Should I buy a desktop?

This topic is making me want to build a computer now.
Do ittttttttt. I went in with practically zero knowledge about hardware. After hours of research, 6 hours of building and several more for software and drivers, I was able to step back and say, "Hey, I built this." It's a great learning experience and made me feel like I actually accomplished something. Not to mention that it's a geek rite of passage!

EDIT: This is assuming, based on your posts, that you haven't already built one before.

Didn't he say he's a computer technichian or something..?

Do ittttttttt. I went in with practically zero knowledge about hardware. After hours of research, 6 hours of building and several more for software and drivers, I was able to step back and say, "Hey, I built this." It's a great learning experience and made me feel like I actually accomplished something. Not to mention that it's a geek rite of passage!

EDIT: This is assuming, based on your posts, that you haven't already built one before.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd build a laptop myself but I suck. So right now for my laptop I'm going to drop on down to my friendly neighbourhood computer store that is pretty reasonable and let them help me out because I'm retarded. Not stupid (I know what the bits are and stuff), just... inexperienced and I will probably break something.
Computer software and hardware are entirely different fields of study. Sounds like he deals more with the software aspects.[/font]

Still no comments on the specs of the one I listed.. It's a normal tower btw.
It'll work fine. Personally I would look for a slightly better GPU, and the power supply is a bit wanting if you ever decide to upgrade.

If you plan on going for high-end gaming, it might be just a bit lacking. But for average-graphics / older games, it'll be fine.

I've also heard that the Ivy Bridge CPUs tend to have overheating issues, so make sure you give your tower ample air flow.

Last edited by a moderator:

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd build a laptop myself but I suck. So right now for my laptop I'm going to drop on down to my friendly neighbourhood computer store that is pretty reasonable and let them help me out because I'm retarded. Not stupid (I know what the bits are and stuff), just... inexperienced and I will probably break something.
Computer software and hardware are entirely different fields of study. Sounds like he deals more with the software aspects.[/font]

Yeah I'm more software. I know the anatomy of a computer but when it comes to knowing which brands to go for and which to avoid, that's the part that gets me. I'm on the hunt for a laptop at the moment myself as the desktop already exists, but one day, I'll build my own as a project. You have inspired me, oh great Zexis. Have some complimentary flowers. *throws flowers*

For my laptop I'm just buying one that's built (Kirby_Z said here it's harder to build a laptop due to size constraints and everything and less flexibility) but I might be able to make the people switch a few parts around if I sweet talk them.

Yeah I'm more software. I know the anatomy of a computer but when it comes to knowing which brands to go for and which to avoid, that's the part that gets me. I'm on the hunt for a laptop at the moment myself as the desktop already exists, but one day, I'll build my own as a project. You have inspired me, oh great Zexis. Have some complimentary flowers. *throws flowers*

For my laptop I'm just buying one that's built (Kirby_Z said here it's harder to build a laptop due to size constraints and everything and less flexibility) but I might be able to make the people switch a few parts around if I sweet talk them.

Same, I am more on the software side (Or at least, if using Cheat Engine, playing DoTA2 all day long, and tinkering with Steam workshop is knowing about software...).
So, here's a guide on how to build computers if anyone is interested:
http://bit.ly/vaLMTJ

-Oh, how I love trolling.

Same, I am more on the software side (Or at least, if using Cheat Engine, playing DoTA2 all day long, and tinkering with Steam workshop is knowing about software...).

*clicks link to make sure it's nothing bad*

*it's nothing bad*

Still no comments on the specs of the one I listed.. It's a normal tower btw.
It'll work fine. Personally I would look for a slightly better GPU, and the power supply is a bit wanting if you ever decide to upgrade.

If you plan on going for high-end gaming, it might be just a bit lacking. But for average-graphics / older games, it'll be fine.

I've also heard that the Ivy Bridge CPUs tend to have overheating issues, so make sure you give your tower ample air flow.
Over here it's pretty much the best you can get for that amount of unless you build I it yourself.

*clicks link to make sure it's nothing bad*

*it's nothing bad*

I FOOLED YOU!! HAHAHAHAHA
biggrin.gif

No more quote towers .-.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a HP with these specs cabinet
Form Factor Micro tower
Power 460 W
Exposed 5.25 "Expansion slots (total / free) 2/1
Hidden 3.5 "expansion slots (total / free) 2/1
XD Memory Card Reader, SD / SDHC, MMC, Memory Stick, MS Pro
Processor
Chipset H67
Processor Model Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz 8 MB
Processor capacity (total / available) 1 x / 0 x
Memory
Memory (included / maximum) 6 GB / 16 GB
Memory capacity (total / free) 4 pcs / 2
Memory Type DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz
Hard Drive
Hard Drive 1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA, Mechanical
Optical Device: DVD ± RW (write / read)
Internal connections
PCI Express x16 slots (total / available) 1 x / 0 x
PCI Express x1 slots (total / available) 3 pieces
external connections
USB 2.0 connection 8 pieces
USB 3.0 connectivity 2
RJ-45 connector 1 x
DVI-I connector 1 x
Display Port connector 1 x
HDMI, 1 x
Network
Wireless Protocols IEEE 802.11b / g, IEEE 802.11n
Thread standard Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbit / s
Graphics and sound
Video included Yes
Cards AMD / ATi Radeon HD 7570
Memory Size 2048 MB dedicated
Integrated sound card Yes
Audio Channels 7.1
operating System
Operating systems including Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Operating Nordic Languages ​​(sv / en / fi / dk / one)
Keyboard
Keyboard included Yes
Wireless Yes
Layout Nordic Languages ​​(sv / en / fi / dk)
General Information
Dimensions (W x H x D) 412 mm x 415 mm x 175 mm
Weight 12 kg
1 year, Returning Service

Seems pretty good to me...

Form Factor Micro tower
Power 460 W
Processor
Chipset H67
Memory
Hard Drive
Internal connections
external connections
USB 3.0 connectivity 2
RJ-45 connector 1 x
DVI-I connector 1 x
HDMI, 1 x
Network
Graphics and sound
Video included Yes
Audio Channels 7.1
operating System
Keyboard
Keyboard included Yes
Wireless Yes
General Information
Weight 12 kg

A core i7 PC with 6 GB RAM, not bad, later upping the RAM at least to 10 and a good VC with a decent GPU and you are all set for gaming.

Form Factor Micro tower
Power 460 W
Processor
Chipset H67
Memory
Hard Drive
Internal connections
external connections
USB 3.0 connectivity 2
RJ-45 connector 1 x
DVI-I connector 1 x
HDMI, 1 x
Network
Graphics and sound
Video included Yes
Audio Channels 7.1
operating System
Keyboard
Keyboard included Yes
Wireless Yes
General Information
Weight 12 kg

A core i7 PC with 6 GB RAM, not bad, later upping the RAM at least to 10 and a good VC with a decent GPU and you are all set for gaming.
Read a review of the graphics card, and it can run pretty new games at max with over 40 fps...

Form Factor Micro tower
Power 460 W
Processor
Chipset H67
Memory
Hard Drive
Internal connections
external connections
USB 3.0 connectivity 2
RJ-45 connector 1 x
DVI-I connector 1 x
HDMI, 1 x
Network
Graphics and sound
Video included Yes
Audio Channels 7.1
operating System
Keyboard
Keyboard included Yes
Wireless Yes
General Information
Weight 12 kg

Read a review of the graphics card, and it can run pretty new games at max with over 40 fps...
Not bad, but for future games that FPS will drop on max settings. Also I didn't say to buy it now. You will still have some fun with that VC and RAM but thanks to the powerful CPU you can later upgrade it and enjoy even more gaming.

Form Factor Micro tower
Power 460 W
Processor
Chipset H67
Memory
Hard Drive
Internal connections
external connections
USB 3.0 connectivity 2
RJ-45 connector 1 x
DVI-I connector 1 x
HDMI, 1 x
Network
Graphics and sound
Video included Yes
Audio Channels 7.1
operating System
Keyboard
Keyboard included Yes
Wireless Yes
General Information
Weight 12 kg

Not bad, but for future games that FPS will drop on max settings. Also I didn't say to buy it now. You will still have some fun with that VC and RAM but thanks to the powerful CPU you can later upgrade it and enjoy even more gaming.
I'm not going to play the heaviest games anways, so I think I should be fine... Now, I need money..

Back