PS3 Beats Xbox One in Japan

Liv6

Awards
Credits
While Sony has happily revealed a new version of the PS4 launching in the region at the end of the month, it appears that Microsoft just can't catch a break in Japan. As reported by Kotaku, between June 8th and June 14th, the Xbox One sold only 100 units, reaching a new all time low in terms of sales.  

To put that figure into context, the PS3 sold 2633 units in the same week. Yes, that last gen console. Clearly no one wants to play Sunset Overdrive. The new 3DS XL is at the top of the Media Create Japanese console chart with 19,320 units while the Wii U sits at number two with 16,413. The PS4 completes the top three with 10,822. Even the Vita TV is selling five times more than Xbox One with 566 units being taken home. 

Microsoft has already voiced discontent with sales in Japan, with a weak launch period but this is further proof that the console just doesn't have a market in the country. Poor Xbox One. 
I would've never saw this coming. Apparently, the PS3 is quickly gaining popularity in Japan right now through reasons unbeknownst to Microsoft. Is anyone else surprised?

Ok, not to beat up on Microsoft, but who DIDN'T expect this?

The XB1 is selling even worse than the 360 did. And for all intensive purposes, the PS3 is still a popular format there.

Microsoft is in a bad way. I know they WANT to pull out of Japan. But they know they can't unless they want to lose what little Japan developer support they have.

So they HAVE to stay in Japan, if at least to save face.

tarverten said:
Microsoft is in a bad way. I know they WANT to pull out of Japan. But they know they can't unless they want to lose what little Japan developer support they have.

So they HAVE to stay in Japan, if at least to save face.

I don't think Sony now is going to have that hard of a time selling the PS4 to Japan. I'm still surprised that it's doing SO poorly; I would've expected a little more support. However, I think you're absolutely correct; they are too deep in now to get out. Microsoft just doesn't have the same market as Sony with the PS3, or the PS4 for that matter. 

They simply just aren't wanted in most of Asia. Last generation they even had jrpg games made exclusive to them for awhile. Even those didn't give them enough sales and those games ended up right back where they belonged, at Playstation.

I'm not sure what they can do to make themselves viable in Asia. I'm without a clue.

The only way they'd survive out there is by buying Japanese companies. But of course, all that would do is make the Japan gamers revolt and NOT buy the product even less than they do now.

only 100? That is both weak and shameful.

They need total rebranding. They need to diassociate the Xbox with Microsoft in Japan in a dire way. Then work with a Japanese subsidiary to rebrand it.

They would still have ownership but now they'd have a chance at getting SOME market appeal

I'm not going to lie with hard facts like this coming out I still don't understand why people are buying the Xbox one and believe it's a better console. I'm not saying PS4 is the better console but with more people buying it that means more people online, more money going into Sony to make awesome games etc. It just makes sense :p

Back