Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Just read on the Platinum Games' executive director and producer Atsushi Inaba and game designer Takahisa Taura interview by Gematsu at the event, main points of the interview:

Gematsu: Let’s get this one out of the way at the start. What’s going on with Babylon’s Fall?

Atsushi Inaba:
“I’m sorry, but it’s up to the publisher to release any news. So if you could wait a little more, I’d appreciate it. But development has been going well so far.”

Inaba-san, you also said that 2019 is going to be a big year for Platinum Games. How, specifically?

Inaba:
“Well first, Taura’s Astral Chain is going to be released. And other than that there’s potential to release news about new titles we have on the way. And all this news would bring a major change to Platinum Games, I believe.”

Earlier this year, the cooperation between Cygames and Platinum Games on Granblue Fantasy: Relink came to an end. All mention of Platinum Games was removed from the game’s website. Was this an amicable split?

Inaba:
“It was just a matter of the contract coming to an end. At the end of our initial agreement, they decided they will make the rest of the game by themselves. So we have no say in it, and we shouldn’t really care too much.”

How do you feel about having the Platinum Games logo removed from the project?

Inaba:
“It’s not really about me. There were staff involved in the project, so I don’t feel its my right to talk on their behalf. It might have been a happy ending if they were to be involved to the end, but a contract is a contract. When a partnership ends, it’s natural for our logo to be taken off their project. Also, from the point the contract ended, whatever decisions Cygames make for their game is theirs alone. It would be weird to have Platinum’s logo still there after they’ve decided to make the rest of the game on their own.”

Can you say anything about Bayonetta 3, like who the director may be?

Inaba:
“(Looks at Taura.) What do you think?”
Taura: “Don’t ask me! (Laughs.)”
Inaba: “Sorry, again we can’t share anything. Although I can assure you, development is going smoothly. So please wait for further updates.”

I’d like to talk about Astral Chain if possible. Can you say whether it’s an open-world game?

Inaba:
“We can’t share anything about the game, unfortunately.”
Taura: “We released the first trailer not too long ago, so all I can say is to enjoy speculating about it through the footage.”
Inaba: “We want to share more, but we can’t.”
Taura: “It’s not far from release, so there will be news soon.”

Any lessons you may have learned?

Taura:
“Well, not only NieR, but I think I’ve learned from all my past titles. I obviously cant say anything specific right now, but it definitely had a positive impact.”

How has Hideki Kamiya’s involvement been on the project?

Taura:
“Well, since Kamiya-san is a very seasoned game director, he always gave me advice when I was struggling with the design. Most times, he showed me several paths I can take, and he let me choose the path that felt is best for the game. Of course, there were also times he sat down and talked with me to hone in some ideas. So he is like a wise adviser to the whole team.”

Our time is about up. Any last messages for the fans?

Taura:
Astral Chain is coming out on August 30, so stay tuned for more information. We hope you can get a copy of the game and enjoy it, and we can guarantee that its good.”
Inaba: “What he said.”

Last edited:
Back