People who choose to move from console to PC?

lb

愛してるザラ
Full GL Member
Credits
A few days ago a friend of mine texted me a picture of a gaming keyboard and said he was gonna be building a PC to game on instead of playing his PS4. And just recently a good friend of mine from my childhood got a custom built PC to game on instead of getting an Xbox One. Do you have any friends who have done this? What do you say to them? :whistling:

I think people who choose to switch from console to PC want to play games at better graphics settings, faster frame rates. and higher resolutions. PC games are usually cheaper than new game console games. There are also a lot of good free to play games like Dota 2, League of Legends, Runescape, etc which are not available on console.

Also, a lot of older PC games, and some current PC games can run on an average priced $400-500 computer from Dell, HP, Acer, and other generic PC brands . If you build your own Gaming computer, you can build a decent gaming PC for $500-700 which can play most games on medium to high video settings.

I wish I knew more people who are into PC Gaming, so they can recommend some good games for me to play on PC.

PC gaming has it's benefits for certain. 

Games can cost less if you get them via humble bundles or steam sales. However, most games on PC are sold digitally. And like I've lamented before this does have some drawbacks. If your account gets deleted, you lose access to the games you paid for (typically mentioned in the ToS of the store you're using, ex- steam or origin). Last I heard, you also can't return or trade digital games yet. Beyond that if a maker decides it suits them, they can yank games from your collection. Which means you own nothing because, in effect, you're only renting games. 

Additionally keeping top end hardware to play newer games at highest settings will be FAR more expensive. (Graphics cards alone can run from $250 to over a thousand. And upgrade timelines vary.)

And not going to lie, sometimes PC gaming is a bit of a headache when it comes to getting games to run. On paper a game might look like it will run fine on your hardware. But then in practice there be glitches and problems all over. And this stems from the fact that PC developers have no idea what hardware/software combination you'll have. And that means testing for hardware is tougher so higher chance of bugs. Unlike consoles, which have one specific set and can be optimized for that particular set up. (For example... you might have an Intel i5 with a Nvidia GTX 660 or an i7 with a GTX 760M or a AMD FX 8350 with a Radeon R9 270. And one might have Windows 7, another Windows 8, yet another might be Linux Mint.)

Now, most gamers I know actually have consoles and PC. They don't lock themselves into one platform and use only that. (Instead they switch back and forth, playing games on PC and console.) Which makes sense... they want to play games of all different sorts.  Some games aren't available on PC (like if they're PS4 or XB1 exclusive titles) or they aren't available on console (like World of Warcraft or Dota 2).
And that would be what I'd tell people... Don't lock yourself into the mindset of "There can be only one" because you'll miss things. Also, don't become one of those "PC master race" sorts. Play games, enjoy them all on any platform. 

TRAITORS!!! Traitors every one of them! :p

*ahem.*

I don't care what you use to game, I honestly might be a PC gamer as well if the consoles didn't hold such great IPs.

I now mostly game on PC because my Xbox 360 broke, and I'm not sure if I want to buy another 360, or other console because there are not many games which I am interested in playing on them. Plus, the current gen consoles prices for the the Wii U, Xbox One, and PS4 are still expensive.

I plan on playing PC games now until I decide which console I want to buy.

I can also more easily afford many Full PC games since there are games that cost under $10 on gog.com, Steam, Humble bundle, or they are free to play like Dota 2, League of Legends, World of Tanks, World of Planes, Maple Story, etc.

Demon_Skeith said:
TRAITORS!!! Traitors every one of them! :p

*ahem.*

I don't care what you use to game, I honestly might be a PC gamer as well if the consoles didn't hold such great IPs.
+1, my point exactly. That, and if developers didn't make terrible ports in most cases meaning the specs require a very expensive PC to run correctly. 

Martin said:
+1, my point exactly. That, and if developers didn't make terrible ports in most cases meaning the specs require a very expensive PC to run correctly. 
Yeah, but to use a console you have to own an expensive tv set too... Which kind of equates with the price of a gaming PC...

alakazam said:
Yeah, but to use a console you have to own an expensive tv set too... Which kind of equates with the price of a gaming PC...
I agree some TVs are pretty expensive especially those Smart TVs with internet access, and support for Apps like Netflix and YouTube.

The cost of furniture like a couch or nice chair, and a TV stand and shelf to hold the TV, console, games, accessories like controllers, webcam, and chargers for controllers, etc for your console can also cost a lot of money as well.

You also have to own an expensive surround system if you want to hear games in surround sound on a TV. Surround sound speakers for PC seem to be more affordable at $60 and up compared to setting up a Home Theater surround sound system with speakers, speaker wires, amplifiers, and a sound receiver box which can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars to fill a large room with sound.

Most good Gaming PC's also come with a 5.1 surround sound card on the motherboard, so you don't need to buy a separate surround sound receiver for your PC. 

Back