froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Amazon is getting ready, yet again, to release a set-top box—at least according to sources speaking to Recode. The Android-powered box would deliver Amazon's body of video content, both licensed and produced, and possibly also be a vector for apps on TV.

The company has been rumored to be working on a set-top box for close to a year. Bloomberg Businessweek reported in April that the same division that works on Amazon's Kindles was putting together a Roku- or Apple TV-like product for content delivery. The Wall Street Journal reported the same rumor in October, stating that Amazon was set to release the box for the holidays. However, Christmas came and went with no Amazon box.

Read More

I bet it would be a settop box with a Google Android console built-in.

Don't they already have a plugin for tvs? Or am I thinking of Hulu?

I think Hulu and Amazon both have a plug-in for TV, or you can use a web browser on a TV to watch Amazon, and Hulu shows. I think this box is for less tech savvy TV users who just want to watch Amazon shows and movies without installing a plug-in, buying a new TV, or buying another settop box like Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast.

That's it? That does seem pretty simple, maybe even too simple. The way of the future I guess, I like it though, no bulky box to worry about. 

I think you need a Google Android phone, tablet, or a Windows or Apple device with the Chrome web browser installed to use Chromecast. The Chromecast also does not come with a remote like the Roku, Apple TV, and other TV boxes because you need to use a Smartphone, Tablet, or PC with the Chrome web browser as the remote.

Amazon Kindle Fire owners are not able to use Chromecast, so this Amazon Streaming box and game console is a better choice for people who own a Kindle Fire, and also own a lot of Android Apps bought from the Amazon Android Marketplace. I bet this Amazon box would come with a remote, or controller.

Back