Should you Disable the Windows Firewall after installing a third-party firewall software?

Discussion in 'Gadget & Internet Hub' started by froggyboy604, Dec 14, 2017.

1. froggyboy604

froggyboy604 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Money:
    $37,316
    If your computer is slower, having two firewall software can slow down your PC. Having two firewall software running may make your computer not connect to the internet, or slow down the network as well.

2. Danielx64

Danielx64 Well-Known Member Full GL Member

Male
    Having more than one firewall will always cause conflicts and therefore when you install a 3rd party firewall it should disable window's firewall automatically.

3. froggyboy604

Money:
    $37,316
    I notice most third-party firewalls which I try do disable the Windows Firewall.

But, I'm not sure if they disable other third-party firewalls. But, having two third-party firewalls installed will most likely make your internet connection slower, and make some programs like chat programs have problems connecting to the internet, or maintaining a reliable connection to the internet.

4. テクニカル諏訪子

テクニカル諏訪子 _(:3」∠)_ Full GL Member

Male
    Money:
    $11,899
    You can run multiple firewalls, but you have to make sure to apply the same rules to each one of them so that they won't conflict with each other.
    Which also destroys the purpose of having multiple firewalls any way.

5. Demon_Skeith

Demon_Skeith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Top Poster Of Month

pretty sure I'm running my own AV's firewall and Window's basic firewall. Which a lot of times on the AV it does give me issues.

6. Danielx64

Danielx64 Well-Known Member Full GL Member

Male
    I know that some software will try to uninstall other IS or firewalls if they find that it will cause conflicts. You need to remenber that some firewall use drivers as well.

7. F1FTH3LEM3NT

F1FTH3LEM3NT Member

Male
    Money:
    $53
    A firewall is included in my Anti Virus and so I have Windows Defender Firewall turned off. I see no need to have two firewalls, but if you wanted to be extra protected I guess you could use 2 firewalls.

8. froggyboy604

Money:
    $37,316
    I think a software Firewall in Windows, and an external firewall on most routers are good enough for most average computer users. If you need more protection, there are a lot of third-party firewalls which users can buy.

9. Claraviolet

Claraviolet Well-Known Member Full GL Member

Female
    Money:
    $4,321
    I suppose not but it's better that way, if you trust that third party software.
    I have read somewhere that two good protection software would think each other as an enemy which manipulates things xD

10. テクニカル諏訪子

テクニカル諏訪子 _(:3」∠)_ Full GL Member

Male
    Money:
    $11,899
    Not necessarily, but they might indeed conflict a bit with one saying a certain file is a virus, and the other saying it's OK.

11. NameGervin

NameGervin Well-Known Member Full GL Member

Male
    Money:
    $4,323
    I usually disable my anti virus cus most of the time it gets in my way.

12. Claraviolet

Female
    Money:
    $4,321
    You really shouldn't disable anti virus. It's like a basic necessity. I know that people often does it to install some stuff but I would never recommend it to anyone.
    No one can truly protect themselves after all. That's what I believe anyway.

13. NameGervin

Male
    Money:
    $4,323
    Well. It's annoying to see some pop ups. :p But I use anti virus on my scheduled scanning activity.

14. Claraviolet

Female
    Money:
    $4,321
    I always enable my anti-virus and I have a scheduled scan of wise care 365 to remove unwanted stuff from my computer.
    I do use malware bites and anti spyware occasionally.
    I am a bit paranoid I suppose xD

15. NameGervin

Male
    Money:
    $4,323
    Nah, I think youre normal. And I'm the one whose different. :p