Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
CNET reported on Friday that Samsung is halting production of new Blu-ray Disc players for the United States market. A Samsung representative told the website, "Samsung will no longer introduce new Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray player models in the US market."

Samsung launched a new 4K-enabled player in 2017, but did not introduce any new models in 2018. According to a report from Forbes, the company was developing a new model for release in 2019 but the plan has been canceled.

The United States-based DVD and Blu-ray player manufacturer OPPO Digital similarly announced last April that it will "gradually stop manufacturing new products," but it will continue to support existing products.

Video streaming service revenue surpassed sales of DVD and Blu-ray Discs in the United States for the first time in 2016. The trend of increased streaming revenue and a decline in home media sales has continued through 2018.

I think more people these days are buying non-Samsung Blu-Ray players made by Vizio, Panasonic, LG, and Sony. A lot of people also buy cheaper Blu-Ray players made by lesser known brands like Toshiba, Sanyo, and Magnovox.

Some desktop computers, and Game consoles like the Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 also has Blu-Ray movie playback, so fewer people have the need for a standalone Blu-Ray player.

A lot of people share, rent, buy and sell used DVD and Blu-Ray movies and TV shows, so the revenue from new Blu-Ray sales will be lower after more buyers share, rent, sell and buy used copies of DVD and Blu-Ray movies.

I think more people these days are buying non-Samsung Blu-Ray players made by Vizio, Panasonic, LG, and Sony. A lot of people also buy cheaper Blu-Ray players made by lesser known brands like Toshiba, Sanyo, and Magnovox.

Some desktop computers, and Game consoles like the Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 also has Blu-Ray movie playback, so fewer people have the need for a standalone Blu-Ray player.

A lot of people share, rent, buy and sell used DVD and Blu-Ray movies and TV shows, so the revenue from new Blu-Ray sales will be lower after more buyers share, rent, sell and buy used copies of DVD and Blu-Ray movies.

I have an LG that works decent enough. Plus I rather have a separate one since I hate to wear out my disc loader on my PS4 by switching up discs often.

I have an LG that works decent enough. Plus I rather have a separate one since I hate to wear out my disc loader on my PS4 by switching up discs often.

I think many Blu-ray players including some of the cheaper brands like Sanyo now work decent enough for Bllu-ray playback if you just need a player to play movies, and don't care about features like 3D.

I agree that I rather have my consoles and Blu-Ray player separated since I don't wear out my console's disc drive and other parts. A Blu-Ray player also uses less electricity, and make less noise than a game console because Blu-Ray player does not have fast spinning fans which may make more noise than a game console with a large fan to cool the CPU, and video chip inside the console.

Back