Should schools ban students from using mobile phones while in school?

That's great then as long as it helps because it won't be cool for the kids visiting some out of bound websites while in school.

I don't think a kid should be visiting an out of bounds site any time, whether they're in school or not. But a parent should be allowed to control what a kid can see or not see even when the parent isn't standing right there to monitor what their kid is doing.

I don't think a kid should be visiting an out of bounds site any time, whether they're in school or not. But a parent should be allowed to control what a kid can see or not see even when the parent isn't standing right there to monitor what their kid is doing.

If you spread the control to what they do at home, it can be difficult as some parents don't even care.

I'm fine with them being banned during class (when they're just going to be distracting) - but, I don't think it's reasonable to ban them from school altogether.

I think that ship sailed long ago.

This is how I see it working fine for me.

If you spread the control to what they do at home, it can be difficult as some parents don't even care.

Yeah, there are always going to be some parents that don't care. Especially if the kid does well enough in school then they won't see a problem with it in the first place.

Plus, like I said previously, if there is some kind of problem at the school then the parents will expect to be able to get ahold of their child through the use of that cell phone.

Yeah, there are always going to be some parents that don't care. Especially if the kid does well enough in school then they won't see a problem with it in the first place.

Plus, like I said previously, if there is some kind of problem at the school then the parents will expect to be able to get ahold of their child through the use of that cell phone.

Exactly the point. Once the use of phones doesn't affect their academic performances, the parents won't bother much.

I think finding out the main reason for why each student is always using a phone more often in class can help with preventing a student from distracting themselves from learning in class by using a phone in class. Some kids may use a phone as an escape from their untreated mental health issues like anxiety problems where they need to see a therapist/psychologist to help them better deal with their mental disorder rather than using a smartphone to use social networking apps to distract themselves from their problems.

I think finding out the main reason for why each student is always using a phone more often in class can help with preventing a student from distracting themselves from learning in class by using a phone in class. Some kids may use a phone as an escape from their untreated mental health issues like anxiety problems where they need to see a therapist/psychologist to help them better deal with their mental disorder rather than using a smartphone to use social networking apps to distract themselves from their problems.
I’d be lying if I said there weren’t kids in that situation, but let’s be honest, a large chunk of the kids are usually bullshitting on their phones.

It’s a prime example of “this is why we can’t have nice things”. One kid might have an underlying issue, but the teacher thinks he’s just bullshitting, because every other kid on their phone is browsing social media, or playing games during class.

Back