PS4 vs XboxOne vs Wii U

Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that the PS4 is considered region free. So I can finally play those Japan released games I always wanted to play. I wouldn't mind getting the WiiU somewhere down the line when it has a lowered price. Dropping money on them to get one or two games I might like isn't worth it for me. XboxOne is done. Their strategy to the next generation has been an epic fail.

Yes! My friend who frequently travels is extremely happy that the PS4 is region free. 

Also, I never thought to compare PC games versus console games in different countries. I am more of a PC gal myself, but I didn't realize that consoles are more popular in the US compared to other countries. Is there a particular reason for this? Perhaps it's cost? I mean...I personally think I get better deals off games through Steam.

People feel they get a better deal with a console because console cost hundreds less, but over time buying 5 games at a cost of $60 each, the price of owning a Gaming PC, and a Console are about the same, or more costly for console since you end up paying more with console game's In-game purchases like map packs, DLC, mods for console games, and paying $60 for online gameplay and services like Xbox Live, and PSN Plus.

There are also old stereotypes that you need to spend $3000 on a gaming PC desktop, and graphics card cost many thousands of dollars to upgrade which scare some people away from PC gaming. But, graphics card which cost many thousands of dollars, are designed for other tasks like making 3D movies, and not for the average PC buyer.  A $600 computer can play many games at medium to high video settings, and many older games which are still popular today like Counter Strike, League of Legends, Runescape, Star Craft The Sims, and World of Warcraft still have a huge community of gamers, so you can play one PC game for many years.

Watching TV is also a very popular activity in America, so people enjoy sitting on a couch, to play console games since it is a TV activity.

When you put them all side by side it kind of makes the Wii U look overly expensive. I know it's price will probably decrease quickly as it did with the Wii but it's slightly too expensive for those specs. I guess it makes up for it by being super fun :)

I stumbled upon this same image earlier! I'm quite happy with the outcomes.. :) GO PS4!! It completely outclasses everything in the competition! The specs themselves are amazing already not to mention all the amazing features that have been shown!

-Paul

lianymode said:
Ugh. I didn't even realize there was a camera on the Xbox One until yesterday. Why is the camera there anyways? To...use as a webcam? I don't know if I really understand the purpose of having it there in the first place.
Motion capture for games. Here's an example of a purely Kinect game from the 360, but many games just have small features including it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j7fBFK1EdA

---

The fact that the PS4 is region-free is really important to me. I like JRPGs, which sometimes don't get released in Europe. I also move countries for work.

Really nice breakdown.  I'm still leaning towards the ps4.  I can't seem to justify to myself why I should spend an extra $100 for the xbox one.

Looking at the breakdown, it's easy to see the pros and cons of each console. Microsoft really screwed up their new console. It costs $100 more than the PS4, requires internet connection, and cannot run used games. Sony's PS4 has similar specs and does not have any of the negative aspects of the Xbox One. The Wii U, while the specs don't seems as great, has backwards compatibility and can also run games in HD at 60 FPS as demonstrated in their Smash Bros U and Mario Kart 8 release. In my opinion, PS4 is the best console of these three.

Nintendo stopped trying to compete on specs with other consoles around the N64 or the Gamecube. They were more about cute cartoony graphics, fun games, party games, weird but innovative controllers. They are just doing what they do best, appeal to famillies with children or group of players who just want to have fun without needing hardcore performance from a console. They have the same target audience as before and they are keeping it.

Meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft fight to the death to find out who can be the strongest and blow the more minds. Nintendo walks away from the fight without losing nor gaining new fans, but still making enough money to survive.

WiiU is still the best money for this generation, but I may well invest in a PS4 this time. Microsoft is just going to have to die in a ditch this time. I mean I love my 360, but seriously - who are they actually marketing to? It can't be most people - forgetting about the used gams thing there is the issue of constant internet, not actually owning my games, and the impossible internet level... also the consequences of losing your Live account. I mean they've effectively spit in the face of every current customer they have.

Back