PS4 is the End of the Line

Wolfjaw

Lupus Maximus
Awards
Credits
I think that if the PS4 keeps that name, it will be the last one. Sony systems may keep using "PlayStation", but they'll probably use another subname, or pull an iPad, and drop the number entirely.

So true.
The other day someone was asking me about the new iPad 3s and I was like "what?"
What do you mean iPad 3? Its just called the new iPad.
Also PS4 should be the end of the line.

The new PS4 is going to go the way of South Park and sprout legs like Cartman's Trapper Keeper. It's going to become aware and turn
red and attempt to enslave the world. Talking about having to download games online? Those aren't games you're downloading, but rather
components of a hive mind that will eventually enslave us all and use us to participate in death games for their amusement.

Well PS4 should be a very hi-tech gaming device as it has been already quoted to be the future of gaming devices. The Real-time demo of Square Enix at the E3 showed us the glimpse of what the future of gaming holds for us. Awesome graphics will surely be a welcome for passionate gamers, which will further indulge gamers into a deep gaming mood that everyone wants!

Here is one of the screenshot of Square Enix real-time demo

43ffc605bb.jpg

We never know how the future will look. I personally think it would be neat for them to have the ps4, ps5, ps6. If we look at operating systems, they still have been using numbers for many many years like mac os and windows. But they didn't call the psp the psp2 so you may be on to something.

But...we've already seen the Playstation 9 :happy:
Honestly, I don't think it'll matter. Everything seems to be moving toward consolidation. In two or three generations, "Playstation" will probably be a service on our Smart Tv's, much like Netflix or Hulu.

We won't get the PS V and VI in America, and instead we'll get the PS VII, which comes with a Buster Sword : P

FF Joking aside, I think PS4 will be the last named entry. They'll probably start naming their consoles PlayStation something....like, for example, PlayStation Nova.

I wouldn't mind a name change because I'm tired of all the numbers. Every time Sony makes a new console they should create a new name for it. Just like they did for the PSP-Go. They could of went with a generic name like PSP2, but they though of something that fit the product. Even though the product didn't sell very well, it still had a cool name IMO.

I think they should stop at PS3. Since this is supposed to be "next gen" and an incredible jump in gaming and technology, they should also start anew with a different name. Besides, three's a charm and the magic number, let it stop there for the PlayStations.

I'm the only one who seems not to mind the numbers. It's probably because I get all nostalgic thinking back to the original Play Station and PlayStation 2. :laugh: Although I guess I won't mind if they decide to start naming the PlayStation something else like "PlayStation Nova" like a previous commenter suggested.

I do think it's rather strange that Apple have called their new iPad simple the ipad. What will they call the next one? How will people know who has the new version or the superceded version in the next few years?

I think PS4 is the last elegant-sounding numbered name.

As far as the comment on the iPad, look at the iPod. It hasn't had a consumer number in a long time. To make sure you're getting the right one, you do have to check the generation, but other than that, it is just an iPod. (I'm sure that there are other examples, but that is the easiest one I can think of.)

It may be the last numeric console but it won't be the last home console from Sony. Sony has too big of a loyal fanbase behind them to drop gaming all together. :) What about the XBox? Xbox 720 sounds AWFUL if that's what Microsoft goes with. Hell the "Xbox 360" sounded pretty lame IMO, there are a lot cooler sounding names people could use for their products but at the end of the day, it's just a name and if it's a great product, who cares what it's called?

As long as there is a Twisted Metal on it I don't care what they name it. They won't drop the Playstation name but I think PS4 is beginning to sound stupid. I like just renaming it Playstation but I don't think they will do that. They should do something cool with it like name is PS Onyx or something like that. Just use the initials.

As long as there is a Twisted Metal on it I don't care what they name it. They won't drop the Playstation name but I think PS4 is beginning to sound stupid. I like just renaming it Playstation but I don't think they will do that. They should do something cool with it like name is PS Onyx or something like that. Just use the initials.
I like the sound of PS Onyx to be honest.

They explained (I can't remember what Orbis means) but they explained how the words Orbis and Vita fit together.....so I wouldn't be surprised if they call the PS4, PS Orbis. :p

Orbis Vitae is Latin for "Circle of Life" That is an interesting reasoning, as well as an interesting slogan. The only problem is that I'll think of the Lion King every time the name of the systems are mentioned.

Orbis Vitae is Latin for "Circle of Life" That is an interesting reasoning, as well as an interesting slogan. The only problem is that I'll think of the Lion King every time the name of the systems are mentioned.

Thanks for posting this. I agree that it does make sense and it's actually kind of clever. The only problem that I have is "360" is a complete circle and for them to come out with "circle of life" means that somebody didn't think this all the way through. How someone else in the boardroom didn't catch that is odd. They should find Latin words that mean "pinnacle."

Back