Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Just read PS5's First details, from Wired and Gematsu, The Lead architect is the same as Ps4's Mark Cerny:

According to Cerny, the “next-gen console” will not launch in 2019, but a number of studios have been working with it, and Sony recently accelerated its deployment of development kits for the hardware.

The next-generation PlayStation will feature an AMD chip with a custom unit for 3D audio at its core, a CPU based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line, eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 micro-architecture, a specialized solid-state drive with a raw bandwidth higher than any solid-state drive available for PC, backwards compatibility with PlayStation 4 titles (previous generations were not confirmed), and support for 8K graphics and physical media. The GPU is a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, which will support ray tracing.

The solid-state drive has additional benefits, according to Cerny, such as being able to render the world at a faster speed, thus increasing the speed the character can move throughout that world. For example, on the original PlayStation 4, the camera in Marvel’s Spider-Man moves at about the speed Spider-Man hits while web-slinging, while on the next-generation PlayStation, the camera “speeds uptown like it’s mounted to a fighter jet,” according to Wired. Cerny paused during this demonstration to prove that the surrounding environment remains “perfectly crisp.”

“If you wanted to run tests to see if the player can hear certain audio sources or if the enemies can hear the players’ footsteps, ray tracing is useful for that,” Cerny said. “It’s all the same thing as taking a ray through the environment.”

Last edited:
Looking forward to it. Not surprised at with them saying it's not for this year. If the PS3/PS4 schedule was to be followed, it was obvious we would be getting information this year and the launch in 2020. Can't wait for backwards compatibility as well

Is this better than solid STATE? hehehehehe

Yes It's a next gen solid STATE drive with a native PLOT fast fetch data support lol

Read on a tweet , Cerny said it's going to have an appealing suggested retail price in light of it's features. I wonder if it's going to have the same launching price as the PS4's launching price, US$ 399.

Peter Rubin on Twitter

Hopefully, games with 8K higher quality graphics won't cost a lot of money like $100 US dollar because game makers need to spend more money making games with better graphics, more realistic sound and music, and other features.

Games won't go above $50-60 dollars. If they ever go above that, they're going to end up having problems with a lack of sales because no one can afford to spend that much frequently for games.

thoughts on how a SSD may not last as long as an HDD?

I think there is a chance that installing, and uninstalling a lot of big games everyday may damage the SSD overtime since SSD storage chips have a limited number of write cycles.

I feel some SSD maybe more likely to get damaged from heat because the plastic case on SSD is not be as good for helping cool the drive compared to the metal case on a hard drives where the metal case on a hard drive does not trap heat as much as a plastic case found on a SSD where heat have a harder time escaping through plastic.

I didn't realise that we might have issues like that with a SSD. I guess I'll just wait a bit before getting the console to ensure they realise any problems they have and fix it.

Wonder if it's going to be a M.2 type ssd or the standard one.

hopefully so, as its the fastest of the fast but it would up cost a bit.
Yes. And SSD prices are going downwards, so should be fine cost wise.

Read some former President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, Jack Tretton's comments on Ps5 and next Gen era, from Venture Beat:

“I think they’re very well-positioned. The leader of the prior generation is always in a good position going into the new generation. From what I’ve read about the specs of PlayStation 5, it sounds impressive. Their business model obviously worked well for them the last time around, and it doesn’t look like they’re going to deviate from that,” Tretton said. However, he also added that he thinks this time around things will be a bit more competitive than before saying, “They’ll be well-positioned. But I do think they’ll face exponentially more competition than they did the last time around.”

Tretton continued on explaining what he meant further stating, “Microsoft should give them a better run for their money, and Stadia is a new wrinkle in the market that didn’t exist in 2013. Nintendo is more relevant this time around. It’s going to be a much more competitive market.”

“There are new players. But they’ve learned some valuable lessons in this generation. It should be great for everyone in the business, whether you’re a developer or a gamer. It’s going to keep everyone on their toes,” he ended.

Back