Should parents join the same websites their children join to also be their online friends?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
What are your views on parents joining the same forums, blogs, social networks, and other sites which their kids use?

to supervise and protect their children? yes.

Same for me, I would feel uncomfortable posting on posts related to parents, sexuality, politics, and dating since there is a good chance my parents may read my posts which may start an uncomfortable conversation with each other in real life.

I think some parents may also not want to be on the same forums as their kids because they may feel uncomfortable interacting with their kids online friends like how some parents may not like hanging out with their kids' friends because their kids' friends are loud, weird, or smelly.

froggyboy604 said:
Same for me, I would feel uncomfortable posting on posts related to parents, sexuality, politics, and dating since there is a good chance my parents may read my posts which may start an uncomfortable conversation with each other in real life.

I think some parents may also not want to be on the same forums as their kids because they may feel uncomfortable interacting with their kids online friends like how some parents may not like hanging out with their kids' friends because their kids' friends are loud, weird, or smelly.
Yeah, same for me here, i wouldn't involve them in anything i'm in.

froggyboy604 said:
What are your views on parents joining the same forums, blogs, social networks, and other sites which their kids use?
If it's something like FaceBook where I have the choice not the accept their friend request, then yeah, >_> (meh, but I'll have to accept it anyway). I don't want to be a member of the same forum that my parents use. Although, I bet they'd never do such a thing. Heck, they aren't even on FaceBook, lol.

But I think parents should check the history of websites their children visited.

My parents wouldn't be able to figure out how to register if they wanted to join.. lol. My parents aren't really interested in forums at all. 

Keeping an eye on what your kids are doing on the internet is important, but joining and reading everything your kid is saying on a forum is a step too far in my opinion

Marc said:
If it's something like FaceBook where I have the choice not the accept their friend request, then yeah, >_> (meh, but I'll have to accept it anyway). I don't want to be a member of the same forum that my parents use. Although, I bet they'd never do such a thing. Heck, they aren't even on FaceBook, lol.

But I think parents should check the history of websites their children visited.
Yes, checking the history of websites is important, but reading all the posts which their kid's post online maybe uncomfortable for kids since kids maybe less likely to rant, debate, write fan fiction, and post artwork onto deviantart if their parents view all their posts, so the internet would be less fun, and kid's might be less creative when they grow up because of being uncomfortable that their parent's read their posts, look at their deviantart, watch their online videos, and listen to their pod casts on iTunes.

It also might send the wrong message to kids that it is okay for the government, school, girlfriend or boyfriend, and boss to read all their posts because their parents read their posts.

If they do, then they shouldn't make themselves known or be overly obvious..

But I think it is a good idea in general.

My mom is an admin on my forum, so that just in case something happens to me or my husband, then she can notifiy my members..

She logs in to the bot account every now and then whenever she needs info regarding how to do things on her phone or apps that I've recommended.

it is much easier to send her a link to the topic that has all of the info in it rather than trying to text it to her or trying to tell her over the phone..

I agree, and many websites also have voice chat, video chat, text chat, and MMORPG which have both voice and text chat, so it would be weird or uncomfortable for some kids to have their parents spy in on what their kids' are chatting about.

I read online that kids' are using Messenger Apps like AIM, YIM, Facebook Messnger, and Skype because their parents are reading their posts on their social networks.

I used to play Neopets and Powerpets with my mother when I was younger. We'd helped each other out. Now if I taught my daughter how to play these games, I'd be her friend so that I can guide her to success on the game.

It is a parent's job to do what's best for their kids and to do whatever it takes to protect them from harm, and if joining the same sites will reduce the likelihood of them showing their ass to a total stranger, like so many of the other idiot teens who do this, and then end up committing suicide because they can't deal with the consequences then so be it. 

Because in the cases of the stupid teens who do this, it is the parent's that are usually blamed, when the only thing they did, was put another stupid teen who thought they knew everything on this planet. It is usually that the same people who condemn the parent for spying, that end up condemning the parent because their teen earned a Darwin Award.

Until the kid/teen has a job, their own house and are paying their own bills, anything and everything they do, is their parent's business as long as they are living under their parent's roof.

Black Angel said:
It is a parent's job to do what's best for their kids and to do whatever it takes to protect them from harm, and if joining the same sites will reduce the likelihood of them showing their ass to a total stranger, like so many of the other idiot teens who do this, and then end up committing suicide because they can't deal with the consequences then so be it. 

Because in the cases of the stupid teens who do this, it is the parent's that are usually blamed, when the only thing they did, was put another stupid teen who thought they knew everything on this planet. It is usually that the same people who condemn the parent for spying, that end up condemning the parent because their teen earned a Darwin Award.

Until the kid/teen has a job, their own house and are paying their own bills, anything and everything they do, is their parent's business as long as they are living under their parent's roof.
even if they do join the same site BA, they could gain different permissions or keep certain talks private. In the end the parents could make things worse.

Black Angel said:

The solution to this is to teach them what they should and should not give away on the internet, and the consequences of their actions. I agree that parents should be monitoring what their kids are doing online, but not to the point of reading everything they say and do, because like DS said, it would be like having your parents with you whenever you hang out with your friends. 

froggyboy604 said:
It would be weird for me, considering I talk and discuss things quite frankly.  I do have family on FB tho, so I tone it down a bit, lol

I don't think it's a good idea. I think the parents should have some kind of understanding of what their children are doing online, but I don't think they need to be best friends on the internet. Hell, I'm not even best friends with my parents outside the internet, I don't imagine most people are.

Demon_Skeith said:

even if they do join the same site BA, they could gain different permissions or keep certain talks private. In the end the parents could make things worse.
That is if and only if they join the site saying that they are Member X's mom, and then start shit up. But the parent could just as easily keep their head down and not draw attention to themselves and there would be no issue unless they get into trouble.

hissae2 said:

The solution to this is to teach them what they should and should not give away on the internet, and the consequences of their actions. I agree that parents should be monitoring what their kids are doing online, but not to the point of reading everything they say and do, because like DS said, it would be like having your parents with you whenever you hang out with your friends. 
First off, if the teen doesnt want the parent's to read about what ever it is they did. Then they really shouldn't be posting it on the net, let alone, be doing it in the first place. That is the best way to prevent this kind of situation.

The irony here, is that if these teens were smarter and more responsible, then the parents would be able to trust them more. So really, it is not the parent's fault, but that of the teen for being so untrustworthy.

That said though, there is still one problem here and that is the fact that teens typically think that they know everything there is to know about anything and so, you can talk until you are blue in the face and it still wont mean anything. I said this much to my 13 year old brother yesterday. He thinks that just because our parents are older, that they were also born yesterday. I told him that the worst thing he could do is lie about doing something wrong for the simple fact that it will only make things worse for himself.

I told him that before he was born, his father had spent 20+ years on the NYPD, and about half of those years a detective. In that time he has put away drug dealers, gang members, rapists, murderers, child abusers, and just about every other kind of criminal you could imagine.

I told him that if the criminals he has put in jail couldn't get away with their crimes, then what makes him think that he can get away with whatever it is he did?

I told him that our mother was a 24/7 single parent to me and our brother when she met his father 18 years ago. So she had 14 years as a single parent and in that time she has already seen and been through the stuff I did and our brother couldn't get away with the same stuff because I did it first. Our brother did his stuff and our parents learned from that too. The same goes with our sister and now that he was born last, our parents have a combined 32 years of experience and so, he wont be able to get away with the same stuff that we did for those reasons.

I told him that if he wants to be seen as mature, he is going to have to prove himself and take responsibility for his actions. I told him that if he does something wrong, he needs to tell the truth and own up to it, and apologize and mean it, and accept the consequences. That is the only way he will be seen as a mature and responsible person. Otherwise if he keeps acting up, he will be treated like a kid.

First off, if the teen doesnt want the parent's to read about what ever it is they did. Then they really shouldn't be posting it on the net, let alone, be doing it in the first place. That is the best way to prevent this kind of situation.
Personally I wouldn't want my parents reading this thread, or any other threads I've posted in on this site, and as far as I'm aware, I really haven't said or done anything I shouldn't have. I do agree that parents should keep an eye on the sites their teens visit, and yes they should look around the forum to see what the kid's been up to, but not every single conversation they have. If they are going to do it, at least do it secretly so that the kid doesn't just stop posting completely because they're uncomfortable with their parents reading every post like I would be. It would just ruin the forum experience for me. 

(I'm 17, btw).

Back