Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
98ug01.jpg

Today, I’m pleased to be able to announce the immediate availability of Raspberry Pi Zero, made in Wales and priced at just $5. Zero is a full-fledged member of the Raspberry Pi family, featuring:

• A Broadcom BCM2835 application processor
    • 1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1)
  • 512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
  • A micro-SD card slot
  • A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
  • Micro-USB sockets for data and power
  • An unpopulated 40-pin GPIO header
    • Identical pinout to Model A+/B+/2B
  • An unpopulated composite video header
  • Our smallest ever form factor, at 65mm x 30mm x 5mm
Raspberry Pi Zero runs Raspbian and all your favourite applications, including Scratch, Minecraft and Sonic Pi.

Read More

It's crazy that this mini PC with so many features for a $5 PC just cost $5 when something more basic like a smartphone charger cost $10 or more.

For $5 you sure get a lot of features like 512MBs of RAM, 1GHz CPU, and Mini-HDMI. This computer looks good for using to make a basic computer for running a clock, or calculator program. It is also impressive that this PC can run 1080P video at 60 frames per second. I wonder if this PC is fast enough to play emulators, and HD video files.

And yet I doubt that will have any affect on the highly priced PCs currently on the market.

There maybe slightly fewer people who buy a highly priced PC to do simple tasks like run a picture and video slideshow, and play Super Nintendo and Gameboy Emulators on a PC monitor. They can use this $5 PC to do tasks like run a slideshow, play older emulators, or listen to music files on a TV with speakers.

This PC will most likely be used in poor elementary and high schools without a lot of money for better computers to teach kids easier programming languages like Python, JavaScript, and Scratch to make simple games, animations and programs .

Last edited:
Sounds really good, hopefully soon we will have really cheap and powerful PCs, I might even get this 5$ PC to try it out :grin:

Sounds really good, hopefully soon we will have really cheap and powerful PCs, I might even get this 5$ PC to try it out :grin:

I think, someday, we have cheap, and powerful PCs which are fast enough for playing most PC games.

I may get this $5 PC for connecting to my TV or monitor to play video files, and older emulators and PC games like Quake and Doom since it is fast enough to play HD 1080P videos at 60 frames per second which is pretty fast.

Back