Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Whelp, if you have any Wii U and 3DS games that need online...

star trek GIF

I don't have many online games for the Wii U other than Mario Kart and Smash, and I have both of those on Switch.

It always sucks whenever a company removes online service for older systems. But, people have had plenty of time to upgrade to the switch.

I will Pretendo I didn't see it. FOMO will not stop me from enjoying retro games that I will return to for years to come.

This was the major reason I held on to my games and consoles from years ago when my brothers tossed theirs because it was "old."

Meanwhile I have been seeing and hearing about how retro gaming is not only popular, but likely to save the gaming industry. When we moved up here my husband was browsing a thrift store for tools when he noticed a lack of crt tvs in them and he when he mentioned it to a cashier he was told that those old tvs sell quick because gamers prefer playing on those tvs for retro gaming.. we havent gotten rid of ours, because we are going to turn one into a gaming cabinet that will play just about every system possible as long as there is an emulator for it..

But it does suck when companies do this, and this is all the more reason why decentralized publicly-owned servers would probably be better.. something like a Mastodon instance but for gaming.. this way those who still enjoy the old games can do so regardless of system.. I think something like this would have more longevity than those owned by companies..

I'm not sure if something like this exists already as I haven't been up to speed in gaming or tech lately.. but I do see that nowadays lots of other industries are looking toward more publicly owned options moreso than they were before.

We still have a Nintendo 3DS but we rarely play it now so this would not affect us. For those who were still playing games that needed online on either the 3DS or the Wii U, that is going to suck but I guess it makes sense as to why they did it.

But it does suck when companies do this, and this is all the more reason why decentralized publicly-owned servers would probably be better.. something like a Mastodon instance but for gaming.. this way those who still enjoy the old games can do so regardless of system.. I think something like this would have more longevity than those owned by companies..

I'm not sure if something like this exists already as I haven't been up to speed in gaming or tech lately.. but I do see that nowadays lots of other industries are looking toward more publicly owned options moreso than they were before.
That sounds good on paper, but sounds like a PITA to configure the back end.

Back