Samsung Galaxy S3 Explodes In Boy’s Bed

froggyboy604

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
28,940
2007
771
Awards
20
Credits
12,418
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
q8UVivq.jpg


Exploding smartphones are nothing new, and such instances have caused misery, pain and a whole lot of grief in the past. The Samsung Galaxy S3, while a great phone when it was first released, was acknowledged by Samsung to have heat-related issues, having exploded in a Thai bank before. This time around, it was a Galaxy S3 which was left to charge overnight in Kajaani, Finland, where it then exploded.

Apparently, the owner of the smartphone happened to be sleeping on the same bed when the explosion occurred, resulting in a gaping hole right from the sheets all the way down to the mattress. Thankfully, the boy did not place the Galaxy S3 on his chest, otherwise who knows what might have happened then? It was left to charge overnight when the Galaxy S3 exploded and ended up as a total loss

Read More

It was a good thing that he was not using his phone when it exploded, and his room did not totally caught on fire.
 
Clearly the phone was over charged. Not a wise idea to leave it plugged in for so long.

Most phones automatically stop charging when the battery is at 100%. A lot of demo units of smartphones, tablets, and laptops are always plugged into its charger at Electronics store. But, the over-charging circuit may of failed after using it for many years since the Samsung Galaxy S3 is a 4 year old phone now that the Galaxy S7 is released.

I think letting the phone charge on his bed may of caused his battery to overheat, and explode because the heat can't escape as easily when it is on top of his mattress.

He may have somehow bent his battery while using his smartphone. When you bend smartphone batteries, they can explode.

There is also a possibility there was a huge power surge, or the phone short-circuited causing it to explode.
 
Good Lord! That's a pretty big hole! But who leaves their phone on the bed while charging anyways? He should have placed it on a nightstand next to the bed.

Maybe he was using his phone in bed, and his battery charge was low, so he decided to charge it in bed while using it in bed.
 
Then it would have exploded in his hands he injured him...

He may of been using the bed as a stand/table while he lay on his front side or on the right or left side of his body to use his phone. You don't need to hold a phone to use it in bed especially when you are using the phone to watch a video, or read a long article which does not require holding a phone.

He may also have fallen asleep, and accidentally left the phone on the bed while he slept because he fell asleep while watching a video.
 
I don't think this was due to over charging.. Samsung phones do have the shutoff built into their batteries..

It is typically the tertiary brands you'd find sold in drug stores like Walgreen's or Rite Aid or the Chinese knock-offs that won't have the feature because of their cheap build quality, but that won't be the case with Samsung.. not even on their cheaper models..

I think the issue here is the processor or where the device was kept before being used.

I only say this because I have only ever owned Samsung Android phones, and the devices do run hot.. very hot if you are using it in direct sunlight, or if you had it in your pocket or if you fell asleep with it in your hand and woke up the next day with it tangled in your bed covers..

These are all things that can cause the device to run very hot.. on the last example, my device was about 140F and i had to take my case off and dismantle the phone and leave it sitting in front of my A/C for it to cool down. If you did this while the phone is charging then this can happen.. because the device does get very hot when it is charging.

Accidents like that cut my battery life in half and I had to buy a new one because it was swollen..
 
Happened to me once with a usb stick. On a computer and started to smell something burning and I was like WTF, spent two minutes before it became worse. I found out what it was! I had finished with the usb stick that was plugged into the socket and damn I burnt myself. Problem I had that it's so hot that I couldn't take it out of the computer and so I had to turn off the computer and waited for it to cool off. Afterwards the plastic was completely burnt and not far off from being on fire.

I did slept with my phone charging under me. I was browsing around and then I fell asleep and forgot till early morning. Nothing to report really
 
My mom JUST called me because her Note 4 just died.. she said she was transferring stuff from her sd card when her phone just died while she was sitting with it in her chair.

I told her to dismantle the phone completely and leave it sitting in front of a fan and told her to check her sd card to ensure it still works and to check the battery for any swelling..

So now she is going to use her S7 as a back up..
 
Yeah thats not good, I hope she's ok.

But yeah if you have as many old phones like I do, then you should make sure that the battery isn't still in the phone when you put it away..

I learned that lesson the hard way when my husband and I were going through our old phones and he noticed that the batteries in my old phones were swollen.

Worse still was the one that exploded in my old Sprint phone and melted the plastic on the outside and a lot of stuff ended up being stuck together..

I forget the name, but it was a silver clamshell flip phone that had the caller id display on the front..
 
My mom JUST called me because her Note 4 just died.. she said she was transferring stuff from her sd card when her phone just died while she was sitting with it in her chair.

I told her to dismantle the phone completely and leave it sitting in front of a fan and told her to check her sd card to ensure it still works and to check the battery for any swelling..

So now she is going to use her S7 as a back up..

ouch... I've noticed my phone (note 4) gets warm quickly if I do anything but basic tasks or more than one thing.
 
Did you ever debloat like I showed you how on my forum?

Also I stopped using Clean Master.. I use the one from Avast instead..

It doesn't slow my phone nearly as much as CM did and not only is it faster but I don't have to worry about the privacy issues either..

If the Chinese aren't even using it then that is saying something..

I'll bet my mom had 9 launchers up there like she did before.. I use Apex Launcher Pro and nothing else..
 
Did you ever debloat like I showed you how on my forum?

Also I stopped using Clean Master.. I use the one from Avast instead..

It doesn't slow my phone nearly as much as CM did and not only is it faster but I don't have to worry about the privacy issues either..

If the Chinese aren't even using it then that is saying something..

I'll bet my mom had 9 launchers up there like she did before.. I use Apex Launcher Pro and nothing else..

I did debloat but didn't know you switched to avast.
 
Darn. I am taking notes here.

1. Never sleep with my mobile very near of or on top of me.

2. Never leave my phone overcharging for hours.

That's quite scary.

Thankfully, the boy did not place the Galaxy S3 on his chest[▪▪▪]
Thanks for the imagery.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top