Should the next handheld Zelda game be 2D or 3D?z

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Well, what should it be?

A 3D style game like Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker? A 2D game like Minish Cap or a A Link Between Worlds?

Something else?

What do you think?

I have a feeling that the next game will be Zelda on the Wii U, so I hope that's in 3D. I also wouldn't mind a Majora's Mask 3D, either.

If it's on the 3DS for some reason, I'm hoping it's 2D top down because 3D kind of sucks on the 3DS... how ironic. If it's on the Wii U though of course I'll want it to be 3D. I'd hope for a Majora's Mask remake because it'll be more successful than Wind Waker, like it was before, but honestly I'd rather have an orignal game set between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time where it shows some kind of origin of Ganondorf and how
Ganon is Demise trying to defeat SS Link's ancestors and how it all started like that.
Also showing the building of Hyrule on land below Skyloft. Just to bring in the remaining pieces of the Time Line.

Alternatively, I would like Zelda game that took place during the war that was spoken of in Ocarina of Time. 'Nuff said.

If it's on the 3DS for some reason, I'm hoping it's 2D top down because 3D kind of sucks on the 3DS... how ironic. If it's on the Wii U though of course I'll want it to be 3D. I'd hope for a Majora's Mask remake because it'll be more successful than Wind Waker, like it was before, but honestly I'd rather have an orignal game set between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time where it shows some kind of origin of Ganondorf and how
Ganon is Demise trying to defeat SS Link's ancestors and how it all started like that.
Also showing the building of Hyrule on land below Skyloft. Just to bring in the remaining pieces of the Time Line.

Alternatively, I would like Zelda game that took place during the war that was spoken of in Ocarina of Time. 'Nuff said.

Nin3DS incorrectly called 3rd-person ''3D' in the topic. He doesn't mean 3D as in visual effect. He meant 'top-down' or '3rd-person'. A common habit old-school gamers make. lol Now that 3D actually exists we have to be careful of the terms we use. It gets easily confusing otherwise.

I'd say make it a mix of both. Have the game be 3rd-person but areas that are mini-game style and top-down.

Nin3DS incorrectly called 3rd-person ''3D' in the topic. He doesn't mean 3D as in visual effect. He meant 'top-down' or '3rd-person'. A common habit old-school gamers make. lol Now that 3D actually exists we have to be careful of the terms we use. It gets easily confusing otherwise.

I'd say make it a mix of both. Have the game be 3rd-person but areas that are mini-game style and top-down.

I know what he meant. I'm just saying. A 3rd person "3D" doesn't work on the 3DS. Look at OoT3DS. It looks horrible compared to Link Between Worlds.

I know what he meant. I'm just saying. A 3rd person "3D" doesn't work on the 3DS. Look at OoT3DS. It looks horrible compared to Link Between Worlds.

Oh, I thought you meant the #D effect was bad in general. I was going to say, some games, yes lol And I didn't play OoT on 3DS so IDK. I avoided it due to being sick of that game after having it on N64, Gamecube Zelda Collector's Disc, Gamecube Master Quest set, and then Wii virtual Console (was on my Wii when I bought it).

I really liked OoT 3D and thought that it was awesome on the 3ds. I wouldn't mind either way, but if it were in third person, then odds are it will be a remake of some sort. I think they will stick with the top down method for upcoming handheld releases.

Doesn't third person just mean that the avatar you play as is seen as if from a perspective other than his/her own? Because unless I'm mistaken, EVERY zelda game has been in third person.

Back on topic, I have generally found that I enjoy the 3d titles to the the 2d/topdown, I'm going to hope for it's 3d. That being said, I wouldn't mind if top down zeldas became handheld exclusive and 3d became console exclusive. Better to play to your strengths after all.

I think top-down works better for handhelds. Link between worlds was fantastic that way. I hope the next one has an original overworld, though.

Doesn't third person just mean that the avatar you play as is seen as if from a perspective other than his/her own? Because unless I'm mistaken, EVERY zelda game has been in third person.

In real life, yes. In the gaming world the terminology for 3rd-person is what we use to describe games that are seen from behind the playable character such as Gears of War, Tomb Raider, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Bayonetta. top-down is used to describe games that are from a high-up angle, but not always birds-eye such as the Zelda 1 game, Diablo 1 and 2, and the original Grand Theft Auto. then you have 'side-scroll' which is obvious, such as the original Mario series and Sonic series.

as for the topic, I'd like a sequel to Minish Cap but using the Ocarina of Time engine (wasn't a fan of Twilight Princess as a game but liked the dark atmosphere and I don't care for the cell shading of Wind Waker). I also agree with Hideyoshi as I bet it will be on the Wii U. they DID announce a while back they were planning to make a Zelda for the Wii U but not before making one game for the 3DS. To me, this is a way of saying "3DS Zelda and then Wii U one will be out after that before any more 3DS versions".

I would like something with the same art style as Link Between Worlds, which I felt was one of the most beautiful (art-wise) Zelda games.

I thought the 2D vs 3D meant pixels (2 dimensional) vs polygons (3 dimensional)....

I actually want a sequel to Wind Waker, or a Prequel, or something, just as long as it uses Wind Waker's art style. I think it'd be cool if they did some sort of time manipulation story line to get you back onto the Great Sea (everything from the original game is there), but now there are several portals opening to old Hyrule. The game would play a bit like ALBW in the sense that you complete a couple dungeons on the surface of the ocean and then the remainder of the game would take place under the sea.

I just wish there was a proper Wind Waker sequel. The two DS games left a bad taste in my mouth and I need something to help me forget it.

Oh yes, and to answer the question I would like it to be 3D (polygons) with the same viewpoint as Wind Waker on the GC/Wii U

Last edited by a moderator:
Spirit Tracks was a great game for me, because being on a train was 3rd person, which is a main part of the game, but controlling Link directly is in top-down like Phantom Hourglass. Personally, if Nintendo could pull off another feat like this, I would be more than satisfied.

I thought the 2D vs 3D meant pixels (2 dimensional) vs polygons (3 dimensional)....

I actually want a sequel to Wind Waker, or a Prequel, or something, just as long as it uses Wind Waker's art style. I think it'd be cool if they did some sort of time manipulation story line to get you back onto the Great Sea (everything from the original game is there), but now there are several portals opening to old Hyrule. The game would play a bit like ALBW in the sense that you complete a couple dungeons on the surface of the ocean and then the remainder of the game would take place under the sea.

I just wish there was a proper Wind Waker sequel. The two DS games left a bad taste in my mouth and I need something to help me forget it.

Oh yes, and to answer the question I would like it to be 3D (polygons) with the same viewpoint as Wind Waker on the GC/Wii U

About the Wind Waker sequel, Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel, placing only months after Wind Waker. So it's already been done. And then Spirit Tracks is 2 generations later, where the Phantom Hourglass Link's grandson is the New Link.

Yeah I know, I just didn't care for them so I'd like Nintendo to try again.

They are the exact same thing, so probably if they did, it would be on both. Well, besides the style, it's the same concept I should say.

CORRECTION***

*I should learn to read. End of story.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back