Should Nintendo take inspiration from Lego (in their marketing/community support)?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I read an interesting article about Lego and how they became relevant again due to clever marketing and involving their fanbase in their decisions:

http://moz.com/blog/seocentrism-what-lego-can-teach-web-marketers

And it made me think... Nintendo could do pretty much the exact same thing and make a fortune. No, not make building blocks like they did in the original Game Boy days:

sml2_nb.png

But the stuff in the article. Working with their fans for things they don't support for personal/moral/business reasons, taking ideas for games from the general public, clearly stating their vision on their website, targeting kids with their advertisements and letting fans do whatever with their IP on sites like Youtube and others.

Okay, they mostly do the latter, and sort of unofficially do the former... but perhaps Lego should be an inspiration for them in general? What do you think?

it is what Capcom used to do when they were good. Ever since they stopped listening to replies on Capcom-Unity they have crapped out and become what I call Crapcum.

It sounds like a very complicated manner. Lego and Nintendo both have a product for a very similar audience. It's a hobby as well as something you can really get into (like with Smash and Pokemon). Like bricks, coding is a building block of games. So there probably is a lot of fans that like to or would like to help overcome problems morally and legally. If this were a case with games, there might actually be more M/EB games. However in some cases like this, the person with the ideas isn't supporting them anymore it's best not to do much about it. I think they just need people to create fangames and everyone will be on it. Not that I want to make a big deal about it. Lego just needs thoughts on sets and a few new elements and call things good. Of course if Nintendo really took custom orders from fans they'd either be making G&Ws or asking for more money.

Back