PlayStation 4 Online-Only?

No, I like discs. I want a multiple disc port because getting up to switch discs constantly gets to be a pain. lol Yes, I am lazy.

I would prefer a download only system, but I would need high speed Internet to play. Just like music is moving to a download only, I don't see why gaming should be any different. I'm all for the streaming games idea, that way I don't have to wait a long time to play a game. It might take Sony a while to produce a system that accommodates users, but ultimately it will happen.

Why download only? I like that systems offer both download and retail. What happens when you run out of space? Your screwed. lol

I think future game consoles will just let you plug in a USB external hard drives, so you can have 1000s of GBs of space by using 1 or more USB hard drive which cost about 100 bucks for 1000s of GB.

It would be cool that you can also backup the game download files to another hard drive, computer, or huge memory card, so if your game console breaks, you still have your game on backup files on your computer, laptop to copy onto your new game console.

I'm broke better then half the time and cannot thus afford the kind of internet connection that would allow me to use a system without a disc drive. So to be frank - if the disc ever goes then I'm done moving forward and will simply remain in the very cheap past, which is fine.

Well I sure am glad that Sony has decided to put the disc back on the agenda. I just cannot imagine having a console without the game CD. It just doesn't feel right. For one, I love collecting the CDs and am proud of my game collections. If the PS4 only supported downloaded versions of the game, we end-users would have nothing tangible. We will all be paying for things we own but can never possess. I'm not really keen on this sort of idea. Just imagine if your internet speed was slow, it would be a disaster downloading games off the PlayStation store. Picture a release of a blockbuster game such as the previous launch of MWIII. Would their servers be able to handle hundreds of thousands of simultaneous downloads? And what if the network went down like it did before? That period, the online features of gaming on the PS3 was literally useless. I just cannot imagine life without the physical CD! Really glad it is back on track!

If Sony decided to make the PS4 download only, they would lose a lot of people who were already one the fence about getting the PS3.

I think it was already announced that it wouldn't be online-only as the internet infrastructure around the world is still not well-developed enough for something like that. In Europe, crazy internet speeds are the norm, but in the rest of the world, it's nowhere near that good. So maybe the generation after the Orbis MIGHT be online only. Just not this one.

I can't see how an online only game system would do as well as they're hoping. Reading through the responses I can see a lot of people
are like me and either can't or just don't want to shell out insane amounts for internet connection. I work online, and at 20 megs, split up
between all of my internet abled devices, that tends to slow your speeds down. I have 3 children, 2 of which play games, both play online,
and both choose to use different systems, so between that, my PC and everything internet ready in the household the connection lags at
times and I don't even want to imagine how snail like it would be if I were trying to download games. And the controller looks like it needs
5 people to work it. I only have 2 hands and don't usually employ my feet when gaming, so all those infernal buttons are a little daunting.

Jack Tretton was already talking about how phasing out used games would be bad for the industry. And considering there is no such thing as a "digital" used game, I seriously doubt the next Playstation will be online only

The download time would be hideous if this were to occur but I do find myself only playing online more and more. It would be neat but like someone already stated in here, its called the pc and I never really have been a pc gamer.

Back