Should I buy the PS4 or wait for the PS5 or 6....

No one could possibly answer this as we don't know how long the PS4 will be, what games it will have or if there will even be a PS5.

Just keep a watch on it and see if there is any games you want to get for it.

If there are enough games you want to play on the PS4 which make the PS4 worth the $399.99 price then the PS4 may be worth it.

But, maybe waiting untill the PS4 drops in price like the Vita would be a better time to buy, and there would be more games out when the price drops to $299.99 to 349.99.

I think Sony will most likely extend the life of the PS4 for many years longer than the PS3, so it would take very long for the PS5 to come out unless the PS4 does not have a lot of buyers after all the people who pre-ordered and bought the PS4 at launch got a PS4, and the less hardcore gamers are not as into PS4, and keep playing their PS3, other consoles, and PC for years after the PS4 has launch because other consoles and PC are good enough to keep them entertained sort of like the Wii U which is having fewer people buying it now because the less dedicated gamers who bought the Wii may feel it is good enough for their gaming entertainment needs.

The PS4 will very likely last until at least 2020 (approximately 7 years from now) before we see signs of the PS5 and very likely support for PS4 will go until 2023 (since Sony seems to like a 10 year life cycle on their consoles... they did it for PS2, are in the process of it on PS3 and likely will for PS4).  That's a fairly long time to wait. So you might want to pick the PS4 up. 

I think that is like counting chickens before they're born.

Yes. Be smart and don't throw your money on a whim. I agree for things like this it is wise to wait, even for some years, if you are unsure spending on the system will be worth it, however if you already know you want the console and it will be worth your time, effort and money then it could be foolish to wait on a non-existent console that might end up not following suit with your logic and having bad games, policies, etc. You can't really know if PS5,PS6 etc will be worth without them being out.Things don't always go the way we intent and unexpected turns may bring down that plan. It is a blind bet more than self-defined pattern.

I strongly suggest you discard waiting until the next generation and instead go by what you have and know right now.
If the PS5 was a failure, would you buy the Playstation 4?  What makes it worth it for you? I am not expecting you to answer these to me, these are more to illustrate the shift of thinking that I think could help better to get a decision on your own whether to wait or skip the console. We cannot say for sure it is worth or not as you will be the one playing and paying for it. Just focus on the console that is a reality instead of comparing the inversion with a future expense that might or not be the case.

Maybe it is better to wait for the Valve Steambox to be release in 2014 since with more competition, the price of the PS4 maybe cheaper than $399, so fewer budget minided gamers are less likely to buy a Steambox if the PS4 is cheaper than the Steambox.

The Steambox may also be a better game console than the PS4 for your gaming hobby since you can also play Steam games on a PC or laptop, and there most likely won't be a monthly fee to play online, and do other activities with your Steam account.

If you want to buy PS 5 right now, just buy a high end gaming PC
When PS 3 came out, a lot of computers were already ahead with technology
The PS you buy now will last for quite some time meanwhile PC is meant for upgrade purposes
I would definitively go with a PC which would cost nearly the same
Buy a 7870HD GPU and you are ready to go
I personally have a 6770HD GPU and it runs every single game on the market
Also, graphics won't be upgrading for quite some time because for the first time the Mohrs law is not true
You won't see a PC performing double the speed of current ones until 2.5 years
Even GPUs are getting pretty awkward.

If you look at it, my 6770 which is a rebranded 5770HD released in 2009 (depending on the brand)
still can open every single game in 1080p

You can buy a 6770 and PS4 only has 1.84 TFLOPS
Look at PS 4 specs: http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/

If you buy a 7870 which is a 2.5TFLOPS you will be greatly satisfied
You can buy one used for as low as 130$ and that makes total sense
Why would anyone buy a PS 4?

Here are the specs of all 7xxx HD series from AMD GPUs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

Also here is a pic of 7870 so you get a better idea (this is larger than MINI PS3 LOL)
http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/HD-7870-cover.jpg

Seriously, better buy a PC GPU

There are games you can't get on PC that you can on PS consoles. Those are the reason to buy a console. It doesn't matter if you have all the teraflops if you don't have the games you want to play. 
Hardware power alone does not make it good. Games are the ultimate determination for getting one console over another or PC. 

And it's worth a reminder that the PS5 is, at best, only entering discussions at Sony HQ. They likely won't even begin serious development on it for another 3 or so years. So there's no telling exactly what the PS5 will or won't have. Or what it can/can't do. It's far too soon for that.

GSquadron said:
If you want to buy PS 5 right now, just buy a high end gaming PC
When PS 3 came out, a lot of computers were already ahead with technology
The PS you buy now will last for quite some time meanwhile PC is meant for upgrade purposes
I would definitively go with a PC which would cost nearly the same
Buy a 7870HD GPU and you are ready to go
I personally have a 6770HD GPU and it runs every single game on the market
Also, graphics won't be upgrading for quite some time because for the first time the Mohrs law is not true
You won't see a PC performing double the speed of current ones until 2.5 years
Even GPUs are getting pretty awkward.

If you look at it, my 6770 which is a rebranded 5770HD released in 2009 (depending on the brand)
still can open every single game in 1080p

You can buy a 6770 and PS4 only has 1.84 TFLOPS
Look at PS 4 specs: http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/

If you buy a 7870 which is a 2.5TFLOPS you will be greatly satisfied
You can buy one used for as low as 130$ and that makes total sense
Why would anyone buy a PS 4?

Here are the specs of all 7xxx HD series from AMD GPUs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

Also here is a pic of 7870 so you get a better idea (this is larger than MINI PS3 LOL)
http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/HD-7870-cover.jpg

Seriously, better buy a PC GPU
I agree PC is great for gaming since the cheaper $100 video cards like the Nvidia Geforce GTX 645-650 can play a lot of great games like Dota 2, Team Fotress, Half life 1-2, Crysis, etc, and many Desktop Tower PC just need a video card upgrade to be good enough for playing newer games, or the video card is good enough already for playing games.

Now that SteamOS was announce by Valve, getting into PC Gaming is more affordable because SteamOS is Free, and it is based on Linux which means it will be faster than Windows 7-8 on most computers, and gamers no longer need to buy the $200 for the Windows Pro installer disc, or need to buy a CD/DVD disc drive to install Windows from Disc, so there would be more money savings for buying a better video card, or SSD.

I heard Steam may soon be working on Half-Life 3 which is one of the most popular Shooter games in the world.

If you want one of them, go ahead and get it now. There is no telling when the next one will come out. I feel like we've been waiting forever on  eh PS4, although I could just be impatient. It all depends on what you want and are you willing to wait. 

Waiting untill latter would be a good idea since being an early game console buyer can be risky like how all the early Xbox 360 buyers bought unreliable Xbox 360 which broke after a few months, or years, and they got stuck with a lot of Xbox 360 games, so they are force to buy another Xbox 360 which will break again, so they can play their games for the 360 with a new Xbox 360 which may also break after a while.

But, people who waited for the Xbox 360 Slim to come out before they bought a 360 had fewer console breaking problems.

There also maybe a slimmer, cheaper, and more reliable version of the PS4 in the future, so it is best to wait.

That would be like asking should I wait for the PS6 when the 5 comes out. It's a never ending cycle. You either want it or you don't.

GracefulAssassin said:
That would be like asking should I wait for the PS6 when the 5 comes out. It's a never ending cycle. You either want it or you don't.
:p As long as there are improvements in each one, its just going to keep happening. 

If you're asking should you wait for PS5 or PS6 then clearly you have little interest in buying a PlayStation in the first place.

GamerPerfection said:
If you're asking should you wait for PS5 or PS6 then clearly you have little interest in buying a PlayStation in the first place.
^^^

This. You are looking at LEAST another 7-8yrs before the PS5 is released. 

I think the PS5 would be release in a shorter amount of time than the PS3 depending on competitors like the Xbox, PC/Steambox, Wii U, etc next console release since I think all the game console makers wait for one console company to release their next console, and they all follow by releasing their console earlier, or after the other console competitor's release. Nintendo or Xbox may release their next console in a 3 or less years if the Xbox One and Wii U both fail to get enough buyers, so the PS5 will follow, and be release during the same year, or year after their competitor.

Although, buying the PS4 when the PS5 comes out would save you a lot of money since the PS4 would cost $99-199 when the PS5 is released, and most of the PS4 games can be bought cheaply in stores, or second hand marketplaces like eBay, and Craigslist.

Back