froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
According to the report, 30-year old Sarah Crockett was in a restaurant in the middle of the day with the phone in her hand when the phone ballooned up and started to smoke, which was caught on CCTV (see screenshot above). “It suddenly just expanded in my hand and got really, really hot. I dropped it on the table. Within a few seconds there was smoke everywhere and I jumped out of the way. The whole thing was just barbecued.”

Crockett claims that her phone was not charging at the time of the incident, which Samsung seemed surprised to hear.

Read More

I imagine the smell of the smoke from the woman's phone smelled very bad.

Why hasn't a recall been done on this phone yet?

An isolated incident is not enough to do a recall.

Even if they find an issue, I doubt they would admit it unless they had to. (it's also possible that they already knew it was an issue and are just keeping quiet until they have to do something about it)

I think the government has not forced Samsung to do a recall yet, and Samsung maybe willing to take a gamble that their other Galaxy S7 will not explode.

But, I think it would be a good idea for users of the Galaxy S7 to use another smartphone instead of risking their life by using a Samsung Galaxy S7.

A phone blowing up while it is just being held, and not charging does not sound safe to use. If the woman was talking on the phone, her ear or face would be burned or she may of gone blind or deaf from the explosion.

The part of the story where the woman had to drop her phone, and quickly jump out of the way to avoid injury also sounds like a very dangerous situation.

An isolated incident is not enough to do a recall.

Even if they find an issue, I doubt they would admit it unless they had to. (it's also possible that they already knew it was an issue and are just keeping quiet until they have to do something about it)

Well they did issue a recall, after several incidents.

Well they did issue a recall, after several incidents.

I think there were companies which offer recalls on defective products even if there are no incidents to be on the safe side, and avoid ruining their reputation, and losing a lot of money from future lawsuits.

Samsung are going to be in a lot of trouble. This isn't the only instance of this happening. A cyclist had one blow up in his pocket while cycling :eek:

A smartphone blowing up while riding a bike is very dangerous since a cyclist does not have much protection from cars. If the cyclist fell down during the explosion, he could of been run over by another cyclists, motorcycle, or car which is following him, or on the side of him if he fell to the middle of the road.

It would be a good idea to put a smartphone into a metal box which is mounted on a bike which is away from the rider's body.

Back