood, objectively terrible compared to many other phones in the market that cost a lot less).

I agree the whole "PC is dying claim" is not true. I think Consoles are starting to be more PC-like with all the Apps like Web Browser, Media player, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Skype, Voice chat on consoles.

Maybe in the future consoles will have even more PC functionality by making Word Processing, and Office Apps for it, and allow you to print your homework and game screenshots from it, and maybe even upgrade parts easily.

The main difference with PC and console are their operating systems, and Console uses controller while most PC's uses Keyboard and mouse to game unless they buy a computer USB Gamepad controller, joystick or Steering wheel to play PC games.

I agree mobile/tablet will probably take away a lot of the casual and core gamers who already own a high end Tablet or Smartphone like the iPad 3, Asus Transformer Prime, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S3, etc since mobiles these days are good enough for quick gaming fixes like arcades where you put in $ 0.25 for a few minutes of gameplay. Plus, the games are usually 1-10 dollars or free in many cases because of Freemium (In-Game purchases of mods, dlc, and items) or Advertising model for making money with the game.

The iPad 3 now has high quality games like Infinity Blade 2 which is console quality.

Plus, other nice games for the iPad 3

But, I still think Hardcore Gamers will game on the PC.

I am currently a console gamer but as soon as I can afford it I will be building my own computer and slowly become a PC gamer. So I will be adding to these statistics. :grin:

That is amazing but I wonder if the gamers are then reinvesting in all the accessories (wheels and mics and ..) that they have on they console ?
Then I imagine there will be remote accessories like the Wii controller ?
I am not sure the PC hardware is ready for all these accessories : do you ?

That is amazing but I wonder if the gamers are then reinvesting in all the accessories (wheels and mics and ..) that they have on they console ?
Then I imagine there will be remote accessories like the Wii controller ?
I am not sure the PC hardware is ready for all these accessories : do you ?

Logitech, Microsoft, Razer and other companies already make accessories like Wheels, Mics, Joystick, and Gamepads for the PC. But, most people who play PC games just use a keyboard and mouse except for people who play Flight simulators where a joystick or controller is more realistic, and people who play driving games can use a wheel.

C-C-C-Combo Breaker! On a more serious note I play on console and only rarely on PC. Do I think PC is dying? No, but I don't think it will ever kill the console. It's like saying the desktop will die because there are laptops/tablets or that internet will murder cable and satelite. It's a long way from the 80s and so worrying that video will kill the radio star is a little premature. There is plenty of room for both of them to exist.

PC will definitely over-take consoles within the next two years. Consoles seem to have a graphic capacity and are unable to handle the upcoming games. PC however doesn't, it's only capacity / limit would be the graphics card, processors ( etc ) you have, therefore it will and is able to run the upcoming and recently released games.

The cost of gaming in high quality and resolution modes is also lower now that AMD came out with their newer APU chips which let you use a cheap video card to run games in high quality modes with high framerates. I think more people will get into PC Gaming to save money since PC games are cheaper, and most people need a PC for work, school, e-mail, and other tasks, so using your regular PC for gaming as well won't cost any extra cash like going out to buying a few game consoles, games, HDMI cable, HDTV, controllers, and surround sound speakers which can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars over time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeARjODypU

I also think people prefer free online multiplayer on most games, and the ability to rent or make your own game server for playing online games like Counter Strike with friends on your own private server which is not possible with Game consoles, so your stuck with PSN, Xbox Live, etc.

^What froggy just said. Not only are PC games cheaper in the long run, you'd have the comfort of doing the things you usually do online with no hassle because you only use the same machine.

I don't like PC's because they drain too much power. All the cooling fans and graphics cards, it's cheaper to have a console. My PS3 does a good job of gaming and I can watch Blu-ray's when I'm tired of games. I think it's the ultimate set up for the price I paid for it. Those gaming computers are way too expensive, and they're not as portable as a console. Most companies don't release a PC version of the game because there aren't enough people to buy it. Maybe everyone who thinks PC gaming is great should take a good look at sales. The numbers aren't as high as a console game. Consoles are more accessible, and they're affordable. PC gamers is such a niche market because the majority of people are on their PS3 or XBox.

Back