Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Today, Nintendo announced a new downloadable 3DS companion app for their upcoming Pokemon X and Y versions. It's called Pokemon Bank, and it's used to store in-game Pokemon in the cloud.

Pokemon Bank allows you to store Pokemon in online boxes—100 boxes, meaning 3000 Pokemon in total, which is far more than the game's in-built total storage capacity. The software will also let you transfer Pokemon from the previous generation (ie. Pokemon Black & White and Pokemon Black 2 & White 2) into X/Y, with a feature called "Poké Transporter."

Nintendo also revealed that since the service will require constant maintenance, players who want to use it will have to pay an annual fee.

Pokemon Bank launches in Japan on December 25, where it will cost 500 yen, about $5, annually. No release date, or pricing information, has been released for regions outside of Japan yet.
source

And here I was wrong they couldn't bleed anymore money from the fans, boy was I wrong.

I haven't played pokemon games in years (Silver being my last one I played any amount of.)

But the fact they now have a cloud based system for transferring pokemon is a nice idea... If it didn't cost 5$ even a year. I mean seriously? That should be included in the cost of the game. Someone buys pokemon X for and they should get this feature since I highly doubt it would take much for Nintendo to set up and maintain this. They probably waste more money tossing out ideas and partially completed games than this cloud system would even cost.

VirusZero said:
I haven't played pokemon games in years (Silver being my last one I played any amount of.)

But the fact they now have a cloud based system for transferring pokemon is a nice idea... If it didn't cost 5$ even a year. I mean seriously? That should be included in the cost of the game. Someone buys pokemon X for and they should get this feature since I highly doubt it would take much for Nintendo to set up and maintain this. They probably waste more money tossing out ideas and partially completed games than this cloud system would even cost.
I'm willing to bet they don't realize the full cost of cloud servers.  I can see it going like this:

Server guy: Here is your bill

Nintendo: What is this?

server guy: Your monthly bill.

Nintendo: AAAAHHHHHHH MY MARIO GOD!!!!!

Server guy: So that will be check then?

Nintendo: *still screaming like a little girl.*

Back