Pokémon X and Y, Honedge Revealed

Lleyn

Beep
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Since the upcoming Pokémon X and Y are greatly inspired by France, it was natural for the team Game Freak to use the Japan Expo that took place in Paris, France, to unveil a new Pokémon.

Indeed, Junichi Masuda, director of Game Freak, explained in a video that Pokémon X and Y had "beauty" as a theme and that the Kalos region was based greatly on France, with Lumiose city holding a Parisian background, with a hard to Eifel tower. Moreover, in the same video, Masuda revealed yet another Pokémon known as Honedge.
Honedge is the first of its kind, being a Steel/Ghost dual type. So far, the only attack that has been revealed for the Pokémon is Sword Dance, a passive attack that suits its appearance.
For reference, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y are the next upcoming releases of the now 17 years old Pokémon franchise and will revolutionised the gameplay by introducing a full 3D environment and 3D battles thanks to the technology of the 3DS. The games will be released for all 3DS regions on October 12th, 2013, this simultaneous global release being another novelty for the series.

Sometimes, I wonder what Game Freak is thinking.

The implication they may give out - accidentally or intentionally - is that this is the Magikarp of Gen VI.

Otherwise, it looks like a decent Pokemon, albeit too obviously inspired by whatever the original book or whatever that Disney made into Beauty and the Beast was.

The design does look like something from Disney, but the background story isn't. Stories of possessed swords are actually common in Japan and JRPGs.

Also I don't see why Honedge would be the Magikarp of this gen. Sword Dance was the only attack revealed so far, but that doesn't mean that this is the only attack it will get.
I can easily see it learning Shadow Claw or Meteor Mash.

A sword? Really? What happened to mutants and animals?

Back