PS4NoDRM Campaign

VirusZero

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
After microsoft's unveiling of the xbox one, people were justifiably upset that microsoft had gone ahead and implemented some very anti-consumer moves. Afterwards some rumours surfaced that Sony was going to have a similar sort of DRM scheme on the PS4. Naturally people were not happy. After a bit of organization on another forum, they took to twitter to let Sony know just how they felt.

Using the tags "#PS4NoDRM", "#PS4UsedGames" and "#XboxOneNoDRM" to show their concerns.

Source

What do you think...
Will Sony have DRM like microsoft?
Will this twitter campaign cause them to re-evaluate if they were going to have it?
If you have a twitter account, have you (or will you) tweet using "#PS4NoDRM" to show your support?

I thought Sony denied this back at their PS4 reveal?

This campaign may work, but if the PS4 is being more targetted to less tech-savvy casual gamers, young kids, and not hardcore gamers, DRM may enter the PS4 since many casual gamers, and less tech savvy gamers are un-aware about what DRM is, and just mainly care about the price of the games, and having fun. A lot of casual gamers don't really visit gaming sites, or keep up with gaming news.

Sony once put DRM onto Music CDs which contained rootkits which infected people's computers, so I think Sony may put DRM onto the PS4 if it protects their copyrights.

Old Media like TV, Radio, and Magazines may not talk about DRM problem because they don't want to lose Sony and other Pro-DRM companies as an Advertiser. Old media is probably the most Pro-DRM since their shows, music, and media get ripped, and put on free websites like The Pirate Bay where people can download them for free, and without ads which are their main form of cash in many cases.

They stated that the PS4 would play used games... but they didn't really clarify anything beyond that. They never stated the PS4 would be DRM free. And Shuhei Yoshida (who typically would answer questions openly and easily) was a bit reluctant to answer questions about this. So many people feel that something is up, and people are afraid. They would rather take the chance and flood twitter to show Sony they don't want DRM (or to use any scheme to block used games) and then be wrong later than to let there be a chance that Sony thinks people would be ok with DRM (and blocking used games).

And it's true, Sony used a rootkit on CDs... But they got in a ton of crap for it. (Pretty sure there was at least one lawsuit levelled at them for that.) And people really don't want that at all.

Though in regards to how many people have responded to this? I heard on day one they had over 10,000 tweets. Since then it is only likely to have gone up a significant amount as more people.
More info on the movement

I would hope we'd have the answer we want at E3... I mean I can't imagine Sony would ignore all the tweets and buzz this has generated. 

Though even if their plans are set in stone for E3, that doesn't mean they still will be by the time PS4 launches. And that only gives more time for people to protest, spread the message and get even more people to protest.  And if ultimately all that doesn't work? The plan is: Don't buy a PS4 or xbox one.  Show them that we mean business and won't accept their bullshit drm schemes.

There are also tons of smaller console makers like Ouya, Gamestick, Nvidia Shield, Bluestack's Gamepop, and Steambox which will all launch in 2013, or already launched. Most likely, the smaller consoles will use Online DRM bad news, and make a console which allows offline gameplay, and bans game makers which use online DRM from publishing games for their consoles.

Nintendo's sales are up over 800% in UK's Amazon, and PC is rising quickly with games like Minecraft, Dota 2, League of Legends, Games on Steam, and other PC games are hugely popular in 2013.

Free to play games like Temple Run, and 1-7 dollar games like Minecraft Pocket Edition for Google Android, and Apple iOS Smartphones and tablets are also very popular, and I can see them being even more popular if PS4 and Xbox One has online DRM. 

There are a lot of choices for gaming, so a lot of people can easily be entertained on consoles, and gaming devices which don't have Online DRM.

Demon_Skeith said:
If sony did go through with this, I know Nintendo and the PC world will jump for joy as that is where most people will be driven to.
lol That won't save the Wii U. :p

And I doubt that'll happen.

Back