Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Though Sony has steadfastly refused on comment on potential price cuts to its PlayStation 3, analyst Mike Hickey of Janco Partners believes the company may have no choice but to discount the console -- possibly as early as April.

This week, during its Destination PlayStation event, Sony is briefing its retail partners; citing "increased speculation" by Janco contacts, Hickey believes an announcement of a price adjustment could come within days.

"If Sony does not cut the price of their console, we expect the continuation of languishing PS3 hardware sales and the potential for publishers to accelerate their reallocation of resources away from the PS3 console," Hickey warns. "We believe the market is expecting a PS3 price cut in April or by June at the latest."

The analyst believes a $100 price cut -- which would bring the cheaper 80GB PlayStation 3 model down to $300 -- could "effectively restart unit velocity at retail."

However, Sony is already said to lose money on a per-unit basis with the system, and if it cuts the system's price at retail it will likely attempt to shave excess fat off its its own production expenditures.

To that end, Hickey claims to be "hearing continued speculation that Sony is working on a non-Blu-ray PS3 console."

Such a scenario seems incredibly unlikely, as removing Blu-ray functionality would also break compatibility with the PS3's entire existing game library, all of which is published on Blu-ray Disc. Removing only the Blu-ray movie-playing software would not likely save any significant amount of money.

source

Will this be the end of sony?

It will be the end if they don't make a smart move. But I know that they are continuing PS3 games for awhile. Sony needs to make something that will surpass Nintendo. Maybe even their own Wii! $200, same functions, better games... But I know they won't do that.

I think sony should make a cheaper PS3 to compete with the Xbox 360 arcade.

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ February 28, 2009 09:05 pm) I think Sony should make a cheaper PS3 to compete with the Xbox 360 Arcade.
The Arcade is pretty bad... and it's $170... that's gonna be hard to compete with...

QUOTE (Narutohero @ March 01, 2009 02:10 pm) QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ February 28, 2009 09:05 pm) I think Sony should make a cheaper PS3 to compete with the Xbox 360 Arcade.
The Arcade is pretty bad... and it's $170... that's gonna be hard to compete with...
I agree the Arcade lack of a Hard Drive makes it bad, but if you can find a Second hand 20GB Hard drive for it on EBay. It be a better deal.

I heard you can install your own Hard Drives for the Sony PS3 without voiding the warranty, so maybe sony can sell PS3 without the Hard drive and expect people to buy their own hard drives or use their old hard drives from their PC to install to a Cheaper PS3.

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ March 02, 2009 10:56 pm) QUOTE (Narutohero @ March 01, 2009 02:10 pm) QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ February 28, 2009 09:05 pm) I think Sony should make a cheaper PS3 to compete with the Xbox 360 Arcade.
I agree the Arcade lack of a Hard Drive makes it bad, but if you can find a Second hand 20GB Hard drive for it on eBay. It be a better deal.

I heard you can install your own Hard Drives for the Sony PS3 without voiding the warranty, so maybe Sony can sell PS3 without the Hard drive and expect people to buy their own hard drives or use their old hard drives from their PC to install to a Cheaper PS3.
You can install a hard drive. But it's kinda annoying, but if you want a PS3 badly, that would be a good idea.

Back