Playing Games vs Watching Games

Broadleaf

Awards
Credits
Do you prefer to watch games being played over actually playing the game yourself?  To be perfectly honest, the majority of the time I prefer to watch the game being played, usually on YouTube, but sometimes on Twitch.tv as well. 

There's just something so fun to me in watching somebody else play a game.  Perhaps I'm getting the same experience most people would get if they were to play the game themselves by watching it being played because I'm absolutely dreadful at most games.  Watching a game being played and commented by for instance, is a lot funnier and entertaining then continually dying in a hard to play platformer.  Additionally, the interactions people seem to have in games like Arma and Dayz are amazing when watched back, however when I attempt to play such games I'm called out on how horrible I am, and end up disliking playing the game because of how hostile the people can be in games such as those.

Another great benefit of preferring to watch games being played is that it costs significantly less money.  All you need to watch a game is a monitor, a computer, and internet access.  Hypothetically all you need is a mobile device and WiFi actually.

That being said, I'd like to know what you all think and prefer.  I'm assuming I'll get many responses stating that you'd rather play a game than watch it being played such as on YouTube, but please elaborate as to why that is your preference. 

When it comes down to it I would say I prefer to play but for a lot of games my main medium is watching. I watch a lot of magic the gathering because it's so expensive to spend the time and money to be active in that game. If it simply came down to what I enjoy I would say playing over watching.

Actually, I like watching too. When I see a game that interests me and I want to see it, but do not wish to own or play, I'll find a nice "Let's Play" or I'll see if I can watch just the cutscenes like a movie.

I hate when people are mean in online games. You never know, maybe the player is new and just learning the controls, or maybe this could be an opportunity to gain a friend and help them become a better player on your team. But, no! They're always "n00b" this and "learn 2 play" that and "what an idiot, he shouldn't even play"! It's not fair and it's not respectful!
That's why I quit playing TF2. It was fun for a while but the hostility and negativity drove me away.

Yea negativity used to be (and still is) a huge problem sometimes. I guess I just don't see the point of why some of these people are just trying to bring people down. I have found that playing with friends is the best way to get rid of this. If you play league and need a group to play with we always have a friendly group that is around!

I used to game a lot, but now I tend to load up Twitch on another monitor and do something else at the same time. This can be surfing the web, playing a different game, working out, or anything else that doesn't need too much attention. Nowadays though, I tend to watch just League of Legends and Hearthstone on Twitch then eventually get an itch to play for a short bit. Overall though, I'd say I watch more than game.

It really depends on what type of game. If it's heavy with storyline, I'm completely OK with just watching it. I've spent so many nights in college and afterwards just watching my friends play Ocarina of Time. Later, when online games were the norm it was amusing to just sit back and listen to everyone trash talk. If it's gameplay intensive, though, I can't do it. I get all anxious and feel like I could do a better job! 

I love watching games, let's players to be specific, because the commentators make it so much fun to watch. I really only like to watch horror, story-based, and indie games though. However, if the game has a great story (such as The Walking Dead), then I want to experience it myself before watching someone else. I've been avoiding The Walking Dead Season 2 videos for this reason. Even though I love watching let's players, however, this type of content has a huge flaw.

Any game based on the premise of story may actually see a reduction in sales if let's played. If the person watching has already seen the story in its entirety, why would they buy the game? Another issue is that let's players tend to make the game look more fun than it really is. This was a problem for me, as I watched many let's players playing game modes like Prop Hunt and TTT on Garry's Mod. So when I decided to play it myself, I found that it was so boring if you played it alone. I could give countless more examples as well. Games like Goat Simulator and Goofball are two of them. These games are very fun to watch, but for most people, it will be bland after 10 minutes of playing. These games have little substance, and the let's players paint a fake picture of how fun it really is.

But other than that, I think watching games is a great way to experience what gaming has to offer. However, I would suggest actually playing the games first if it has anything to do with story, and don't buy a game based on a let's play. 

Depends. If the game is Silent Hill or of similar nature, I enjoy watching the storyline unfold. My sister plays and I watch, as she doesn't want to play it alone. Alas, I also play.

If it's a game I like playing I prefer to playing it because I can't resist just sitting and watching the. But if it's a genre I don't indulge in or if it's a game with incredibly beautiful graphics I prefer to watching someone play.

If it's entertaining like Game Grumps, I watch it.  Unless it's a game I don't want spoilers in, then I'd rather play it myself.  I don't do Twitch or any lets plays that are just playing the game without any other form of entertainment.   I prefer watching someone play it in the same room as me over any other form of watching.

For me, it depends on the game. If the game's an action adventure title, I'd surely love to play it myself but if its an RPG or dungeon crawler i'd love to watch it being played. We can't just choose to either watch or play. It all depends upon the game.

I love just watching people play games as well, especially players who are very good at the particular game I'm watching. I used to watch my friends play through a lot of the old games back then, and I find I can enjoy it a little more when I am just observing and don't need to concentrate so much on figuring things out.

I'm fine with either, really, but I can become an annoying backseat gamer!

Funny story, Brian Foster Kane is a friend to video game and anime voice actors Troy Baker and Travis Willingham (I think?) who featured in Call of Duty: Black Ops. Kane was trying to play that game with the voice actors in the room with him, and when they watch without playing, they get excitable. Poor guy testified to being yelled at, by them, in the game, and yelled at, by them, in the room. It must have been like an auditory tackle puppy pile.

As for watching videos, some Let's Play commentaries can be really fun!

I can completely relate to your point, there is that relaxing feeling of someone playing a game, whether it is a short clip of them doing something spectacular or a live stream where they don't do much but just play the game as if you were playing it.

Personally, I would only sit and watch a live stream if it was for a special reason or if I am playing a game that requires a lot of grinding (*thought bubble* old school runescape). For those situations it is perfect to watch someone else talk and play the same game that you are currently playing as well. 

However, I would definitely never sit and watch a long live stream out of the pure enjoyment factor. I need to be doing/playing something else at the same time. Short videos are a different matter, as I keep up with a handful of youtubers and their weekly releases of short videos which range from 5-15 minutes long. Always nice to keep up with that, especially at times where I don't have the time to play the game myself, makes me feel as if I am keeping up with the updates and not lagging behind the trend.

You all have very good points that I wouldn't mind discussing.  I agree that Let's Plays can be very fun to watch and a great way to experience a game through, you could say that was the main focus of this discussion topic.  Somebody had also mentioned not liking watching heavily story based games.  I myself watch more Let's Plays of story games than any other because as aforementioned it costs considerably less and you get the entire story.  That being said, some games are just so great that you just have to buy them after watching them.  An example of this is The Last of Us, which was a very heavily story based game.  After watching an entire play-through on YouTube, I immediately went down to the store and picked it up so I could play it that weekend.  I finished the entire story twice on my own, and once through YouTube.  I suppose, however, that all this is subjective and really depends on a lot of factors.  Let's just say that sometimes Let's Plays can spike interest in story based games, but it is a case by case basis solely.

Watching is so boring imo. I really love to play games but rarely watch videos of them or watch someone else play the games. If I need help in one my first source of info is YouTube guide videos though.

It depends on the game for me. 

For heavy story based games, such as The Walking Dead or The Last of Us, I prefer playing them myself so that I can experience all the emotions that it entails. It is somewhat like a movie to me, and I want to experience it myself instead of some comedic guy talking over important parts or adding commentary that I do not care about. 

For games that have heavy replay ability or sand box type of games, such as Garry's Mod or Minecraft, I prefer watching them. Especially if they are YouTubers that pay together as a group. Some examples of these YouTubers are Vanoss, Seananners, and Yogscast. 

I think watching people play games can be a helpful tool when people are stuck at one part of a game. Also, people can watch games because they want to be entertained. For example, Pewdiepie has over twenty-five million subscribers on Youtube because of his outlandish reactions while playing video games. Personally, I find the guy annoying but that is just  my taste. Another reason why people watch other people play video games is that they cannot afford to buy the games to begin with. This avenue may be the only way they may be able to see the game if that is the case. Regardless of the reasons, I see no harm with it.

I'd say my ratio of time spent playing League of Legends to watching it is 10:1.  I don't see any problem with watching the game as I learn a lot from watching more experienced players.  Still I like to actually play more than anything, It's more enjoyable and its the best way to get better at the game. 

I prefer experiencing the story of a game by myself, so that means I prefer to play rather than watch a game being played. I do like to watch Let's Play videos though, because I enjoy the commentary and sometimes I want to see if the person that recorded the video had the same reaction I had when playing a specific game. It's funny to see a person struggle with a level that you have already beaten, it's a "been there, done that" feeling and it feels good. :p

Also, keep in mind that most youtubers edit out any boring or bad experiences clips to be able to give you an entertaining final product, that's why they always seem to be having such a great time while playing online, it doesn't mean that you are playing wrong or anything.

Back