Should Video Games Be Announced Shortly Before Their Release (Say 2 Months?)

Mother/EarthBound Collection

Greatest Mother/EarthBound Fan & Influencer
Awards
Credits
The only reason I ask is because....well. People wait, wait, and wait for games to be released such as Super Smash Bros. 4, Mario And Luigi: Dream Team, and Yarn Yoshi, but die over information on anything about them.

So I'd say 2 months would be a perfect waiting period, a great amount of time for companies to hand out information regarding the titles, and even properly dispel rumors.

I have been dying over every great and collectable game that you have heard about. As has many more. It's a real pain. 2 months is so much less pain than having to know about an upcoming game for a couple of years. And also knowing that you won't be able to PLAY them for a long time.

I dunno. Long waits help to build up hype for major releases. Remember back in the day when a new Zelda was released? You would be thinking "Finally! After all this time it's here!" Lot's of time from announcement to release gives lots of time to get really excited, and games are ALWAYS better when you're excited about playing them.

I think I understand where you are coming from... Most of the time if I am anxiously awaiting games I think about how amazing this game will turn out to be, which can sometime lead to expecting too much of the game thus making you disappointed with the outcome.

Unfortunately, I am one of these people who are still waiting for Half Life 2: Episode 3 (or whatever it'll be called now) and some news about this new game would definitely cause alot of happiness.

Developers have zero incentive to not announce games until 2 months before they come out. What benefit does that bring? It helps anxious gamers feel a little less anxious?

There's so much more to gain by announcing games earlier. You can gauge public feedback (even easier nowadays with twitter and fb), you can create hype and buzz, you can collect money for pre-orders, you allow children and low-income people to save up money sooner, etc, etc

well some of us find it a real pain to have to wait 2 years for a game from our favorite franchise to come out, while being anxious the whole time.

besides, 2 months is plenty of time to get hyped up, post stuff, and save money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back