Other Playtonic removes controversial YouTuber JonTron from Yooka-Laylee

I didn't even know Jontron had a cameo in Yooka-Laylee. This whole Jontron thing is bs. You shouldn't hate someone just because you don't agree with them politically. Besides, the things Jontron said wasn't that bad. It's being blown out of proportion.

people are already canceling their pre-orders/demanding refunds on the kickstarter forums. Reddit has even joined in

It's a completely normal business move. There's really no reason anyone should be mad at Playtonic for doing what every other business out there would have done. When someone who is associated with your company puts themselves in deep water by saying stupid things, of course you're going to want to cut all ties with them. The last thing they'd want is to appear to agree with what he said.

The only person to blame in this situation is JonTron himself. He should have thought before he spoke. I read some of the stuff he was saying and a few different articles on the matter and I can honestly say the things he was saying were pure stupidity. I find it funny that he started back peddling and trying to "clear up" what he actually meant only after he started to lose subscribers. I guess once the numbers started to go down, he realized he screwed up.

Anyways, not much of a loss to the game at all. The game never was or should have been about JonTron, and his character being in the game or not should never be a selling point to anyone. This is why companies need to stop having "special guests" in their games.

It's a completely normal business move. There's really no reason anyone should be mad at Playtonic for doing what every other business out there would have done. When someone who is associated with your company puts themselves in deep water by saying stupid things, of course you're going to want to cut all ties with them. The last thing they'd want is to appear to agree with what he said.

The only person to blame in this situation is JonTron himself. He should have thought before he spoke. I read some of the stuff he was saying and a few different articles on the matter and I can honestly say the things he was saying were pure stupidity. I find it funny that he started back peddling and trying to "clear up" what he actually meant only after he started to lose subscribers. I guess once the numbers started to go down, he realized he screwed up.

Anyways, not much of a loss to the game at all. The game never was or should have been about JonTron, and his character being in the game or not should never be a selling point to anyone. This is why companies need to stop having "special guests" in their games.

a lot of people got it and backed it because of him and now they've pissed off about 2/3 of their fans because of it. Hope they like bankruptcy because that's right where I see this decision taking them

One extreme shouldn't be met with another extreme. That's the main problem with politics.

Of course, this won't stop me from getting the game because I didn't even know about Jon having a part.

They won't go bankrupt over this. Not even close. Saying that they're going to lose two-thirds of their fan base is completely inaccurate.

First of all, people won't get refunds from the Kickstarter. The game is finished, the money spent. Secondly, Playtonic didn't do anything that would warrant them being forced to refund money. They are delivering exactly what they promised, a game. JonTron's involvement in the game was something completely on the side that Playtonic decided to do since he was a major Banjo-Kazooie fan. This was before they found out he's a blatant racist, of course, and they've decided to remove him from the game because of it. That is 100% in their right to do, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

After digging even further into the things that JonTron said, I can only applaud Playtonic for being upstanding enough to show JonTron that there are consequences to the things you say. Freedom of speech doesn't mean there are no consequences to saying things that are morally terrible. I've also noticed a large number of people who have become more interested in the game after Playtonic removed him than they were before. So they may lose some sales from JonTron fans, but they're going to also gain sales in return from people supporting this move. In the end they'll be just fine.

They won't go bankrupt over this. Not even close. Saying that they're going to lose two-thirds of their fan base is completely inaccurate.

First of all, people won't get refunds from the Kickstarter. The game is finished, the money spent. Secondly, Playtonic didn't do anything that would warrant them being forced to refund money. They are delivering exactly what they promised, a game. JonTron's involvement in the game was something completely on the side that Playtonic decided to do since he was a major Banjo-Kazooie fan. This was before they found out he's a blatant racist, of course, and they've decided to remove him from the game because of it. That is 100% in their right to do, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

After digging even further into the things that JonTron said, I can only applaud Playtonic for being upstanding enough to show JonTron that there are consequences to the things you say. Freedom of speech doesn't mean there are no consequences to saying things that are morally terrible. I've also noticed a large number of people who have become more interested in the game after Playtonic removed him than they were before. So they may lose some sales from JonTron fans, but they're going to also gain sales in return from people supporting this move. In the end they'll be just fine.
What did Jontron say that was racist? I couldn't make it more than 20 minutes into the video because the other guy was kind of an idiot for saying ISIS wasn't a threat. But the worst I heard was something about how whites should be afraid of being a minority, which I disagree with since as Americans, it shouldn't matter who's a minority. Other than that, I didn't hear anything else that was racist.

Many of this comments in his conversation with Steve Bonnell lean heavily towards a mindset of white supremacy. The most telling of which being when he brought up concerns that eventually immigrants would enter the gene-pool.

He also made many discriminatory remarks towards Mexicans and blacks, most notable of which was when he stated that "rich blacks commit more crimes than poor whites." Which there is absolutely no evidence to support, and making such a ridiculous claim is nothing short of racist. Making such a statement when there is zero evidence of it is going purely based on the racist stereotype that blacks are all criminals.

The fact that he defended Steve King doesn't help his case any at all either.

Many of this comments in his conversation with Steve Bonnell lean heavily towards a mindset of white supremacy. The most telling of which being when he brought up concerns that eventually immigrants would enter the gene-pool.

He also made many discriminatory remarks towards Mexicans and blacks, most notable of which was when he stated that "rich blacks commit more crimes than poor whites." Which there is absolutely no evidence to support, and making such a ridiculous claim is nothing short of racist. Making such a statement when there is zero evidence of it is going purely based on the racist stereotype that blacks are all criminals.

The fact that he defended Steve King doesn't help his case any at all either.
Well that's the guy that I didn't like too much, but yeah I can see that. I kind of wonder if he's referring to rappers when he says that because a lot of rappers do have bad reps like Chris Brown and others I can't think of off the top of my head, but really rap has gotten a lot of bad rep due to the nature of what they talk about. I'm not saying it's okay to judge someone based on being a rapper, but over the past few years that does show.

This is why it's always best to keep opinions to yourself. They always come back and bite you.

full

I'll just leave that here.

As for Playtonic letting the person go, they are within their rights to do so and should their fanbase have an issue with that then they too have a right to do what they wish. But end of the day, nothing will be changed because the fanbase is angry and trying to pull their support. Those of you saying that Playtonic will or hope will crash and burn well guess what, they won't. If anything this is free advertising for them for entering this lime light right now by dropping this guy and jumping on this hate train hype.

Last edited:
the backers are exercising their freedom of speech by demanding a refund, which they can get by going to their credit card company, whom will take it back from Playtonic

Playtonic is badmouthing people who are demanding a refund and banning them on the Steam Forums. They've only dug the hole deeper. Playtonic is well within their rights to remove JonTron and the backers are well within their rights to get their money back, which can be done via the credit card company

I have a feeling this whole thing is going throw Yooka-Laylee into a form of development hell. So much for the return of 3D platformers. :(

the backers are exercising their freedom of speech by demanding a refund, which they can get by going to their credit card company, whom will take it back from Playtonic

No one is getting a refund from a transaction from 2 years ago. That doesn't happen and they are simply SoL and now know the risks of funding something.

I have a feeling this whole thing is going throw Yooka-Laylee into a form of development hell. So much for the return of 3D platformers. :(

Considering the game is 3 weeks from launching I'm sure its being shipped out as we speak. Maybe some trouble down the line for DLC/squeals but this main game is coming.

No one is getting a refund from a transaction from 2 years ago. That doesn't happen and they are simply SoL and now know the risks of funding something.

Considering the game is 3 weeks from launching I'm sure its being shipped out as we speak. Maybe some trouble down the line for DLC/squeals but this main game is coming.
That's awesome then. It sucks for the potential future, but the present is looking good.

Like I said before, and Demon_Skeith said above, no one is getting their money back. Playtonic has done nothing to warrant backers getting a refund. The Kickstarter promised to deliver a game, and the game is being delivered. JonTron doing some grunts in the game was never the point of the Kickstarter, and was just a bonus thing. It was never a promise of the Kickstarter and it wasn't a stretch goal.

None of the money pledged to the game was so JonTron could be in it. Doesn't matter how angry people are over this, there is absolutely nothing they can do. Let the JonTron community cry and whine over this all they want, the true gamers and fans of games like Yooka-Laylee will be there to support Playtonic and their game.

Like I said before, and Demon_Skeith said above, no one is getting their money back. Playtonic has done nothing to warrant backers getting a refund. The Kickstarter promised to deliver a game, and the game is being delivered. JonTron doing some grunts in the game was never the point of the Kickstarter, and was just a bonus thing. It was never a promise of the Kickstarter and it wasn't a stretch goal.

None of the money pledged to the game was so JonTron could be in it. Doesn't matter how angry people are over this, there is absolutely nothing they can do. Let the JonTron community cry and whine over this all they want, the true gamers and fans of games like Yooka-Laylee will be there to support Playtonic and their game.

That's another thing, this game is merely grunts. What is the issue of any VA being cut.

I heard they're adding a patch to take out Jon's voice. Honestly, they should just make that patch optional. Then it'll please those of both sides. Like Jontron? Cool, you have him. Don't like Jontron? Cool, you have a patch to fix that. Everyone wins.

Back