Other (Rumor) Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 remaster

Zoey

Full GL Member
Credits
There have been some changing in the job listings and descriptions on the Blizzards website, specifically for the Senior Software Engineer.

Here is what it says on their website:

Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

Source: Senior Software Engineer, Server - Engineering & Technology

This has sparked up many rumors about possible Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 remasters. All of the news sites are now speculating about it and you can imagine that we, the fans of those games are happily joining in!

So what's your opinion on this? Do you think that it is just a crazy rumor or do you think that it is a possibility? Will Blizzard truly try to remake two of the most iconic games they've ever made?

Well, they already have the assets, or most of them, for Warcraft III, but I'll echo what I typed in the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition thread:
The trouble with remasters is that even the smallest change, from graphical to underlying engine, can alter the game-play. And the game-play is essential to the point of a remastered edition of a product.

It's one of the reasons why Blizzard is hesitant to remaster Diablo II, and why they're so worried about their Starcraft: Brood War remaster. I also think it's why they're so hesitant to remaster Warcraft III, despite having the assets.

If any changes in the Definitive Edition alter the game-play, this remaster will be DOA.
I think there was an interview with someone from Blizzard that said they wouldn't remaster the Diablo II assets because the models themselves are low-poly, ugly, and broken (such as nonsensical arm animations).

Great for low-resolution sprite sheets and monitors, but little else.

I'm rooting for Warcraft III. I played the game before and I got addicted to it. Even when the Frozen Throne was released I was still playing WCIII. I don't know, there's just something about the game that makes it so amazing. Even with those cute graphics, for me they feel so real. And the game is also a lore for WoW which I play also. The storyline is so immersing that you get hooked so easily.

I can't wait for the WCIII Remaster. I hope they improve the graphics and add the terrains.

I don't have high hopes for a Diablo 2 remaster based on the job they did with D3. In the topic of remastering games from the early 2000s, we just saw remasters of Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology, and Rise of Nations. You know what I saw? The same games, added a bit of 3D graphics, added a pinch of gameplay features, then charged full price. It's all about getting money from old school fans and they will do absolutely the most minimal thing to these remasters. Just enough for them to "justify" full price.

I'm rooting for Warcraft III. I played the game before and I got addicted to it. Even when the Frozen Throne was released I was still playing WCIII. I don't know, there's just something about the game that makes it so amazing. Even with those cute graphics, for me they feel so real. And the game is also a lore for WoW which I play also. The storyline is so immersing that you get hooked so easily.

I can't wait for the WCIII Remaster. I hope they improve the graphics and add the terrains.
I thought Frozen Throne added a ton of "heroes" in their skirmish games to the point where you couldn't appreciate the specific skills they had. In WC3 you had only 3 heroes per race, but in FT you can "hire" heroes in shops and they all had different skills for different reasons. That's why fans got Dota, to utilize the multitude of heroes in their arsenal. I don't even remember any gameplay changes other than that on Frozen Throne. All I remember was playing the campaign and that was it.

I'm really interested in seeing a Diablo 2 remaster, simply because it was my favorite Diablo in the series. I can't really put it into words, and don't know whether nostalgia is at work or not, but I preferred it so much more over Diablo 3.

Also, wouldn't this mean that there may also potentially be a StarCraft remaster as well? Can't help but notice that we all just glossed over that. That would be pretty great since I've never played the original StarCraft, but rather started with the second one. Maybe I'll wait until we get more info before I jump into the old one too early.

I thought Frozen Throne added a ton of "heroes" in their skirmish games to the point where you couldn't appreciate the specific skills they had. In WC3 you had only 3 heroes per race, but in FT you can "hire" heroes in shops and they all had different skills for different reasons. That's why fans got Dota, to utilize the multitude of heroes in their arsenal. I don't even remember any gameplay changes other than that on Frozen Throne. All I remember was playing the campaign and that was it.
Yes you are right about the heroes. But that's just logical. I mean, you can't expect a game to have a new expansion and stay the same right? Besides it's always good to have hero options. And yes, that's where a FAN made dota. The dedication is just, flattering. Now look what he accomplished, just by making a map which he got the idea by playing a WCIII based game.

Yes you are right about the heroes. But that's just logical. I mean, you can't expect a game to have a new expansion and stay the same right? Besides it's always good to have hero options. And yes, that's where a FAN made dota. The dedication is just, flattering. Now look what he accomplished, just by making a map which he got the idea by playing a WCIII based game.
Didn't he go on to start League of Legends or something? Guinsoo? And yes, new heroes are great, but they added like 50 of them and there's no way, unless you played daily and picked a different set of heroes each time, can you appreciate their skills and their roles in the team.

I don't have high hopes for a Diablo 2 remaster based on the job they did with D3. In the topic of remastering games from the early 2000s, we just saw remasters of Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology, and Rise of Nations. You know what I saw? The same games, added a bit of 3D graphics, added a pinch of gameplay features, then charged full price. It's all about getting money from old school fans and they will do absolutely the most minimal thing to these remasters. Just enough for them to "justify" full price.
While it can seen as cashing in on older, more successful games, remasters are also typically done by the fans of said games, or are targeted to the gamer generation that grew up.

Gamers who grew up in the 90's and 00's want to replay their favourite games on newer systems. This generation, of which I and I assume many others here belong to, is the "golden generation", courtesy of the games and their graphics they played growing up, compared to earlier decades' games, which make remasters both desirable and possible for this demographic.

While it can seen as cashing in on older, more successful games, remasters are also typically done by the fans of said games, or are targeted to the gamer generation that grew up.

Gamers who grew up in the 90's and 00's want to replay their favourite games on newer systems. This generation, of which I and I assume many others here belong to, is the "golden generation", courtesy of the games and their graphics they played growing up, compared to earlier decades' games, which make remasters both desirable and possible for this demographic.
There's a difference with fans recreating Morrowind or Oblivion with Skyrim's engine, modding it out of sheer passion and having to give it to the public for free, and remastering games like Age of Mythology, adding some small things, then selling it for $15 for a profit. Yes, I'm still bitter I got that stupid game for full price, and I hate companies taking advantage of "nostalgia" for selling a subpar remaster for easy profit.

Didn't he go on to start League of Legends or something? Guinsoo? And yes, new heroes are great, but they added like 50 of them and there's no way, unless you played daily and picked a different set of heroes each time, can you appreciate their skills and their roles in the team.
I have actually heard about that too. But I'm not sure if it's him. I just know that he has some friends with him who helped him developed the game. Then I guess they had some complication of ideas so the others decided to make HoN (Heroes of Newerth). Then he pursued on developing Dota and somehow Valve has seen some potential on the game, hired him as a Dev and poof, there came Dota 2.

I have actually heard about that too. But I'm not sure if it's him. I just know that he has some friends with him who helped him developed the game. Then I guess they had some complication of ideas so the others decided to make HoN (Heroes of Newerth). Then he pursued on developing Dota and somehow Valve has seen some potential on the game, hired him as a Dev and poof, there came Dota 2.
Pretty sure you're referring to Ice Frog, the current developer for Dota 2 and the one who was creating updates for Dota 1 since 2006 or so. The first creators and developers of Dota went on to create other games (which became competition) but yeah, Ice Frog stuck with it and got the Valve deal which would probably mean he's filthy rich now.

Back