Playing games with old graphics.

petesede

Credits
I think almost as soon as I began playing games I realized that graphics do not make a game. And after that it developed into almost a realization that the more ´advanced´ the graphics, the worse the gameplay would be. There have been few exceptions along the way ( Skyrim at release)... but almost without exception, every game I truely love was always viewed as having either average or subpar graphics when it was relesed. The three MMOs I really enjoyed Ultima Online, WOW and DDO all fit the bill. Games like Civilization, Might and Magic, Neverwinter Nights were never praised for having advanced graphics.

But in those 20 years, look at how many games that got a ton of coverage for advanced graphics that just were complete garbage to play.

Just my perspective.

I think Shovel Knight is proof that old games still have a place in the gaming world.

I used to play only games with good graphics.As I tried games with a bit worse graphics I realised graphics don't mean a lot to a game.If it has a good story and gameplay then I don't really care about them

I recently played Medal of Honor: Frontline for Gamecube and that game is a true testament that graphics do not matter. Obviously, they play a huge role. But, the story itself in that game was intense and incredibly challenging. It always kept me engaged!

The thing is back then when games were released, one of the main things that were taken into account is the storyline. Games didn't work if it had really bad storyline.

Nowadays with the advent of these super fast computers and progress in the gaming sector, companies can make awesome looking games with crappy storylines and get away with it by using just the right amount of advertisement.

I used to play only games with good graphics.As I tried games with a bit worse graphics I realised graphics don't mean a lot to a game.If it has a good story and gameplay then I don't really care about them

I was like this too. Although, as I was growing up, graphics were evolving as well and it was easy to spot a game with "bad graphics". In the last couple of years, I have to admit I haven't noticed a significant upgrade in graphics like it was in the late 90s/early 2000s. I recently got PSOne emulator trying to catch up on all the things I've missed and there are some incredible games out there.

While it's true that graphics don't make the game, I recently finished FF7 on PS1 and I must say that occasionally I had pretty hard time getting over the graphics and their... primitivity. Going to Crisis Core after that was like a breath of fresh air to me!

But I guess I'm old enough to have played the PS-era games in my childhood, so I've grown with that level of graphics, so I can live with them easier.

Back