froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
2015 was another year of bad news for the PC market, with sales falling significantly compared with 2014. That’s the conclusion from multiple analyses, and there’s only a modest prediction of near-term recovery.

According to Gartner, PC sales in the fourth quarter fell to 75.7 million units, down 8.3% from Q4 2014. Total shipments in 2015 were 288.7 million units, an 8% decline from 2014. IDC reports that total shipments in Q4 were 71.9 million, total 2015 sales were south of 300 million for the first time since 2008, and the decline year-on-year was larger, at 9.8%.

Read More

I think more people are holding onto their Windows 7 PC, and not really interested in buying a Windows 8.1 and 10 PC which is the reason for the PC Decline of 2015.

Plus, PCs can last for over 5 years if you keep them maintained, or rarely used them because you spend most of your time on a tablet, smartphone, or eReader which seems more common with older people, and young people.

Just seems like these people don't take in the fact everyone has a PC now. That will obviously affect sales.

Desktops are being sold in parts for people like me that builds them. Gaming desktop will live however every day basic won't.

Are there any news about how iMacs and MacBooks sales have been in 2015?

Apple computers sales are not rising or dropping a lot throughout the year according to this graph I found on the article which I posted above. It looks like their sales are almost the same throughout the year.

JtSMJwP.png

schools tend to buy a lot as they are mostly used for GFX purposes and heavy usage in that area burns out the inner components faster.

I agree schools and companies sometimes buy a lot of Apple computers for Graphics, and video editing.

Apple computers also seem to be popular Christmas gifts because on the graph I posted above on my Reply to Alakazam post, the sales of Apple computers increase at the end of the year while at the beginning and middle of the year, the sales slowdown after Christmas.

If heavy usage for GFX-related tasks burns out the components faster, wouldn't it be more affordable to buy PCs because they're cheaper to replace than iMacs?

Replacing iMacs with PCs are not always a good option if users need to use GFX related software which is only available for Mac OS X, or the software does not work as good on Windows or Linux.

Sometimes school upgrade their Apple computers every few years because Apple stops making newer versions of its OS X OS compatible with older iMacs like how iPhone iOS 9 OS is not compatible with the iPhone 3GS.

A lot of recently released software made by Adobe like Photoshop is probably is not compatible with older versions of OS X. Apple's Video, and Sound editing programs also probably don't work on older versions of OS X.

What's the point of learning to use software that you won't be able to use after you finish school because you can't afford to buy iMacs?

Graphic Designer who are good at Graphics editing usually make enough money from their Graphics Editor job to afford a computer like an iMac. Some companies also provide an iMac or Mac Pro and Graphics software for Graphics Editors to use to edit pictures on an iMac.

There is also the cheaper Mac Mini which has a starting price of $499. But, you need to buy your own PC monitor. The Mac Mini is not as fast as an iMac, but should be good enough for Graphics programs like Adobe Photoshop, and basic video editing.

I think, if most employed people carefully budget their money like saving $92 a month for a year from their job, they can save up $1099 for a more expensive computer like an iMac which cost $1099 for the cheapest model . There are people in America, and Canada with regular jobs like fast food and retail jobs who can buy a car, iPhone, iPad and other expensive items.

Last edited:
What's the point of learning to use software that you won't be able to use after you finish school because you can't afford to buy iMacs?

I took a GFX class at college last semester in the sole graphic room at the college which was nothing but imacs and other apple products and there wasn't anything I used that couldn't be done on windows or linux. Not sure why they use them only but it seems to be their thing.

I took a GFX class at college last semester in the sole graphic room at the college which was nothing but imacs and other apple products and there wasn't anything I used that couldn't be done on windows or linux. Not sure why they use them only but it seems to be their thing.

I read on tech blogs that the iMac built-in monitor have a highresolution screen, and good color accuracy.

A lot of graphic design companies use iMacs and the Mac Pro for work, so it is probably best for students to learn how to use Apple computers at school before they apply for jobs at companies which only use Apple computers for graphics, and video editing.

Back